TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

3 hours ago, Ivan said:

That was a tough one.  But yeah, the defence and goalkeeping were horrible as they've been all season.  I couldn't understand taking Nelson off at half after he was arguably their best player in the first half.  Kaye and Henry were obviously rusty and looked poor.  Okello did nothing of consequence while the Italians drifted in and out of the game.  Akinola and Jimenez (did he even touch the ball after he came on?) were irrelevant.  I agree with @An Observer that they really miss Osorio.  Been their best player all year and a real leader.

Kudos to Montreal though.  They looked real good, and their Canadians look great. Listen to the Miller and Johnston TSN interviews after the game.  A real team.

and bradley put him under the bus again last night,yes nelson was slow to react on that corner but that was 40 yards from the net,alot more had to happen for that goal to happen,i dont know what to say about bono,his keeping the last 2mths should become a vid for how not to play in net

6 hours ago, An Observer said:

Also, Bono has cost them a bunch of points in the last 4 or 5 matches.  They will need to upgrade the keeper position in the off season as well as the CBs.  And get a decent striker.  The rest is probably fine but they could use another winger to spell the Italians occasionally or for injury cover.

Hmm. Does the name Shaffelburg ring a bell for anybody? True, he is better off getting more minutes elsewhere in the league, but TFC often does not see the forest for the trees.

TFC is not the same without Oso, plain and simple. I wonder if he had COVID and is suffering from the post-COVID brain fog? I had that for two weeks. Super mild symptoms during COVID, but the brain fog (for lack of a better medical term) certainly made me feel "not myself."  But it burned off in two weeks.  Hoping Oso is back for at least a handful of games before TFC's season closes.

2 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

TFC is not the same without Oso, plain and simple. I wonder if he had COVID and is suffering from the post-COVID brain fog? I had that for two weeks. Super mild symptoms during COVID, but the brain fog (for lack of a better medical term) certainly made me feel "not myself."  But it burned off in two weeks.  Hoping Oso is back for at least a handful of games before TFC's season closes.

I wonder this too but the club claims it's not covid

5 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

manning must be exc of the year,sellouts the last 7 games with a bottom of the league team,give this guy a raise,oh he gave himself one already

I hope season ticket holder are prepared for another 40% increase this off season.

The Italians won't pay for themselves.

Trust the process I guess.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

I will never understand why they even bothered to picked up Westberg's option last December.

And what is the point of Ranjitsingh?

Ranjitsingh....cheap cover???  They picked up westberg because they didnt trust Bono..same as the rest of us.  The defense is still leaving the keepers in tough spots but TFC could sure use an upgrade.  

3 hours ago, jordan said:

What does it tell?

That Manning has performed poorly during his term at TFC. Curtis, Armas and most player signings have not worked out during his time and BB hasn't done anything yet this season to prove otherwise. It's easy to splash cash on DPs ( let's not mention Salcedo) with  MLSE  but you need quality support players behind those DPs. That's what good GMs do and Montreal has excelled in that regard this season and so have other MLS teams if you compare team salaries. Many  on this board have been calling for an upgrade re defenders for several seasons now, yet Montreal signs both Miller and Johnston. Even one of those players would have been a significant upgrade to what TFC currently have. 

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

That Manning has performed poorly during his term at TFC. Curtis, Armas and most player signings have not worked out during his time and BB hasn't done anything yet this season to prove otherwise. It's easy to splash cash on DPs ( let's not mention Salcedo) with  MLSE  but you need quality support players behind those DPs. That's what good GMs do and Montreal has excelled in that regard this season and so have other MLS teams if you compare team salaries. Many  on this board have been calling for an upgrade re defenders for several seasons now, yet Montreal signs both Miller and Johnston. Even one of those players would have been a significant upgrade to what TFC currently have. 

Johnston would have upgraded Laryea how?

