Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

37 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Diaz has been a bit of a bust in the Norwegian 2nd division (Obosligaen).    It’s an opportunity for him to rebuild his career a bit coming back to CPL, I suppose.  

9 goal contributions in 11 matches last season. That's pretty good. When they didn't promote, I imagine they started shopping him, which is why he hasn't played much this year

Just now, Aird25 said:

9 goal contributions in 11 matches last season. That's pretty good. When they didn't promote, I imagine they started shopping him, which is why he hasn't played much this year

I think Sogndal overspent.  Can’t believe they paid a transfer fee to Pacific.  He had started quite a few games on the bench and when you consider how small a club and place Sogndal is, it just seemed like an odd transfer in the first place.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I think Sogndal overspent.  Can’t believe they paid a transfer fee to Pacific.  He had started quite a few games on the bench and when you consider how small a club and place Sogndal is, it just seemed like an odd transfer in the first place.

Yeah, I don't understand the economics from their perspective at all. I imagine they must have been banking on a payday with promotion.

11 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Vancouver brings in highly experienced brazilian midfielder Renan Garcia...mutual termination with Sandoval and Jamshidi and Hundal will wear #10

Vancouver FC brings on a guiding hand in Renan Garcia

a little research on garcia...played for teams in 6 countries: brazil spain portugal romania italy uae...played in Serie A (scored 2 goals in Serie A) and was part of the powerful Cluj team which took the Romanian league title in 2012...after his contract in the UAE in 2016 he only played in 2019 in the 3rd tier of the Sao Paulo state league and then in 2021 again in the 3rd tier of the Sao Paulo state league...meaning no competitive games in the last 2 years...so guess fitness and endurance is a question mark

That had crossed my mind as well but doesn't look like it:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/afshin-ghotbi/profil/trainer/10324

https://www.transfermarkt.com/renan/profil/spieler/52999

This looks on the surface at least almost as bizarre as the signing of Emmanuel Robe and that points to desperation at short notice resulting in a very limited set of options through some agent the league uses. 

To me it seems like a guy who approached the club and they said come thru and we'll have a look. He probably impressed once he showed up. He's older but he looks pretty big for a midfielder. Was probably tossing those kids around in training and they thought we could go for some of that. I have observed the Vancouver fc has been a little soft thru the midfield 

• 2 weeks later...

ghotbi not caring about data would be funny as he was an analyst early in his career...but could see why he would be unhappy with gage if he had a big hand in bringing the internationals as it didnt work out with robe and sandoval

hopefully this vancouver drama gets in order very soon because its not a good look overall...the league basically introduced a new rule midseason for them and now we are hearing of a bust up with gage and one of the members of the coaching staff