Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

12 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Having been a day one season ticket holder with both PFC and VFC, it's so strange how different the experiences have been. PFC mailed out free kit tops, used the tried and true Ticketmaster app (including the ability to sell back tickets in year one) had reps that would call you up, ask for feedback and certainly ask you to renew. It felt like a club. VFC didn't have a season ticket package or, at least made no effort to make me aware of it, used that shit showpass app, never called and made me track them down to deal with ticketing issues, and no one has called me to renew. Definitely does not feel like a club. It's hard to describe what it feels like. A hipster charity that is too cool to acknowledge you? Not sure. 

Cheaper for the club than going through Ticketmaster?

15 hours ago, Watchmen said:

And they've quickly learned it's a tough market, with a lot of competition for eyes and dollars.

This.  I've said this a ton on here.  We're in a much different recreatlonal world than we were in two decades ago.  Consumers have lots of options available for limited $ and time.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

...Honestly, Friend can say they "didn't know what their market was" but I think they also approached it all with a bit of...not quite arrogance, but definitely a degree of "knowing better than others"...

As with York 9 in 2019 they seem to have assumed there was more of a market of fans actively looking for an alternative to MLS than there really was. If the people who told them they were going to show up and then didn't were youth club related they maybe could have learned something by talking to the people who ran York 9 at launch because my understanding from podcast interviews (mainly Carmine Isacco) is that was also perceived as having been an issue for them as well.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As with York 9 in 2019 they seem to have assumed there was more of a market of fans actively looking for an alternative to MLS than there really was. If the people who told them they were going to show up and then didn't were youth club related they maybe could have learned something by talking to the people who ran York 9 at launch because my understanding from podcast interviews (mainly Carmine Isacco) is that was also perceived as having been an issue for them as well.

No he was referring to they thought people would drive from Richmond and Burnaby to watch a soccer game when the reality is they probably wouldn't drive from Richmond to Langley to attend their mother's funeral 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 10/25/2023 at 1:48 PM, Watchmen said:

Latest AFTN had an interview with Rob Friend. Some quick notes:

- Says they "didn't know what their market was" when they came in and cast to wide of a net. Thinks they have better data now, and will just be concentrating on attracting people from Langley, Abbotsford, Coquitlam, and "half of Surrey".

Which makes the name look even more silly now.

9 hours ago, nolando said:

Screenshot_20231026_205252_Chrome.jpg.81de9d3c95ddd253f7bac1e4e1f452a8.jpg

This was easy to predict. Was thrown quite literally to the side to accomodate Diaz. Good for him for betting on himself.

He's already gainfully employed, of that I'm quite sure.  Well, not 100% sure.  Just suggesting there were probably reasonable offers in his hands even before this announcement.  

Assuming Hundal was one of the higher paid players on the team I think this is a good move. He was a decent player off the bench but I thought over 90 minutes he wasn't very impactful. Bitar and Cantave seemed more effective to me.

I think the teams priority should be a solid veteran at the back and I think Elliot Simmons could be upgraded 

White, Crawford, Tahid & Cameron all have tremendous upside 

36 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Assuming Hundal was one of the higher paid players on the team I think this is a good move. He was a decent player off the bench but I thought over 90 minutes he wasn't very impactful. Bitar and Cantave seemed more effective to me.

Different positions, as I see it, and an unfair comparison. They tried to employ Hundal out wide where he was indeed less effective and where he looked out of place. But he was the out and out striker for the first chunk of the season, to be replaced by Diaz, jersey number and all. 

Personally I think he also suffered from having Sandoval behind him and then never really got to be the first choice man up top under in the system and with the personnel of the second half of the season.

Remember, he was still co-scoring leader at season's end, which certainly tells you something, too.

2 hours ago, nolando said:

Different positions, as I see it, and an unfair comparison. They tried to employ Hundal out wide where he was indeed less effective and where he looked out of place. But he was the out and out striker for the first chunk of the season, to be replaced by Diaz, jersey number and all. 

Personally I think he also suffered from having Sandoval behind him and then never really got to be the first choice man up top under in the system and with the personnel of the second half of the season.

Remember, he was still co-scoring leader at season's end, which certainly tells you something, too.

If he's supposed to be an out and out striker then he should just go and play in the VMSL. When a defender put their body on him he looked completely lost. He was more comfortable running in to space and getting the ball with time. He just wasn't dynamic enough and comfortable in tight space to be an outright striker. I'm not trying to rag on the guy but he came in with a bit of fan fair and he just not that good and basically a finished product 

Went to the season ending party/awards night. The event was well attended and was nice to talk to the players and team staff over the evening. Rob Friend said the club will be seriously going for the league title and wins over the Whitecaps in Can. Championship (as you'd expect him to say). He also said to ask for a roof for the stadium from the mayor, don't think it will happen for next season but its needed for the heat and rain (they were lucky this year with the lack of rain, won't normally be that way).