Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

Giving out freebies is not ideal, of course. The question is what's better: a half empty stadium or a big crowd where many got in for free? For the opening match I'm not sure there's a clear answer.

An experience that went great that everyone who missed and regrets will want to redress asap.

Freebies is a shitty way to build momentum as it's fundamentally unfair.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

But that's inaccurate. One end is standing and has an entire end zone between the fans and the goal. No track, sure. But some of it definitely not "on top of the pitch".

Which end are you referring to as standing? No standing room tickets being sold.

As for on top of the pitch, its not exactly as close as it could be but its good on the main grandstands.

Vancouver FC: Building a soccer supporters' culture, one chant at a time

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/vancouver-fc-building-a-soccer-supporters-culture-one-chant-at-a-time

Vancouver FC will play its first home match Sunday, when they host Cavalry FC at Willoughby Community Park at the Langley Events Centre (4 p.m., OneSoccer).

FC is a new entry in the CPL, coming from a name and concept in November, to the present: A team that’s 1-1-1 and tied for third in the league.

So too is the FVF. It’s grown from concept, to the few dozen who followed VFC around the Lower Mainland for pre-season games, to the almost 100 who made the trek to Victoria for the game against Pacific.

Meisenheimer likened it to a seed that’s been planted and germinated. The stalk broke ground against Pacific, and now a small shoot is beginning to emerge.

Soccer is unique — to North America, at least — in the way its fans engage at games. Visiting supporters are put in the same section, home-and-away fans all have songs and chants, and pyrotechnics are commonplace.

Being a new group, FVF doesn’t have the history and body of tradition to draw upon, like the Vancouver Whitecaps’ Southsiders and their singing of Boundary Road, for example.

Curious as to why you would design a stadium which features quite a large (and for this game quite packed) stand on one side of the pitch and a much smaller (and less than half full, for this game anyways) stand on the other side and then decide to have the cameras facing the small stand? I get it (higher angle and all) but also don't. To be honest it looked pretty sad on tv. That being said, the supporters looked amazing (best tifo yet?) and the stadium was a pleasant surprise as far as modulars go. Well done!

5 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Curious as to why you would design a stadium which features quite a large (and for this game quite packed) stand on one side of the pitch and a much smaller (and less than half full, for this game anyways) stand on the other side and then decide to have the cameras facing the small stand? I get it (higher angle and all) but also don't. To be honest it looked pretty sad on tv. That being said, the supporters looked amazing (best tifo yet?) and the stadium was a pleasant surprise as far as modulars go. Well done!

Because on the other side there is an elevated field behind that stand. So they ran out of room for more stands. I thought a sneaky good spot to watch is the North side grassy hill. Nice little standing room area and place to chill. People complained about the potential of rain but actually I got the sense that in the middle of the summer that stadium will be cooking. Tarps off for sure come July August 

Edited by SpursFlu

With a fair amount of seats available, apparently 10%, seems VFC erred giving stuff away then post a Sold Out, kill off the chance for enthusiastic walk up fans.

Or am I completely off based?

Comment to @PegCityCam... the explanation is correct, the field to the east is maybe 3 metres higher or more. Anyways, your comment ignores that the light is coming from the south west and the camera correctly takes advantage of that, apart from benefitting from the higher vantage point.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With a fair amount of seats available, apparently 10%, seems VFC erred giving stuff away then post a Sold Out, kill off the chance for enthusiastic walk up fans.

Or am I completely off based?

Comment to @PegCityCam... the explanation is correct, the field to the east is maybe 3 metres higher or more. Anyways, your comment ignores that the light is coming from the south west and the camera correctly takes advantage of that, apart from benefitting from the higher vantage point.

Who said 10% were available? Leaf games always look like there are open tons of open seats too but that’s because the seat holders are elsewhere in the stadium/arena. 

9 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

I was there and thought similarity about the empty seats across the field to the east. They used to do the same for games at Swangard, iirc.

The tifo was class, though!

15 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

My in-depth review of the new stadium and experience: good enough for the girls we go with. Enjoyed it overall. Great to be outside.

Great to be outside is the best part. Besides the level of play, that is the real differentiation they should focus on, especially during the summer time.

The stadium is not much more than larger bleachers around a field. It is amazing how little it takes to make us happy. When things were first announced, I was hoping for more permanent looking modular stands, like the new ones in Langford, but we will settle for this. On rainy days, it won't be pleasant.

The supporter/Valley/GA stand really feels like a terrace. But the railings and benches are so close together, that if anybody wants to leave the row, there is no room to pass.

Am curious to see how much work still needs to be done and how much things improve when the stadium is completely finished.

13 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Who said 10% were available? Leaf games always look like there are open tons of open seats too but that’s because the seat holders are elsewhere in the stadium/arena. 

Yup, my group at the game noticed and commented how many people were not in there seats and at the concessions (line ups throughout the game), kids at the bouncy thing, facepainting, and other activities that went on during the game, standing at north side and east side top platform, etc.

5 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Yup, my group at the game noticed and commented how many people were not in there seats and at the concessions (line ups throughout the game), kids at the bouncy thing, facepainting, and other activities that went on during the game, standing at north side and east side top platform, etc.

Starlight is the same. Long lines at half, lots of people moving around the stadium. The mini-donut machine can only move so fast…