Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, masster said:

I will go over 1,000 season tickets. That line is too low. I would have set it at 1,500.

Average attendance, over or under 3,300?

Over.They have to get the stadium experience right, but the location will work, you even have considerable parking at the Event Centre.

I've been watching a bit the Bandits basketball team, and they broke the CEBL record for a game last July at 4,400 fans. They've just sold to local owners, rebranded from Fraser Valley to Vancouver. You see a bit of synergy happening where you've got a fan culture building, and that should not be competiting, it should complement. 

I think they should get a stadium render out, at least, as that would help leverage sales.

If you want to listen to a discussion with the new manager and some other details on the club, AFTN's latest podcast has that:

https://aftn.ca/episode-533-the-aftn-soccer-show/

I think the part people here would be interested in is that the stadium is being built in China and won't ship for a while still. As well, it's not going to be what Friend originally envisioned.  Funding is still there and it's going to be built, but it sounds like it's going to be scaled back a bit, and that the new mayor/council might not be quite as onboard as the previous one. That part's in the post-interview discussion.

18 hours ago, masster said:

Lets start speculating about potential players.

I would expect to see Kadin Chung return to CPL.

The two Bens, maybe? Although McKendry would have to be coaxed, I'd imagine.

Saw UBC play a playoff match the other weekend and Thomas Gardner and Victory Shumbusho both look like they could easily play higher level football still, at least as squad players.

Edited by nolando

17 hours ago, masster said:

Lets start speculating about potential players.

I would expect to see Kadin Chung return to CPL.

Just looking along the lines of BC-based, former Whitecaps Academy:

Sean Melvin's contract is up at Ottleti, and he might be starting keeper calibre.

If VWFC2 don't pick up Emiliano Brienza's team option, he might be at the age where he's looking to be the CPL's next Woobens.

Hakkinen & Stanese on expiring contracts in Europe.

Nicolas Apostol, Matteo Polisi, Gianfranco Facchineri all played CPL in recent years and are currently free agents.

From what the new coach was saying, they were looking at all the possible CPL players available, which they numbered as 45. All free agents, not just those with BC connections. 

I don't know how housing is working (supposing some clubs might find ways to put up players to reduce their costs), but we saw one of the Polisi brothers go from TSS Rovers to HFX--and we've seen quite a bit of movement from region to region, without clear regional loyalties dominating. Or am I wrong? 

So I have to think you look at the best you can find, and make offers. They said they needed to get to 16 Canadians, so that is where they'll start. The CPL available players, then possible loans from MLS teams, any Canadians in the US or overseas interested in returning (like Cavalry picking up Cantave), maybe whoever is considered of the highest quality in any L1, in BC or elsewhere. Then any former pros or with experience in an MLS academy who may be at University in BC. 

Then they'll have a few players making overtures to them, possibly interested in changing scenery and with contractual situations they can get out of.

Of the 45 mentioned free agents in CPL, some are not Canadian, so they are also part of that 8-10 non CDN contingent the team might end up with.

All of this is done within what I assume is standard salary scaling in CPL. If they chose to spend 800 grand on 24 players, it could look like this

3 for 200k

7 for the next 300k

8 for the next 200k

The final 100k for 6-7 players.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From what the new coach was saying, they were looking at all the possible CPL players available, which they numbered as 45. All free agents, not just those with BC connections. 

I don't know how housing is working (supposing some clubs might find ways to put up players to reduce their costs), but we saw one of the Polisi brothers go from TSS Rovers to HFX--and we've seen quite a bit of movement from region to region, without clear regional loyalties dominating. Or am I wrong? 

Last years Pacific FC roster for comparison saw 18 Canadians on the roster. 6 of those players were from BC (including 2 that were from the Island) and an additional 3 had previously played in BC prior to coming to Pacific (TSS, Uni, VWFC, etc.)

A 50% hit rate of players that had local connections. I'd assume that earlier years were stronger than that with the young ex-VWFC academy contingent that has since moved on. That being said, we will definitely see lots of recruitment from across the country, but I'd imagine there is slight bias given to those with familiar roots. 

23 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If you want to listen to a discussion with the new manager and some other details on the club, AFTN's latest podcast has that:

https://aftn.ca/episode-533-the-aftn-soccer-show/

I think the part people here would be interested in is that the stadium is being built in China and won't ship for a while still. As well, it's not going to be what Friend originally envisioned.  Funding is still there and it's going to be built, but it sounds like it's going to be scaled back a bit, and that the new mayor/council might not be quite as onboard as the previous one. That part's in the post-interview discussion.

"might not be 100% what they're looking for initially" was mentioned in the podcast, not sure what that would mean, possibly the # of seats, as initially Friend did mention 7k and later 8k for seating, with a more recent 4-6K being written about around August. I figure its more likely to be 5K to start which is a good figure out of the gate.

• 5 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I get the whole closer to home thing and it's legitimate, but it still made me giggle, like Pacific play in another continent!

Looking forward to finding just how ambitious VanFC are with their roster build announcements coming up.

Try taking a car onto a BC Ferries vessel on a weekend and you'll quickly learn that Victoria may as well be on another continent to the Lower Mainland! 😄 

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Try taking a car onto a BC Ferries vessel on a weekend and you'll quickly learn that Victoria may as well be on another continent to the Lower Mainland! 😄 

Lol beat me to it. With family on the Sunshine Coast and Victoria trust me, once BC Ferries gets involved it might as well be friggin Mars