TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

My seats tonight were at an angle that I didn't realize what a poor play Bono made on that first LA goal - just not good enough for him to cost the team at least one bad goal almost every game in a run to try an make the playoffs. Granted, it was a stupid foul by Mavinga in the first place and came after he cheaply gave the ball away after he couldn't make a 10 yard pass to Criscito with no pressure on him, but Bono still has to save that.

They actually moved a point closer to a playoff spot after tonight because Miami lost, but really only 7th place is possibly in reach, and Cincinnati will likely pull ahead of Miami by Saturday when they play the weak-on-the-road Charlotte.

This is a pretty wretched time for Kaye, Osorio & Kerr now all to be injured, with Okello looking a bit rusty (understandably) with his first minutes in something like 5 months. Its actually somewhat incredible they have picked up 4 points with a Bradley (who looked his age tonight) + two teenagers midfield trio in the past two games.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

My seats tonight were at an angle that I didn't realize what a poor play Bono made on that first LA goal - just not good enough for him to cost the team at least one bad goal almost every game in a run to try an make the playoffs. Granted, it was a stupid foul by Mavinga in the first place and came after he cheaply gave the ball away after he couldn't make a 10 yard pass to Criscito with no pressure on him, but Bono still has to save that.

I watched the game on TV and Caldwell called him it out on it almost immediately.  Me, I blame Mavinga because Bono is not good enough to make that save. 😞 

I think it's safe to say Toronto will be moving on from Bono over the winter, which sucks because he seems like a good guy.

13 hours ago, Big_M said:

toronto would have to win all five remaining games...not happening...just sit back relax enjoy the rest of the season and the rebuild for 23

Tfc does not need to win out.  Many of the teams in the battle play each other.  A couple draws and it opens everything up.  Also they would need to win every game if the teams around them only lose 1 game and those teams are nowhere near that good.  I think they will make it if they beat Montreal.

look at the playoff line of previous years...like it or not it will be around 48 points...lets say 46 to give them a better chance...they are at 34 now so would need four wins in the remaining five...can they win 1-2 at home when theyve drawn the last two and win 2-3 away when they have two away wins all season for a combined four wins out of the last five games?

puig goal: jimenez has him at the beginning but doesnt follow him when he passes and runs which is basic stuff in soccer, then when he does the pass its actually okello who gives it back to him...at that point its hard to blame bradley or the cb for not stepping up as the damage is done when a player of that quality has it there

6 hours ago, Metro said:

I watched the game on TV and Caldwell called him it out on it almost immediately.  Me, I blame Mavinga because Bono is not good enough to make that save. 😞 

I think it's safe to say Toronto will be moving on from Bono over the winter, which sucks because he seems like a good guy.

I wasn't sitting in my usual seats yesterday so from my angle, which was much closer to the north end goal than I normally am, I couldn't see how central the ball landed in the net on the free kick - I thought it was right in the corner. Upon the tv replay I could see that it was actually central and very saveable. I also hadn't noticed how poorly Bono moved his feet (or didn't move them) so that he didn't get a proper jump. It was a nice free kick, but something that you'd expect a keeper to make. I suppose there is an argument that he didn't cost them two points because they still came back and took the lead & once again couldn't hold it late at home (and the 2nd goal obviously wasn't his fault), but even so, it's just too many soft goals given up in a stretch run when the other keeper is injured and your team is relying upon you to make saves on saveable shots. He's 28, so I think your prognosis for him to stay with the team is correct, as it seems unlikely he will significantly improve (to the extent needed to be a #1 for an ambitious, big-spending club) given his age and all the playing time he's had.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you invest in a couple of Lamborghinis up front, you don't want it all undone by having a Trabant as goalie. Never understood why MLS teams don't throw more money at this position.

MLS have always thrown money on goal scorers or attacking players while neglecting defenders and keepers. Perhaps they are still trying to sell the game to "fans". It's why players that sign from the top leagues score for fun. Bernardeschi & Gio for TFC, Ibra etc etc.  It's one of the reasons the league struggles for recognition with the top leagues. Plus take away the DPs and MLS would look very different in terms of quality. 

Seems to follow up a good game with a not so good game. Costa scores the free kick and everyone forgets the save from the previous week. 

Which player will fans obsess over when he leaves?

Will leave with a MLS cup, Supporters Shield, 4 Voyageurs cups.

30 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

MLS have always thrown money on goal scorers or attacking players while neglecting defenders and keepers. 

I am under the impression that higher pedigree/high priced defenders signed from elsewhere haven't done well in this league.  Could be way off base with that assessment.

7 minutes ago, jordan said:

Seems to follow up a good game with a not so good game. Costa scores the free kick and everyone forgets the save from the previous week. 

They will blame the young Canadians 

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If you invest in a couple of Lamborghinis up front, you don't want it all undone by having a Trabant as goalie. Never understood why MLS teams don't throw more money at this position.

Crepeau was very good with Vancouver, but when he left, he was replaced with an average journeyman in Cropper, and a sophomore in Hasal. Hasal is a very good young keeper, but he he has no mentor to show him how to improve, and he is too inexperienced to be consistently good. Bono is just not good enough. Pantemis and Breza are like Hasal, albeit more experienced, but like Hasal, have no goalkeeping mentor in the club to teach and show them how to be better. You are right, Ozzie, that goalkeeping needs to be supported more.

1 hour ago, jordan said:

Bono has never been a top notch keeper.  Middle of the MLS pack, like you said, make some good saves but then have some really bad games.   Keeping has not been the strong point in TFC's success in the last 7-8 years.  We have had top notch strikers, midfielders, FB and even a couple really good CB's, but we have never been able to say, we have one of the top 5 keepers in MLS with Bono.  And obsessing over your keeper is something fans tend to do, look at us and our obession with CMNT back passes and keeper clearances.  

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Crepeau was very good with Vancouver, but when he left, he was replaced with an average journeyman in Cropper, and a sophomore in Hasal. Hasal is a very good young keeper, but he he has no mentor to show him how to improve, and he is too inexperienced to be consistently good. Bono is just not good enough. Pantemis and Breza are like Hasal, albeit more experienced, but like Hasal, have no goalkeeping mentor in the club to teach and show them how to be better. You are right, Ozzie, that goalkeeping needs to be supported more.

Hasal has lost a lot of time with injury layoffs and that should be noted, and the keeper coach in Vancouver is the same guy who brought the best out of Crepeau with Ottawa and then the Caps and by several accounts is top notch.  No crystal ball but I like to believe that Hasal would have been more on a rising road of development, with a few inevitable down moments every young keeper experiences (for tomorrow's match in SJ, he will be starting).

Pantemis can make the hard saves and look spectacular in the process but make a hash of the routine and undermine the confidence of the team.  That's Bono, too, btw.  Always thought Westberg was overrated.

Honestly, since Osorio went down, they haven’t looked the same team.  It’s possible the others are just exhausted due to the fixture congestion and perhaps other sides have figured out the Italians to a certain extent.  Before Osorio went down, they were pinging the ball around and playing some really nice football.

Also, Bono has cost them a bunch of points in the last 4 or 5 matches.  They will need to upgrade the keeper position in the off season as well as the CBs.  And get a decent striker.  The rest is probably fine but they could use another winger to spell the Italians occasionally or for injury cover.

That was a tough one.  But yeah, the defence and goalkeeping were horrible as they've been all season.  I couldn't understand taking Nelson off at half after he was arguably their best player in the first half.  Kaye and Henry were obviously rusty and looked poor.  Okello did nothing of consequence while the Italians drifted in and out of the game.  Akinola and Jimenez (did he even touch the ball after he came on?) were irrelevant.  I agree with @An Observer that they really miss Osorio.  Been their best player all year and a real leader.

Kudos to Montreal though.  They looked real good, and their Canadians look great. Listen to the Miller and Johnston TSN interviews after the game.  A real team.

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

That was a tough one.  But yeah, the defence and goalkeeping were horrible as they've been all season.  I couldn't understand taking Nelson off at half after he was arguably their best player in the first half.  Kaye and Henry were obviously rusty and looked poor.  Okello did nothing of consequence while the Italians drifted in and out of the game.  Akinola and Jimenez (did he even touch the ball after he came on?) were irrelevant.  I agree with @An Observer that they really miss Osorio.  Been their best player all year and a real leader.

Kudos to Montreal though.  They looked real good, and their Canadians look great. Listen to the Miller and Johnston TSN interviews after the game.  A real team.

The very fact that Miller & Johnston, both defenders from the GTA ended up with Montreal tells you all you need to know about TFC management.