Vancouver FC - 2023 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The pitch dimensions are nothing like as bad as year one York Lions but still look quite narrow in a Langford sort of way.

Is Starlight really that narrow? I can't find the dimensions but I've definitely played on narrower.

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Hundal statement was over the top, but it's true, Whitecaps have not done great against CPL teams. And attendance has flagged in recent years. 

But if it lights a fire for Gressel, I'll be happy, I'd love for Whitecaps to excel and for VFC to develop a nice modest alternative.

I think most of the eye rolling from Whitecaps fans was that Hundal said it after 1 win while being eliminated from the Voyageurs Cup a few days earlier. It's not a defense of the Whitecaps so much as it was a comment that seemed really premature.

9 minutes ago, narduch said:

This looks better than the pics I've seen of Halifax 

I was there yesterday it looks great. I also just saw a big residential commercial development was approved directly across the street. The next block also has a big sign saying future entertainment hub blah blah blah. For those worried about pre and post game food and bev options 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 4/26/2023 at 4:42 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Looks like the stadium is ready:

From what I've read elsewhere SixFive wanted to have a roof but the new mayor for Langley Township didn't want to pay for it and dropped it from plans. The pitch dimensions are nothing like as bad as year one York Lions but still look quite narrow in a Langford sort of way.

I've heard that a roof is part of year two plans, and suites are hoped to go in in year three. I dont recall if the person said it was hoped or certain.  

19 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I was there yesterday it looks great. I also just saw a big residential commercial development was approved directly across the street. The next block also has a big sign saying future entertainment hub blah blah blah. For those worried about pre and post game food and bev options 

They already set up food trucks on the other side of the event centre all summer. Plus there are concessions inside the other main buildings. It's not a lot and I think there's no pub options, but it's not barren. 

Parking is probably enough as well.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They already set up food trucks on the other side of the event centre all summer. Plus there are concessions inside the other main buildings. It's not a lot and I think there's no pub options, but it's not barren. 

Parking is probably enough as well.

There's a concession in the small corner building between the East stands and end supporters stands.

S & L Kitchen and Bar is a 5 minute walk down the street, Gov't liquor store right besides it for stocking up for a tailgate.

Hopefully the supporters group sets up a pregame meal and brews at the bar, march to the stadium, and tailgate in the parking lot pregame.

11 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

There's a concession in the small corner building between the East stands and end supporters stands.

S & L Kitchen and Bar is a 5 minute walk down the street, Gov't liquor store right besides it for stocking up for a tailgate.

Hopefully the supporters group sets up a pregame meal and brews at the bar, march to the stadium, and tailgate in the parking lot pregame.

You're a fast walker.

My personal belief is that you eat before or after wherever you want. Depending on game time. But of course in Langley I suspect families are going to spend on food and drink and on site.

In function of how concessions are distributed it could make more sense for the club to monetize them or not. My guess is that they will and that the city won't take a big cut if all.

On 4/29/2023 at 4:28 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

In function of how concessions are distributed it could make more sense for the club to monetize them or not. My guess is that they will and that the city won't take a big cut if all.

The new mayor/council was not happy about having to go through with the stadium construction. It's why it's so bare-bones. I can see it being the opposite: that they'll try to recoup some of the cost with concessions. But, I guess it depends on what agreements were in place  before they took over.

Interesting that Langley United sent an email to coaches on Tuesday offering discounted tickets ($10) and a free coach ticket to bring your team on Sunday.  It was too late notice for my team (U7) but it looks like they're trying to get the club involved - I just wish it was earlier so teams could organize!

Also, I wonder if this is a result of a less than capacity crowd expected. 

On 3/25/2023 at 11:31 PM, nolando said:

I was pretty impressed with the 15-year-old TJ Tahid, who nearly scored late in the second half and who made the most of his minutes. Spoke to him briefly after the match and he has the confidence and composure of a guy a few years older. I think we'll be seeing some special things from him down the road.

Still with the club. 16 y/o as of mid April.

I think we may see him get a full pro contract with Vancouver FC, as opposed to the development deals (for older teens) that the club announced yesterday.

Edited by nolando