Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

An important piece of info is buried at the end:

...Vancouver and Cristian Mares, who previously signed with VFC on loan from Puebla FC in Liga MX, have mutually terminated the midfielder’s contract. He is no longer included on Vancouver’s roster.

as for this bit:

...He played his youth soccer with several well-known English clubs in and around London, including Crystal Palace F.C., Hayes and Yeading United F.C., Aveley F.C. and Romford F.C...

One out of four fits the description well-known. If that's the order he played for them in, I wouldn't get too excited. The Mexican player was having visa issues and they had to find a last minute replacement maybe?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

Romford are in the Essex Senior League apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romford_F.C.

Was googling earlier and the French club he was with according to transfermarkt, Sèvres FC, are difficult to find via google so I assume are at an amateur sort of level.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/emmanuel-robe/profil/spieler/938518

Is there really nobody they can sign locally from the VMSL and FVSL that would be better than this guy? Some of the imports that are brought in by CanPL clubs just seem to be for the optics of having a few on each roster. Looks like the agent involved is the reason judging by the other CanPL players that are on their books:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/onside-sports-amp-entertainment-group-ltd/beraterfirma/berater/11107

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Romford are in the Essex Senior League apparently:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romford_F.C.

Was googling earlier and the French club he was with according to transfermarkt, Sèvres FC, are difficult to find via google so I assume are at an amateur sort of level.

Is there really nobody they can sign locally from the VMSL and FVSL that would be better than this guy? Some of the imports that are brought in by CanPL clubs just seem to be for the optics of having a few on each roster. Looks like the agent involved is the reason judging by the other CanPL players that are on their books:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/onside-sports-amp-entertainment-group-ltd/beraterfirma/berater/11107

How can anyone answer this without seeing him play first?

52 minutes ago, narduch said:

Little details: the West stand extends slightly past the end line. This helps close the stadium more on a few corners.

There's a large end zone that I think is mostly to accommodate rugby, the posts are still up in fact. So the supporter section is set back from the goal line, which I don't like much.

The way the concrete is poured I think the East stand will be like the West on one end at least.

These stands are lacking some signature detail to label the stadium, a sign it architectural feature, like you'd get above or off the top of a main stand.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There's a large end zone that I think is mostly to accommodate rugby, the posts are still up in fact. So the supporter section is set back from the goal line, which I don't like much.

You will recall Swangard Stadium with the supporters section right behind the goal and set back about two metres. What was the name of that Seattle Sounders keeper we always called "Chicken Legs"? Great battle of wills between that guy and the fans. You could practically touch the net.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thinking about it a bit, it makes more sense now that they'd have "tickets for $100" as an early offer, before supporters could see how far away from the pitch that section would be.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Thinking about it a bit, it makes more sense now that they'd have "tickets for $100" as an early offer, before supporters could see how far away from the pitch that section would be.

I mean, it is not terrible, it is not like behind a track or something. But it is a bit far.

Then, I don't see they've installed seats yet, I hope that is not a standing only area as that is not practical. A supporter section will stand if it wants to stand no problem.

Then, a virtue: they've at least put the first row a metre or so up above the pitch. At Starlight they first row of the main stand is very low, almost pitch level, you can't really see properly down that low. We've seen how good the supporter section looks at Spruce Meadows, and in Halifax I think, where it is upraised, an end section that is up a bit gains a lot.

On 4/15/2023 at 12:17 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He probably wasn't at that French club. He was born in that city (Sevres) but moved when he was 3 to England. Transfermarkt probably took where he was from as his club by mistake.

18 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

You will recall Swangard Stadium with the supporters section right behind the goal and set back about two metres. What was the name of that Seattle Sounders keeper we always called "Chicken Legs"? Great battle of wills between that guy and the fans. You could practically touch the net.

If he had a pocket of sweets and cheeky smile, it must have been... Preston Burpo?

On 4/19/2023 at 4:40 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Then, I don't see they've installed seats yet, I hope that is not a standing only area as that is not practical. A supporter section will stand if it wants to stand no problem.

Was talking to someone in the know at the TSS game last night. Standing only in supporters section in Langley. No seats.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Was talking to someone in the know at the TSS game last night. Standing only in supporters section in Langley. No seats.

I don't agree with it frankly. It's unfair to kids, to many like me who are older. I have an Achilles tear from a futsal injury and the other heel with bursitis. I'll bounce a while, then sit.

Stands without seats are now illegal in many countries and leagues. 

I saw the entire Sánchez Pijuan bouncing in unison last night, Sevilla, including the boxes and main stand, and everyone there had seats.

On 4/19/2023 at 12:32 PM, rydermike said:

He probably wasn't at that French club. He was born in that city (Sevres) but moved when he was 3 to England. Transfermarkt probably took where he was from as his club by mistake.

Anyone can edit transfermark info. It was probably just a fan. His Wiki page says Vancouver is his 6th club and 3rd country in a year?! He sounds like a young kid just trying to break into the game

All the audio from the post game press conferences of the Apr 22nd/2023 CPL game between York United FC and Vancouver FC.  Over 57 minutes! Martin Nash and Max Ferrari and Van's Afshin Ghotbi, Shaan Hundal, and Gael Sandoval. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports23/23york045.htm   

Just for history as the game threads disappear.  

How about singing for Hundal during the 6th minute of that first home game?