Miller traded during expansion draft. TFC tried shoring up the D they spent on a US and Belgian international and it didn’t work. No one would have predicted Millers rise at the time. Always easy to look at things after moves are done.

15 minutes ago, jordan said:

Miller traded during expansion draft. TFC tried shoring up the D they spent on a US and Belgian international and it didn’t work. No one would have predicted Millers rise at the time. Always easy to look at things after moves are done.

If we are going all the way back to Ciman/Gonzalaez, better include dutch (Vanderwaste) and Jamaican (Lawerence), Mexican (Salcedo) as big defender signings that fizzled.  TFC has had a very hard time finding defensive help.  Even Lareya is more of an offensive success story. If Johnston was at RB, Lareya could have been an out and out winger and that would have plugged that hole without using a DP.  

Not sure why they have so much better luck with offensive players.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If we are going all the way back to Ciman/Gonzalaez, better include dutch (Vanderwaste) and Jamaican (Lawerence), Mexican (Salcedo) as big defender signings that fizzled.  TFC has had a very hard time finding defensive help.  Even Lareya is more of an offensive success story. If Johnston was at RB, Lareya could have been an out and out winger and that would have plugged that hole without using a DP.  

I’m just going back to the time frames of when we “missed” out, and by that logic Johnston should have went top 3 in the draft.

9 minutes ago, jordan said:

I’m just going back to the time frames of when we “missed” out, and by that logic Johnston should have went top 3 in the draft.

Well just go back to the last few off seasons, thats when Johnston and Miller came to Montreal.  Both garber buck trades. 

52 minutes ago, jordan said:

As @Bison44mentioned Laryea could have played as a mid/wide mid, where he has played for TFC and Canada previously... or TFC could have used a back 3 with Johnston at RCB. Re Miller, the CMNT coaching staff were very high on him going back to 2019 to quote Jason De Vos. His potential was clearly known a few years ago and certainly before he moved to Montreal. Do you truly believe Manning has done a good job?  because the big picture, and the results are not pretty. How did all the signings last season work out btw? I'm a Toronto res and follow TFC so I'm not here to knock them but this team is not performing given its payroll. 

16 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I agree with the rest of your choices, but I thought that Lawrence was a good signing for TFC.  He was a solid performer, and kept the drama to a minimum.  He just didn't want to come back to a team in the rebuilding phase, so moved on.  Criscito is in his place now, so they aren't doing too badly at signing left backs. 

21 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

I look at Montreal's second goal the same way I look at Larin's goal against the USA at home: a good shot forcing a save that a quality keeper normally makes.  However, that one was not as bad as some in the previous games.

As I said earlier, TFC should have kept Frei.

I was at the game on Sunday.  Bono wasn't as bad as in some previous games but the problem is that he also isn't good.  TFC was way ahead, the crowd was pumped, things were going well and then Montreal scored.  Okay, not so great but still okay.  Then Bono failed to stop the second goal a couple of minutes later and that really killed things.  We need a keeper who can come up with big saves some of the time.  Really, that could have easily been a 3-2 TFC win if Bono stopped the two stoppable goals.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, Kingston said:

I was at the game on Sunday.  Bono wasn't as bad as in some previous games but the problem is that he also isn't good.  TFC was way ahead, the crowd was pumped, things were going well and then Montreal scored.  Okay, not so great but still okay.  Then Bono failed to stop the second goal a couple of minutes later and that really killed things.  We need a keeper who can come up with big saves some of the time.  Really, that could have easily been a 3-2 TFC win if Bono stopped the two stoppable goals.

I think the sin here is that Bono hasn't improved from the time he took over the starting role in 2017 as a relatively young keeper.  Depending on who you ask, he has either stagnated or regressed since then.  That may be Bono, or it can speak to the horrible job the club has done with their keepers.

How many keepers actually improved during their stay in Toronto?  There's Frei, but I remember him playing well from the moment he got drafted.  Did he really improve in Toronto before running off to Seattle?