TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

8 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Just a friendly reminder Bono is on 557k and the 6th highest paid GK in the league. The NE keeper? 225k. They need a massive upgrade. 

Fans have been calling for Bono to be replaced for years.

They even had their idiot who runs their social media taunting fans over this.

It would be kind of hilarious if they miss the playoffs due to his blunders.

Edited by narduch

8 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well the italian reinforcements are as advertised.  Who the hell can hit a cross body volley from that far out and hit the top corner???  World class...could be up for goal of the year.  Still think its just a little too late.  

Ballsy of Bradley to go with Ayo, maybe that'll shake Jesus out of his funk.  I thought if anyone would take advantage of playing with the italians it would have been him.  

Yeah, and the fans are packing the place. I imagine TV viewership has significantly increased as well. I have been glued to the TV everytime TFC plays since those three arrived on the scene. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Fans have been calling for Bono to be replaced for years.

They even had their idiot who runs their social media taunting fans over this.

It would be kind of hilarious if they miss the playoffs due to his blunders.

BB has to sit Bono next game. Can't afford to drop points. Thing is the back up hasn't looked good either. TFC should have won that game.

A shame that even the extended highlights don't show the PK claim TFC had in the 2nd half when Layrea was tripped, as I would have liked to have seen that again. It seemed a pretty obvious PK sitting in the stands & the entire TFC squad was immediately up in arms about it when the incident happened, while Bernadeschi was giving the linesman (who was closest to the play since Fatso Bouzouki or whatever his name is is always miles behind the play and literally doesn't seem fit enough to Ref in this or any other men's league) lip and sarcastic applause the rest of the match because he didn't flag for the foul.

12 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Ballsy of Bradley to go with Ayo, maybe that'll shake Jesus out of his funk.  I thought if anyone would take advantage of playing with the italians it would have been him.  

I thought Ayo did more with that start than Jiminez has done recently. He at least looked dangerous and made good runs. He also drew the foul for the penalty. That is half a goal in my books.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

BB has to sit Bono next game. Can't afford to drop points....

For whatever reason there is a mentality among a lot of people associated with the sport that you don't need to spend big on a goalkeeper to have a successful team, so they sign someone who does the job OKish most games but is also going to have complete nightmare performances from time to time. Oxner with Halifax in CanPL is another prime example in terms of Canadian soccer right now.

Not something I've ever fully understood but maybe all the analytics they do nowadays tells them they get more bang for their buck elsewhere and there's method in the apparent madness.

NE scored basically on the only two chances they had yesterday, and Portland scored on 50% of their two chances the previous game. Mind you, only one of the three goals I would put down as being Bono's fault (the other goal was a team effort, or a lack thereof by Bradley & Mavinga on the play most especially - not desperate enough defending by the latter who stood and watched to see if Bono would make 3 saves rather than just two), but  still, it's going to squander all their recent in-game dominance if they continues to give up goals on 75% of the few chances they allow.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Not something I've ever fully understood but maybe all the analytics they do nowadays tells them they get more bang for their buck elsewhere and there's method in the apparent madness.

I agree with your general point, but TFC pays a lot for its 2 main keepers compared to the rest of the league.

TFC chose to keep Bono and pay him top keeper money....assumedly because they thought he was alot better than he has turned out to be.  That is on management, they had a middling keeper and were afraid to lose him, when you can bring in run of the mill keeper on the cheap fairly easy.  Still, its hard to hit a homerun on every player you bring in and in a salary cap league you have to prioritize where you spend the money.  TFC has overhauled its FB and wingers all in midseason, so they'll have to live with the keepers and strikers they have.   

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

For whatever reason there is a mentality among a lot of people associated with the sport that you don't need to spend big on a goalkeeper to have a successful team,

To me the problem is results per dollar with Bono.  He is the sixth highest paid keeper in MLS.  He is not the sixth best keeper in MLS.

Bono seems to be a great goalie when he's facing tonnes of shots (as demonstrated by his xG numbers when TFC was leaking more scoring chances than any other team in the league and he was stopping more than he should have - he was hanging in the Top 3 of the league for some time).  But when he gets less action (as has been the case in the last few games) he tends to stumble a bit... he's been in the league long enough that there's no excuse for this 'lack of focus'(?)   Let's hope he plays well enough for the remainder of the year, and then we can move on from him (as he's out of contract after 2022).

As a side note, Advanced Stats wise, the New England goalie we faced last night is far and away the best goalie in the league.

I have to say that I'm really happy with the signing of Criscito so far.  He is so calm and makes playing out of tight spots look effortless.  I really hope some of his class can rub off on the rest of the team, especially the young domestics.  In particular, I think Nelson can learn a lot playing together with Criscito on the left side.