Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I am planning to be down for next Saturday's afternoon game vs HFX.  Hopefully, the start time stays at 1 PM and they don't change it to an evening match because then I won't be able to attend.  I 

I really encourage you to get in touch with the guys on the board going, and also say hi to the supporter section. You have transport?

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I really encourage you to get in touch with the guys on the board going, and also say hi to the supporter section. You have transport?

Yes, I do.  

I just want to get a feel for the experience there on and off the field.  I really enjoyed the Pacific FC experience, despite having to bus it from downtown to Langford.  Eatrly afternoon game, hopefully the weather holds up.  I might stay in the immediate area Friday night and see what that's like, who knows.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, BearcatSA said:

Yes, I do.  

I just want to get a feel for the experience there on and off the field.  I really enjoyed the Pacific FC experience, despite having to bus it from downtown to Langford.  Eatrly afternoon game, hopefully the weather holds up.  I might stay in the immediate area Friday night and see what that's like, who knows.

I spent the Friday night in Chilliwack and then drove in the next morning.  It was an easy drive in and the parking was plentiful and free.   I arrived about 2 hòurs before game time so I could gawk around. There was a very large junior and secondary volleyball tourney underway at the LEC and gymnasiums while youth soccer was going on the other fields, including the balll field.  It is an impressive sporting complex.

The one thing I noted is that I didn't find any offsite retail food service options available within easy walking distance, particularly on 80th  at the corners of 200 or 202A, especially with a nearby secondary school and all the sports traffic.   I guess the soccer moms and dads pick up their Tim's or Starbucks at a drive through elsewhere before they arrive.  I saw east on 80th a small strip mall with a not-yet-open Mary's Chicken and Papa Johns. I didn't want to hop back in my car again to drive north or south on 200th to find something so I waited around until the stadium gates opened and bought some food there and ate it in the elements.

It was really too bad that it was a poor weather day, so I wasn't expecting much in attendance (and it was REALLY sparce, make no mistake).  I would like to attend an evening game next summer but also a Bandits b-ball game just to see what the vibe is like in comparison.

23 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The one thing I noted is that I didn't find any offsite retail food service options available within easy walking distance, particularly on 80th  at the corners of 200 or 202A, especially with a nearby secondary school and all the sports traffic.   I guess the soccer moms and dads pick up their Tim's or Starbucks at a drive through elsewhere before they arrive.  I saw east on 80th a small strip mall with a not-yet-open Mary's Chicken and Papa Johns. I didn't want to hop back in my car again to drive north or south on 200th to find something so I waited around until the stadium gates opened and bought some food there and ate it in the elements.

There's a Bar/restaurant a few minutes down 200th from the LEC, the S & L Kitchen and Bar, and a liquor store besides that, plus a commercial section of small businesses across the street below the Latimer Heights condos that has Japanese food, a bakery, and more businesses still to come in the area with development still ongoing. Hoping for a pub in the future in the area, there's a 45 story tower that's still going up between the LEC and Latimer Heights on 82nd and 200th, so more commercial will be going in on ground level there.

Edited by CDNFootballer

15 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

There's a Bar/restaurant a few minutes down 200th from the LEC, the S & L Kitchen and Bar, and a liquor store besides that, plus a commercial section of small businesses across the street below the Latimer Heights condos that has Japanese food, a bakery, and more businesses still to come in the area with development still ongoing. Hoping for a pub in the future in the area, there's a 45 story tower that's still going up between the LEC and Latimer Heights on 82nd and 200th, so more commercial will be going in on ground level there.

I think S & L Kitchen is the bar that @nolando was telling me didn't even know a game was on the other day? Thought it was a Vancouver Giants event.

Edited by Watchmen

16 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

I saw that the S & L bar and others places were north on 200th towards the freeway but with the weather deteriorating I thought it would be a a little too much of a hike in those conditions, ditto walking south.

Next summer, I can see what it is like for a match with better weather.

7 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think S & L Kitchen is the bar that @nolando was telling me didn't even know a game was on the other day? Thought it was a Vancouver Giants event.

Yeah, its not a footy bar for sure, but the food and drinks are ok.

Think the Barley Merchant is the only place associating with the team, they've had some watch parties and pre match stuff there, but its not an easy walk from the LEC like the S & L is if one is looking for a place in easy walking distance. The Barley Merchant is over by the theatre's.