September and October 2023 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

10 minutes ago, aredding77 said:

Take this for what its worth, there aren't any sources attached to this.  The wikipedia page for the Canadian National Team & Morocco National Team has Canada facing Morocco in Japan on October 9.  A Morocco and Japan October window in Japan would be nice.

image.png.99f3e6a94c1ec4387776abec414abffe.png

Dammit. I booked my Japan trip during the wrong time of year, clearly.

14 minutes ago, aredding77 said:

Take this for what its worth, there aren't any sources attached to this.  The wikipedia page for the Canadian National Team & Morocco National Team has Canada facing Morocco in Japan on October 9.  A Morocco and Japan October window in Japan would be nice.

I wonder if Herdman invites Shawn van Yearden(Yaden? Yarden?) to train with the team if this is in fact happening.

2 hours ago, aredding77 said:

"Our European players can't possibly fly to Vancouver for a game!  That travel is too arduous!"
"Ok, how about flying them to Japan?"
"Sounds good."

45 minutes ago, VinceA said:

This and the youth camps comment sounds like a man slowly but surely starting to get fed up with his bosses and their "help me I'm poor" think that have going on.

Unfortunately, we are poor. But Herdman got his start coaching the women's game, he's used to working with no money.

Which, incidentally, is one of the reasons I always had a hard time buying the people convinced that Ancelotti was going to come coach for this team. He is used to having basically unlimited financial resources.

Edited by Colonel Green

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a bizarre rumour started by Rubén Rodríguez of Fox News:

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/2023/06/16/humillados-en-concacaf-y-en-europa-se-viene-gira-europea-para-el-tri-alemania-uno-de-los-rivales/

https://amp.marca.com/mx/futbol/seleccion-mx/2023/06/17/648cf7e946163fb3318b45c1.html

He claims Mexico will play Germany in September in Europe. This is bizarre because Germany already have two opponents during the September window: France and Japan. If Germany really wanted to play three matches in September and chose to host Mexico, it would likely mean that Mexico are no longer interested in hosting Germany for a friendly match in the USA in October.

The logical outcome would be Germany playing a match against us after playing the USA in Connecticut (instead of playing Mexico in Chicago as was originally rumoured).

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Here is a bizarre rumour started by Rubén Rodríguez of Fox News:

https://www.foxsports.com.mx/2023/06/16/humillados-en-concacaf-y-en-europa-se-viene-gira-europea-para-el-tri-alemania-uno-de-los-rivales/

https://amp.marca.com/mx/futbol/seleccion-mx/2023/06/17/648cf7e946163fb3318b45c1.html

He claims Mexico will play Germany in September in Europe. This is bizarre because Germany already have two opponents during the September window: France and Japan. If Germany really wanted to play three matches in September and chose to host Mexico, it would likely mean that Mexico are no longer interested in hosting Germany for a friendly match in the USA in October.

The logical outcome would be Germany playing a match against us after playing the USA in Connecticut (instead of playing Mexico in Chicago as was originally rumoured).

Why would a giant of UEFA want to play a minnows of Concacaf?

57 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Bruce Arthur’s latest in the Star, he says: “There are real concerns that a September window for the men’s team is in jeopardy — there was a quiet hope of games in Europe, but they have yet to be announced and may not happen at all.”

I mean, who are we going to play in September at this point?

The only cool option left is for Turkey to invite us.

My tracking list proves the point; either we play weaker teams, or we let the players get some rest.

There is good hope for proper high level opponents in October.

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

My tracking list proves the point; either we play weaker teams, or we let the players get some rest.

We could host someone in Langford to give the island their men's match they lost in 2020. Or we can go to Halifax and have a good time. Honestly I don't care who we face, just that we face someone.

sucks though that we aren't glamourous enough to get invited somewhere and have it all paid for.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Better to take the lower level opponent in September then, rather than not play at all. Run out the depth against a smaller nation. Can't really say it's a waste at this point compared to the alternative. The GC squad is missing players like Nelson, JMR, Corbeanu, etc., and we need to develop these guys, so when are we going to do that? It's not going to be against a strong friendly opponent, or it won't be in a competitive match (see their GC absence).

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Nope. CONCACAF Nations League. Only teams that are free from CONCACAF are the USA, Mexico and Costa Rica.

That makes sense. I haven’t looked at our post gold cup schedule much, but I was curious how most of the world is off playing international games in September but we have nothing other than a few potential friendlies.

So what's the answer here? We all want a friendly. The team needs to play friendlies. We want games back in Canada in places like Halifax, Winnipeg, Victoria (still want the T & T game to be replayed). How does CSA right the ship? Is this contract with CSB going to be re-drafted, does the CSA need a fund development department like charities and universities have? Do we start calling similar sized countries with competing sports interests and ask how they get shit done and don't look so useless (Australia, Sweden, South Africa). Christ, even Cuba is playing friendlies against Uruguay this window.  

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

ah, great

Essentially Mexico took our place.

As deVos discussed the offer with colleagues, the agent secured Mexico to play those matches rather than Canada."

I think they were planning on playing at home or in the U.S. in September but now they are going to Europe and will play Korea and Saudi Arabia:

https://www.futbolsapiens.com/actualidad-futbol-mexicano/los-amistosos-que-tendria-la-seleccion-mexicana-en-septiembre-y-octubre-son-de-calidad/

https://soyreferee.com/futbolmx/2023/6/21/seleccion-mexicana-reportan-que-tendra-gira-por-europa-en-septiembre-2023-rivales-para-octubre-20508.html

Mexico will likely host Ghana and Germany in October just like the USA.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Colonel Green said:

Broke:  playing France and Argentina
Woke:  playing Oman and Uzbekistan

Or wait, in this case I think in this case you have to reverse the broke/woke meme template.

Oman and Uzbekistan are playing the USA in St. Louis and Minneapolis.

I assume Costa Rica will be the other CONCACAF host country.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille