TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

On 8/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, Gian-Luca said:

For me it depends on who is being talked about. If it is the likes of Tactless Manager then I agree, but Tom Bogert has a pretty decent track record at this stuff (even if nothing comes of these alleged inquiries) and no clear biases or agendas that I'm aware of that would lead me to suspect him that he's making stuff up to drive traffic to a YouTube channel or because he favours a particular team. etc. - the kind of stuff that makes me skeptical of scoops reported by the likes of Tactical Muppet & his ilk.

My reference goes back to Matt Doyle regularly pumping Jay Chapman's tires.  

I suppose my underlining premise is that if the price is right, you can move anybody and at the moment, I'm not sure how much another MLS side would be willing to give up for Akinola.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 7/31/2022 at 4:53 PM, kacbru said:

Akinola scored a bunch in that "pre-season" MLS is back thing, but hasn't done much beyond that, albeit with many injury interruptions.  I don't see much of a role beyond filling out a MLS roster, but would be happy to be wrong.

I think he hasn’t been the same since he had myocarditis…which is sad, because with all the hype, he was going to be the next big striker at Barcelona 😜

Chalk up another notch on the Bogert reliability belt. 😉 Good for Jacob at least to get some playing time, and he has a better shot at playing in the post-season with Nashville. TFC loses a lot of speed that they weren't ever properly utilizing under Bradley.

Weird thing is TFC play Nashville next, although Nashville has a game tomorrow night first.

17 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Good for Jacob at least to get some playing time, and he has a better shot at playing in the post-season with Nashville. TFC loses a lot of speed that they weren't ever properly utilizing under Bradley.

Also a loan for which TFC receive $225 000.  That's a lot better than their old practice of just sort of dropping prospects for whom they didn't have space.

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

They got 250k for a what works out to a 10 game loan, and the club is giving him a chance to play somewhere else when he couldn’t crack the 11 here.

I agree with them to an extent though, playing guys out of position is now giving them a chance to succeed.

I am all for criticizing TFC for mismanaging their talent, but they are doing the right thing by moving him onto another team that's outperforming TFC right now, and getting assets in the process. As a Canada fan I am thrilled, and as a Toronto fan I am relieved, because now Shaffelburg is not stuck on the bench or with the reserves. That is something to celebrate, isn't it? His departure opens up a spot for someone else in the (admittedly poorly managed) pipeline, and that's a good thing.

I really like his direct play down the left side.  He'll take on an opponent and try to make something happen in the final third.  Sometimes it doesn't come off but I would rather see that than a right sided player on that side who simply recycles the ball back even when facing only one marker.  It pads Opta stats and maintains possession but it also allows the defence to spend more time concentrating on other guys because they don't see that player as a consistent threat.  Frankly, I wouldn't minded see him in Vancouver.

I hope he gets a good shot in Nashville and makes the most of it.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I am all for criticizing TFC for mismanaging their talent

I am too but, if we look at this year, we're getting a bit into the weeds to find criticisms.  It isn't like the past where they just left young Canadians on the bench.  There have been huge minutes for a lot of guys.  Yes, some have been out of position (hence my weeds comment) but most have been fine.

The result was a team at the bottom of the league.  So I certainly hope TFC continues to send large minutes to young Canadians but I also recognize there's going to be some balance.  Developing Canadian talent is not the principal purpose of the team even if it is a purpose.

1 hour ago, RS said:

The age-old fallacy of admonishing Toronto's academy production while simultaneously lauding Vancouver's and Montreal's continues. Even though none are even close to the level they should be.

We'll see what happens with Next Pro, it's a bit early just half a year into a new attempt at competitive academies. 

If the MLS teams with the better Next Pro sides don't move anyone from there into their first teams, then the model is wrong. Once again.

I am not saying this year, I am saying going forward.

Could be because in spite of setting it up, they really don't believe in it.

Or because they have not gotten a sufficiently competitive league going to make calling someone up worth it.

Which is pretty damning because NextPro aren't u-19s, they are into their 20s many of them. A reserve league of 20-somethings that is not good or reliable enough to ensure players are ready for the corresponding 1st teams? 

3 minutes ago, mtroads said:

Wonder what this means for JMR or Thompson. Is the team giving up on them as quickly as it has with pretty much every other academy grad?

Those players are still both in their teens so I don't think there's any indication they are "giving up" on them - for making a playoff push for the rest of the year though (while also ensuring playing time for Laryea in the lead up to the World Cup), this instantly improves the team.

I think most of us want to see JMR further up the field anyway.

49 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Wonder what Will Forbes did to incur such scorn. TFC's subreddit also berates him as a rumour level source along bizarrely enough with Manuel Veth who always seems to know what he is talking about in a CanPL context.

Will Forbes is a known liar who has been caught fabricating transfer rumours.