September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

In all seriousness, Oman and Australia would be a very good window for us. Proper tests and you could run out a first choice line up against the Aussies, but an experimental team against Oman. Sounds like just want we need to build our depth while also preparing for the NL quarter finals. Could also be a good chance to build back some momentum, along with our reputation, which we want to see back to where it deserves after emerging as an upstart power from CONCACAF.

23-man Squad I would call for such a window:

GK - Borjan (Slovan Bratislava)

GK - St. Clair (Minnesota)

GK - Sirois (Montreal) ...it's time btw

D - Laryea (La Liga?)

D - Johnston (Celtic)

D - Zator (Korona Kielce)

D - McGraw (Portland)

D - Vitoria (Chaves)

D - Cornelius (Malmo)

D - Miller (Inter Miami)

D - Adekugbe (Galatasaray?)

M - Eustaquio (Porto)

M - Kone (Watford)

M - Loturi (Ross County)

M - Ahmed (Vancouver)

M - Bombito (Colorado)

M - Nelson (Rosenborg)

F - David (Juve?)

F - Ugbo (Cardiff City)

F - Davies (Bayern)

F - Buchanan (Inter?)

F - Millar (Basel)

F - Corbeanu (Grasshopper)

No Larin?

On 7/4/2023 at 6:16 PM, narduch said:

Didn't we turn them down too?

I thought it wasn't that we turned them down, it was that we didn't say "yes" fast enough.  That while DeVos was trying to work out the financials, Mexico accepted (initially).  With the $5m now coming in, I would think this is a much more viable option now.

In this article about John Herdman's take on the Gold Cup, it mentions that hopefully something can be announced about the September and October windows.

"Herdman, who has been clear his team needs to stay busy, says there has been plenty of action behind the scenes trying to set up his team's fall schedule against a backdrop of financial issues with Canada Soccer. He said he's hopeful an announcement will come soon."

On 7/8/2023 at 1:41 PM, Obinna said:

Forgot the big man. Has to be there ahead of Brym.

You didn't list Brym though....

On 7/8/2023 at 12:12 PM, MauditYvon said:

F - David (Juve?)

F - Ugbo (Cardiff City)

F - Davies (Bayern)

F - Buchanan (Inter?)

F - Millar (Basel)

F - Corbeanu (Grasshopper)

I'll assume you'll either drop Corbeanu, or Ugbo? The rest are all untouchable for you?

10 hours ago, Shway said:

You didn't list Brym though....

I'll assume you'll either drop Corbeanu, or Ugbo? The rest are all untouchable for you?

Thought I had but guess I never. Good catch.

I think for Ugbo versus Corbeanu it may come down to form, but generally speaking I think we need to bring Ugbo as that 3rd no. 9 option, though I really want us to get Corbeanu involved again. He's a big talent that should find himself eventually.

I would also be tempted to call both and drop Millar, considering he was just part of the Gold Cup squad. You want to reward players who play well at the NT, which Millar did, but another way to look at it would be that Millar answered some questions for Herdman over the GC, so now JH could bring in Corbeanu to likewise get some answers, if that makes sense.

They'll both be in the same league, so we'd have a means to judge them against each other as well, if we want to make the choice based moreso on form. 

More chatter of Australia playing Mexico. Seeminly will be in Texas. 

Far as I know they still have just one friendly opponent.

Texas to Ontario or Quebec isn't very close. BC is even further away. Would they actually come up to play us, or would they stay in the US to play someone like Guatemala or El Salvador, who would fill up the stands just as easily as Mexico?

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

More chatter of Australia playing Mexico. Seeminly will be in Texas. 

Far as I know they still have just one friendly opponent.

Texas to Ontario or Quebec isn't very close. BC is even further away. Would they actually come up to play us, or would they stay in the US to play someone like Guatemala or El Salvador, who would fill up the stands just as easily as Mexico?

Someone's never been to Whistler. 😉  Australia would actually probably do surprisingly well in Vancouver.  Cost probably still isn't worth it though.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Costa Rica will also go to Europe in September.

Their tentative plan is the United Arab Emirates in Madrid and Saudi Arabia in England.

https://elmundo.cr/deportes/costa-rica-cerca-de-concretar-dos-fogueos-para-el-mes-de-septiembre/

Canada still has opportunities for that window even if the best teams are all taken.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:54 PM, Watchmen said:

Someone's never been to Whistler. 😉  Australia would actually probably do surprisingly well in Vancouver.  Cost probably still isn't worth it though.

Oh yah.. spend 2 hours in Whistler and you're going to want to throw some of those rio geande bouys out into the Juan de fuca

Now just hear me out, if the apperance fees are so much, and we have a few global stars (Davies/David) on our team, decent ranking and are seemingly a beatable opponent for many higher ranked clubs, why dont we just whore ourselves out for a little cash??  I know we all want a game in canada, but if we offer ourselves up as a sparing partner dont we get our guys experience on the road, hostile enviroments etc, toughen them up??  Got to be someone looking for an interesting game for their home crowd?  We dont spend as much and can maybe still swing something that lets Herdman blood a few new guys, and try and keep cohesion going with the rest of the regulars that might show.  

33 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Now just hear me out, if the apperance fees are so much, and we have a few global stars (Davies/David) on our team, decent ranking and are seemingly a beatable opponent for many higher ranked clubs, why dont we just whore ourselves out for a little cash??  I know we all want a game in canada, but if we offer ourselves up as a sparing partner dont we get our guys experience on the road, hostile enviroments etc, toughen them up??  Got to be someone looking for an interesting game for their home crowd?  We dont spend as much and can maybe still swing something that lets Herdman blood a few new guys, and try and keep cohesion going with the rest of the regulars that might show.  

According to JDV, the Saudis offered  us $500K to play them,  but the CSA would have to spend a similar amount to arrange a match for the  CWNT and they don't have the budget for that. Something to do with gender equality apparently.

17 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

According to JDV, the Saudis offered  us $500K to play them,  but the CSA would have to spend a similar amount to arrange a match for the  CWNT and they don't have the budget for that. Something to do with gender equality apparently.

Did we ever get clarify from anyone if "equality" meant "same funding" (ie $500k for the men = $500k for the women) or "equal opportunity" (ie 2 friendlies for the men = 2 friendlies for the women)?

10 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Did we ever get clarify from anyone if "equality" meant "same funding" (ie $500k for the men = $500k for the women) or "equal opportunity" (ie 2 friendlies for the men = 2 friendlies for the women)?

can't find the JDV quote just yet. It was 2 friendlies and a net cost of 200K (700K -500K). The quote stated they had to spend 700K for the CWNT