Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

5 hours ago, narduch said:

To be fair, for what it is, it's not a bad looking ground. I would much rather see a couple of these stadiums than say York's ground or the inappropriatly large stadiums of Valour or Forge. I mean 3-5,000 fans in a stadium like this will look better on tv and probably lead to more people wanting to turn out. Forge could then maybe use Tim Horton's for big games or something.

Stands just need roofs 😛

Edited by StillOnFire

Looking forward to Sunday to see how it all turns out.  Heading there with my kids, so interested in the food and the toilet situation.  I sure hope they add enough toilets.

As for the food I gather it's food trucks.  I've been to Giants games (WHL), and the concession prices are fantastic.  I remember being blown away at how reasonable it was after anticipating a gouging.  Same with the Rivermen (BCHL) game at George Preston Arena.  But the arenas is operated by the Township, whereas food trucks are private so we'll see.  

15 hours ago, nolando said:

Besides the $10 tickets, I can confitm that a large number of free tickets are being given out for the home opener on Sunday.

Don't like that too much. Better for the hype itself to sell what it can. Not selling yourself short from the start. 

Then later you can target for freebies, though it generally creates bad blood. Committed soccer people pay and borderlines look for freebies. And you can feel it's unfair. And borderlines will continue to scratch for deals further along.

"Ha, you're telling me you paid?"

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't like that too much. Better for the hype itself to sell what it can. Not selling yourself short from the start. 

Then later you can target for freebies, though it generally creates bad blood. Committed soccer people pay and borderlines look for freebies. And you can feel it's unfair. And borderlines will continue to scratch for deals further along.

Giving out freebies is not ideal, of course. The question is what's better: a half empty stadium or a big crowd where many got in for free? For the opening match I'm not sure there's a clear answer.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Giving out freebies is not ideal, of course. The question is what's better: a half empty stadium or a big crowd where many got in for free? For the opening match I'm not sure there's a clear answer.

Having just checked their ticket site I see nothing left in the north and east stands.  The west grandstand has maybe 300, mostly expensive ($68) tickets left.  The south grandstand also shows with tickets left but I can't tell how many because it is general admission so they don't show seats.  Could be anywhere from a handful to a lot.

Overall, though, it looks like they'll have a great crowd regardless of what people paid.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I remember reading an interesting article about a decade ago that was basically this. "Freebies/discounts" help you in the very short term, but creates difficulties later when you then try to charge actual market value. Casual fans won't bother to go at full price, unless the team becomes *really* dominant.  Article was about the NHL and its over-reliance on this practice (in the US, less so in Canada), specifically the Chicago Blackhawks and how it took them being Stanley Cup champions to basically break the cycle with fans.

28 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Having just checked their ticket site I see nothing left in the north and east stands.  The west grandstand has maybe 300, mostly expensive ($68) tickets left.  The south grandstand also shows with tickets left but I can't tell how many because it is general admission so they don't show seats.  Could be anywhere from a handful to a lot.

Overall, though, it looks like they'll have a great crowd regardless of what people paid.

Apparently, they're over 5k now. Hopefully the match convinces fans to return, but neither Vancouver or Cavalry play particularly attractive football from what I saw of them on the island. Neither did Forge though. 

25 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Rob Friend on Halford & Brough this AM locally. Despite showing up late for his hit, he did inspire some confidence that the atmosphere at Willoughby will be good. Compare it to Empire in 2011...

If it's 5-6 K we'd be better comparing with the gate and atmosphere near the end of the Whitecaps' Swangard days. And I am guessing it will be at least as good. Looking forward to it.

27 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Rob Friend on Halford & Brough this AM locally. Despite showing up late for his hit, he did inspire some confidence that the atmosphere at Willoughby will be good. Compare it to Empire in 2011...

Halford and Brough sounds like they should be a Conference team in England, btw.

1 minute ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The context was all seated, no track, on top of the pitch. Not capacity.

But that's inaccurate. One end is standing and has an entire end zone between the fans and the goal. No track, sure. But some of it definitely not "on top of the pitch".

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

They are the only local mainstream media that pay any attention to Canadian soccer. Galindo is a regular guest.

Yup. Gressel on the other day from the Whitecaps. Halford regularly attends games. Had someone on from TSS before the Voyageurs Cup game and then discussed the upset win over Valour later. And I know they get a ton of blowback/complaints about it all.

Edited by Watchmen

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Yup. Gressel on the other day from the Whitecaps. Halford regularly attends games. Had someone on from TSS before the Voyageurs Cup game and then discussed the upset win over Valour later. And I know they get a ton of blowback/complaints about it all.

He plays locally and I think he played goal for UBC. He considers himself a bit of a Voyageurs because when Canada plays he's talked about watching terrible games and living thru the agony of supporting Canada for so many miserable years

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They get blowback because of all the soccer talk??