TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

That first goal was brutal.  I actually feel bad for him.  Oof. 

Basically, he has cost them 3 points in the last two matches as they should have won the NE match and tied this one.  It probably has killed off their playoff chances which is too bad as they look quite good.

that being said, I know they are up against it to get in the playoffs but Bradley needs to at least use some subs if not rotate a bit.  He is going to kill their chances off by just running them into the ground.  Maybe start a Kerr or JMR or even a Petrasso (not all 3 but 1 or 2) to give some of the guys some rest and then bring the others on as impact subs.  His minutes management over the last few matches killed them in this game as they had nothing left in the second half.  The first half they were the much better side even if down 2-1.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know if this is just in my head, but it feels like the Italians only like to pass to each other, I noticed a couple times where Bernardeschi had other players in dangerous positions, but he decided to pass to Criscito and/or Insigne.

This tends to happen on certain teams where there is an imbalance in talent and when  down a goal or two. As the high talent players get frustrated they only look for certain players to pass to. Not saying its acceptable but it does happen.  Both Insigne (other than his amazing goal) and Bernardeschi were poor but it was probably fatigue.

37 minutes ago, SoCalTransport said:

I don’t know if this is just in my head, but it feels like the Italians only like to pass to each other, I noticed a couple times where Bernardeschi had other players in dangerous positions, but he decided to pass to Criscito and/or Insigne.

I’ve been feeling this way too, very evident in the final 30. I felt in previous games Jimenez ran into good positions and was largely ignored. 

17 minutes ago, jordan said:

I’ve been feeling this way too, very evident in the final 30. I felt in previous games Jimenez ran into good positions and was largely ignored. 

The other thing I feel I am seeing from Insigne and Bernardeschi (not Criscito) is a lack of respect for the opposition. To my eye it seems as though they feel they will just walk through, slip a pass through, have the foul called for the least bit of contact, etc. The sharpness from urgency and intensity and knowing you have to work to beat your defender is missing. Insigne had at least half a dozen simple passes cut out yesterday by defenders and the book is already out on Bernardeschi that he will run at defenders and get caught trying to cut left for the hero strike. That coupled with the fact that everyone else except Oso and Laryea defer to the Italians rather than taking in a shot or choosing another option if it’s better is not a good recipe. That said, Nelson does seem to be improving and you can see Insigne giving him lots of pointers. 

13 hours ago, SoCalTransport said:

I've been finding it depends on the player, there are definitely some guys they are avoiding passing to. 

*cough cough* kerr *cough cough*

Ngl, I do the same thing when i play, if there's a guy I know isn't going to do anything positive with the ball I'm passing somewhere else.

4 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I've been finding it depends on the player, there are definitely some guys they are avoiding passing to. 

*cough cough* kerr *cough cough*

Ngl, I do the same thing when i play, if there's a guy I know isn't going to do anything positive with the ball I'm passing somewhere else.

The other thing I noticed was that when both Kerr and Achara came on at the 60 min mark, they ran around like crazy for the first 10 minutes and then in the last 20, they seemed to be as gassed as everyone else

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

The other thing I noticed was that when both Kerr and Achara came on at the 60 min mark, they ran around like crazy for the first 10 minutes and then in the last 20, they seemed to be as gassed as everyone else

I thought it was strategy to take it easy for 5 minutes and then push for the last 15-20 minutes. The whole team was hardly running.

46 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I thought it was strategy to take it easy for 5 minutes and then push for the last 15-20 minutes. The whole team was hardly running.

Even Phil Neville admitted that his team had a huge advantage over TFC because of how tired they were. However, Bono has had so little to do the last three matches that is glaring mistakes can't really be excused by physical fatigue. Not sure if his contract is up at the end of this year, but unless he stands on his head and wins TFC games they deserve to lose (rather than the reverse which has happened this past week), I have a feeling that will be it for him. Mental lapses directly causing goals in back to back games are the sort of thing that convinces coaches & GM's that you aren't a guy who can be relied upon to take the team to the next level. It's not just the losing of points because of him, but who he has lost them points against at the most critical time. With competent keeping this week they would likely only be 1 point out of the playoffs with 7 games left. Instead it is 5 points with some times having a game in hand on them.

A couple of tidbits  from post training interview with Bob Bradley. 

- A reporter actually asked a question about Bono.  Mr. Bradley said that Westburg is still injured, and that Bono has to be ready to face the next one.  It sounds like the coach is not too happy.  

- MAK might play on the weekend, Shane Oneil and Noble Okello are training, getting fit. Jesus Jimenez had a slight leg injury and  was given a couple days off

TFC now 3 points out of the playoffs, behind Columbus and Miami who are level with 36 in 6th and 7th places. They each have a game in hand on Toronto but it looks like that game in hand is to be played on Sept 13th against each other. And that is actually one of two games those teams have against each other. 

Of course there is also Cincinnati and NE 2 and 1 pt ahead of them with a game in hand, while Atlanta could also pull ahead if they win their game in hand, the schedule makers not doing TFC any favours in that regard. They just have to keep winning 

Edited by Gian-Luca

14 hours ago, narduch said:

Belotti to Roma is now official.

Just closing that chapter

Belotti didn’t make sense at this time, I think if they qualified for CCL, that deal would have got done. They do need a striker bad, Akinola doesn’t look in shape, and Jimenez is ice cold…maybe Larin on a smaller DP contract would be a good fit.