September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

28 minutes ago, narduch said:

I don't think Wales is the type of opponents Herdman is thinking of.

I agree but there's what you want and there's what you get. We wanted Argentina and got Uruguay. Maybe we want France but will get Wales.

From that perspective I think Wales are an acceptable opponent. They too just played in the World Cup and they (probably) have more tier 1 players than we do and have a higher FIFA ranking.

I'll add this - if Wales are the warm up match of the window, then great! If they are the headliner, then it's a fail on the program for not getting better opponents. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't think Wales is the type of opponents Herdman is thinking of.

Agreed. If we play two games, fine. But we have to keep hammering at those top 20 teams that present difficulties, we learned a lot from Uruguay, Croatia. May be bad for our rankings but have to get to where we can drive those top 20s nuts, and Wales doesn't do that. Or Austria. In principle Norway doesn't either but just to face Haaland it'd be worth it.

But as I say, if it's just one of a two game window, fine. 

7 hours ago, narduch said:

Herdman said he wants to play tier 1 matches.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed. If we play two games, fine. But we have to keep hammering at those top 20 teams that present difficulties, we learned a lot from Uruguay, Croatia. May be bad for our rankings but have to get to where we can drive those top 20s nuts, and Wales doesn't do that. Or Austria. In principle Norway doesn't either but just to face Haaland it'd be worth it.

But as I say, if it's just one of a two game window, fine. 

But let's face it, the CSA isn't paying for us to play a Tier 1 nation. So is there a Tier 1 nation that wants to pay play us? We don't know.  Which is why I won't be upset if we're playing tier 1.5 or 2 nations (in my mind, regular major tournament participants but not title contenders) is still acceptable. It's also why qualifying for the Copa America is so critical, to play higher opposition we don't normally have access to.

Updates:
Austria will likely host Moldova in Linz in September.
https://www.vienna.at/ofb-plant-testspiel-gegen-deutschland-in-wien/7986403
Both are now in red.

Scotland are likely to play France (in France) in October.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11958513/Scotland-set-travel-France-friendly-October-four-days-Spain-Euro-qualifier.html
Both are now in red.

Germany will host an unnamed opponent in Wolfsburg in September(First Part). Hopefully that is us.
Germany will host France in Dortmund in September(Second Part).
The Germans will indeed travel to the USA to play the US and Mexico somewhere on the East Coast of the USA in October.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:22 PM, Alex said:

Canmntonly on Twitter:

”hearing rumblings that Canada is trying to book a friendly with Germany in September.”

Germany vs Canada @ Volkswagen Arena in Wolfsburg around September 8th is probably the best we can hope for now.
EDIT: Wales, apparently want to host a match (opponent TBD) and Germany already played Costa Rica and Japan at the World Cup, so a non-Japan Asian Team would be our biggest competition to get that friendly.
https://www.aachener-zeitung.de/sport/fussball/flick-bestaetigt-plaene-fuer-oesterreich-test-und-usa-reise_aid-87440255

--------------

The list of teams that are free in September/October by ranking, that are ranked above us:

11. Morocco (we played them at the World Cup)
13. USA (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
14. Germany
15. Mexico (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
18. Senegal
20. Japan (we played them in November - unlikely to play them again)
24. Iran (we won't play them for geopolitical reasons and the fact that we cancelled on them)
26. Wales
27. South Korea
28. Tunisia
29. Australia
34. Algeria
35. Egypt

39. Costa Rica (CONCACAF - we won't play them)
40. Nigeria
42. Cameroon
43. Turkey
45. Côte d'Ivoire

47. Canada

Once again, if anybody reads any news about any of these teams, I will put them in red and we'll keep trimming the list down.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Wales and Germany would be ideal if we can arrange it, and a pre-match camp in Europe would be practical. Otherwise, the opponent would have to be willing to play in Europe which is not a problem if lots of their players are playing club soccer there. I cannot see us travelling too far.