TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

4 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Ummm.....hi, folks.   Vancouver Whitecaps fan here.

Your team just unveiled two new stars and you pumped four goals into your opponent's net before half-time in your last game.

Why are you so concerned with how many fans were there?

Check out the CPL attendance thread...certain people do this crap almost every week there since the CPL started.  You need  strong stomach to handle this.....

11 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Ummm.....hi, folks.   Vancouver Whitecaps fan here.

Your team just unveiled two new stars and you pumped four goals into your opponent's net before half-time in your last game.

Why are you so concerned with how many fans were there?

I'm not concerned. I know how many fans were there and there's nothing to be concerned about. Other posters were claiming that there were tons of empty seats based on what they saw, I previously explained the context for why that was they saw that even though the match was clearly sold out, which that many fans in Toronto arrive late and leave early (for each half) and have calmly provided some evidence of the non-camera-facing side of the field during the middle of the first half for anyone still doubting. This "effort"  took me all of 17 seconds to copy & paste into this forum (and that's only because I took a few seconds to scratch my nose before reaching for the mouse).

I watched a replay of the match today and the comment that Caldwell made which sparked this whole discussion was made 3 minutes into first half stoppage time, which fits in exactly to what I had been saying. Case closed and no big deal.

Irony is I have never questioned that HFX Wanderers have sometimes drawn capacity crowds in a CanPL context and have posted with obvious delight about that and speculated about how it could be emulated elsewhere in similar mid-sized markets that also do well on attendance in a junior hockey context. Compare and contrast with the frankly bizarre series of posts about the capacity crowd at BMO Field on Saturday.

The Vancouver Whitecaps have an issue on attendance right now after recent controversies and years of under-investment while most CanPL teams are struggling to differing extents to reach the level of paid attendance needed to make the league sustainable financially long term. Discussing that frankly and honestly is not an attack on either league but simply a case of dealing with reality as it really is.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:51 AM, narduch said:

Personally I think TFC inflates their numbers slightly in order to paint a rosier picture. Even tonight they announced a 'sell out' despite being almost 1,000 under capacity 

Unlike most teams, for some reason TFC report turnstile count instead of tickets sold/distributed.  So it's entirely possible that the game was sold out and that the reported attendance was ~1000 less than the sell out number.

Somehow saying that you see plenty of empty seats on TV when the announcer says its a sellout isnt "frank and honest", its bizarre  This is exactly what BBTB does all the time, question the announced attendance based on what you can see in the stands.  Its bizarre when one person makes an offhand comment on the TFC thread, but perfectly reasonable when another does it for years on the CPL attendance thread.  

As a Montrealer and CFM fan, let me just say I really enjoyed the show on Saturday.  TFC turning it around is a good thing, its positive for everyone.  

Loving the moves for Henry and Kaye.  Like the move for the Italians or not, they will rip it up.  MLS defenses in general still don't have a reply to that kind of fire power.  Having one DP is one thing, you can isolate and handle him, however having the three Italians lineup together with similar styles and familiarity will be very difficult to contain.

Enjoy it!  

MLS teams were often able to shut down Pozuelo playing through the middle quite effectively because most of the play was being forced through him and he had an all too obvious reluctance to pass to certain teammates. What do they do when they have Insigne and Bernardeschi playing wide in a 4-3-3 on opposite wings? If they overload on one they risk leaving the other with too much space to exploit. Will be interesting to see how that gets handled.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

As a Montrealer and CFM fan, let me just say I really enjoyed the show on Saturday.  TFC turning it around is a good thing, its positive for everyone.  

Loving the moves for Henry and Kaye.  Like the move for the Italians or not, they will rip it up.  MLS defenses in general still don't have a reply to that kind of fire power.  Having one DP is one thing, you can isolate and handle him, however having the three Italians lineup together with similar styles and familiarity will be very difficult to contain.

Enjoy it!  

As a Whitecaps fan, I'm not sure that it's positive for everyone.

Especially as the Whitecaps are going to have to deal with these players tomorrow in the Canadian Championship!

But you're right - Toronto fans should be enjoying this.

Meanwhile, I'm going to keep reminding myself that this is MLS where upsets often occur.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

I fixed your post.

See Canadian Championships, 2009 and 2011

I had forgotten (or not paid much attention to) a lot of the previous Canadian championships.  Looking at Wiki I see the Whitecaps have won the championship once and have been runners-up seven(!) times.

Toronto, meanwhile, has won the championship eight times and have been runners-up four times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Championship

Bear in mind TFC will be playing with pretty short rest on the road with a cross-country flight in between & the three new Italian players will not be used to, nor relish playing on turf. It will be a challenge to play as well as they did in the first half against Charlotte.

5 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Bear in mind TFC will be playing with pretty short rest on the road with a cross-country flight in between & the three new Italian players will not be used to, nor relish playing on turf. It will be a challenge to play as well as they did in the first half against Charlotte.

I certainly hope so!    😄

https://www-fantacalcio-it.translate.goog/calciomercato/28_07_2022/calciomercato-belotti-toronto-428911?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

...Waiting for attractive offers from Europe, Andrea Belotti is also evaluating other solutions.

According to the latest market news coming from Turin, the Toronto track is still open for the Gallo. The American club (sic) has already presented the former captain of Toro with a proposal for a rich contract and is still awaiting a response. In the USA (sic) they don't seem to be in a hurry and are willing to wait for Belotti's decision. 

In case of ok, Belotti in MLS could form an all-Italian trident in attack with Insigne and Bernardeschi. In addition to them, Belotti would also find former Genoa captain Mimmo Criscito in the squad.

Playing an Altidore-less Revolution on Saturday.  While I feel we are becoming a much better team, our performance in Vancouver on Tuesday suggests we still need some time to gel.  I'm not expecting a win tomorrow.

On another note, there are mentions of both Shaffelburg and Akinola as possible players to leave:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/incoming-dps-moves-to-europe-possibilities-for-the-final-week-of-secondary-trans