Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

The team's ending the season on a roll, which is great to see for an expansion side.  Friday night of Thanksgiving weekend is a perfect time for a gathering of family and friends outside the home.  If the weather is half decent, then there are no excuses for not having a good gate here.

If you are in the area, have your social get together at the game.  Heck, I came down from the Okanagan for it and a couple of my buddies even went to Victoria to see Pacific-VFC this past weekend.

Support local football!

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

🇨🇦/🇭🇹 Cantave has played his way back into the Haiti 🇭🇹 preliminary squad for the October CONCACAF Nations League matches.

I knew the name but not the pkayer and I've been really impressed with him. I like the combination of him and Bitar being two buzzsaws up front. Diaz hasn't scored many goals but those two water bugs working off Diaz as a reference point has really worked for Vancouver 

Edited by SpursFlu

42 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The east stand appears to be the side opposite from the vantage point of the Onesoccer cameras that is never on public sale online because there are still plenty of tickets available elsewhere on showpass.

Did you eyeball the cardinal points? From which stand does it appear you can see the Rocky Mountains?

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Did you eyeball the cardinal points? From which stand does it appear you can see the Rocky Mountains?

I think he's phrased it a bit awkwardly, but it's a case of the side facing the camera is completely sold out while the side with the camera seems to be at best a third full. So, I just suspect they've distributed tickets (free or discounted) to a number of groups on the camera side already to "sell it out".

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

...So, I just suspect they've distributed tickets (free or discounted) to a number of groups on the camera side already to "sell it out".

Will be interesting to see how full the East Stand is for this game, which hopefully won't be their "Historic Final Home Match". A regular generous distribution of ultimately unused tickets to various sponsors, local soccer associations etc on the side of the stadium that isn't available for online sale would be one of ways they could have been achieving numbers in the 2100-2300 range when there are clearly significantly fewer people than that actually at most of their games.

The evening weather will be excellent.  I expect a really good gate in terms of actual bums in the seats regardless as to how the tickets were acquired or allocated.  There might be a really good walk up crowd for this one.

The team's playing well and show promise for next season.  There are no other sporting or major event distractions in the area.  No excuses.

10 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

The evening weather will be excellent.  I expect a really good gate in terms of actual bums in the seats regardless as to how the tickets were acquired or allocated.  There might be a really good walk up crowd for this one.

The team's playing well and show promise for next season.  There are no other sporting or major event distractions in the area.  No excuses.

Nope.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2023 at 11:15 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

The basketball games at the LEC get similar or slightly better crowds than VFC. Lots of young people.

They need to work better. Then hopefully the can use better results to leverage larger crowds. Even if they are up 10-15% next year, 200-300 more, it's not enough but it's significant.

Bandits didn't report attendance for 5 games this season but rest averaged 1,713. High was 4,566. Low was 1k. 8/10 in the CEBL.

VFC average was 1k better at 2,790 with high of 6,177 and low of 2,099. 

So, both are at the bottom of their leagues.

On 10/21/2023 at 2:25 AM, narduch said:

Thanks 

He speaks very nice Spanish.

Typical of these podcasts there are huge gaps in details, but he does clarify he was thriving in top flight Romania, starting, broke a foot bone, didn't recover properly, and that's what made him decide to do a reset returning to Canada.

Also clarifies the early part of his career going to Nantes age 13.

On the VFC side of things, maybe his comments about the team being so young and he being a veteran, with a different role on the team.

Also pleased to discover this podcast, from a Mexican who went to study at UBC aged 21 and stayed.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Latest AFTN had an interview with Rob Friend. Some quick notes:

- Says they "didn't know what their market was" when they came in and cast to wide of a net. Thinks they have better data now, and will just be concentrating on attracting people from Langley, Abbotsford, Coquitlam, and "half of Surrey".

- Says they participated in 190 events last year, but only 3 or 4 of them resulted increased attendance for a game.

- Says they're not happy with the stadium ("it isn't what we were promised"). They're discussing what improvements they can make over the winter. Sounds like this will be coming out of their own pocket.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

- Says they "didn't know what their market was" when they came in and cast to wide of a net. Thinks they have better data now, and will just be concentrating on attracting people from Langley, Abbotsford, Coquitlam, and "half of Surrey".

- Says they participated in 190 events last year, but only 3 or 4 of them resulted increased attendance for a game.

- Says they're not happy with the stadium ("it isn't what we were promised"). They're discussing what improvements they can make over the winter. Sounds like this will be coming out of their own pocket.

Think they had a jersey reveal way over in Richmond, as well as one other event out there possibly, which was very perplexing at the time as a few others had mentioned. Good to hear they will try to target their direct market area.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Sounds like they're pointed in the right direction 

10 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Think they had a jersey reveal way over in Richmond, as well as one other event out there possibly, which was very perplexing at the time as a few others had mentioned. Good to hear they will try to target their direct market area.

Friend actually commented that "they had people in Richmond tell us they would come, then they didn't come".

Honestly, Friend can say they "didn't know what their market was" but I think they also approached it all with a bit of...not quite arrogance, but definitely a degree of "knowing better than others". And they've quickly learned it's a tough market, with a lot of competition for eyes and dollars. Will be interested to see what they do next year, because they'll have to regroup a bit.

I think people from the Valley are definitely taken for granted in the Lower Mainland. People in the Vancouver area don't really get it until they live it. It's like yah come to Vancouver for this or that why wouldn't you? Vancouver is a world class city lol ask the question in reverse and people are like not on your life. Why would I do something so crazy. That's way too far. People don't get It's the same distance both directions. Which seems obvious but apparently not lol. I applaud them for rolling with the punches and remaining flexible. Rome wasn't built in a day. Now do something about the name. One can only hope

Having been a day one season ticket holder with both PFC and VFC, it's so strange how different the experiences have been. PFC mailed out free kit tops, used the tried and true Ticketmaster app (including the ability to sell back tickets in year one) had reps that would call you up, ask for feedback and certainly ask you to renew. It felt like a club. VFC didn't have a season ticket package or, at least made no effort to make me aware of it, used that shit showpass app, never called and made me track them down to deal with ticketing issues, and no one has called me to renew. Definitely does not feel like a club. It's hard to describe what it feels like. A hipster charity that is too cool to acknowledge you? Not sure.