Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

I know there was lots of talk about the lack of pubs, bars and restaurants around the stadium. After seeing the Barley Merchant sponsored post in the other thread, thought I'd share my experience going there pregame on Sunday.

I don't want to sound like a shill for the place, but it was a nice spot to gather. Its just north of the highway off 200th, so about an 8-10 minute drive. Great selection of BC craft beer. They had OneSoccer showing on the TVs. I spoke with the GM and they have partnered with the club. Hope to get cards to all season ticket holders for 15% off food, but that hasn't been finalized yet.

On a side note, I couldn't believe the amount of construction along 200th. The amount of new people moving into the area can only be a positive thing for the club.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've watched them play each game, and have to say that their black jersey is not just boring, but it's disinteresting.  In the sun (at home) it just looks so plain.  I don't need something extravagant, even their change kit is miles better, they should swap them at least. It may be worth noting the Friend was wearing the red and black for the home opener, not the plain black one. 

Even a black jersey with some colour (yellow, green, anything) to break up the monotony.  I have a strong dislike for them. 

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I've watched them play each game, and have to say that their black jersey is not just boring, but it's disinteresting...

...the Whitecaps play in white and it's all about doing the opposite of what they do and disrupting the MLS market at least in the minds of the SixFive investors anyway. Embrace the dark side etc etc

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 4:42 PM, youllneverwalkalone said:

I feel like they really overthought player recruitment.

Agreed. I never understood why they wouldn't want to look at the best 4-5 at Edmonton for example. Maybe the salary expectations?

I think they're hanging on fine... hope to go see them live for the first time this weekend!

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Agreed. I never understood why they wouldn't want to look at the best 4-5 at Edmonton for example. Maybe the salary expectations?

I think they're hanging on fine... hope to go see them live for the first time this weekend!

Def salaries ...doesn't make sense. Didn't tom fields trial and not get signed.

5 hours ago, nolando said:

And both these teams are competing for recreation/entertainment dollars (and time commitment) overall.  The summer pro sports landscape is competing with different ventures and activities in this region in particular.  If we you go camping this weekend do you really want to come back into town for a midseason game?  How about a day of mountain biking, bike touring, SUP/kayaking/boating/water sports on the beach with the family and after you get back home for supper, do you really want to head off to a game in the evening?  As already mentioned, the commitment of attending a weekend early afternoon game is challenge, and not just for long weekends.

I guess my point is that "casuals" have lots of recreation options available to them now and some of these individuals and families really do weigh the financial and time commitments involved.  That's my two bits on it.  

5 hours ago, nolando said:

Yeah, some of the stuff that was interesting to me:

On the Whitecaps side:

- $60 million budget for all expenses (salary, rent, admin, marketing, etc)

- Forbes estimate on revenue is USD $21m, with a USD $15m operating loss, and value of USD $410. (note: I'm guessing SUM isn't factored in to the revenue, but it wouldn't make up for that operating loss either)

- $7m per year on "youth soccer development" (as part of that $60m budget).  (good lord, they are getting a terrible return on that investment)

On Vancouver FC's side:

- $4.5 million budget for all expenses (salary, rent, admin, marketing, etc)

- VFC pays rent on the stadium and for the food trucks, but does receive some revenue on the food sales

- Will get "a slight majority" of the revenue on the stadium naming rights, once that's done

- Paid "somewhere in the $8m to $10m ballpark" for the for the franchise fee

Edited by Watchmen