TFC - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Altidore in a long Athletic profile had some cryptic things to say about TFC's handling of young players. But it is stuff that has been alluded by many on here.

Altidore now says that his remarks to Armas stemmed from “certain individuals who were treating young players in the wrong way.” 

“I’m not going to watch those things, especially when these kids try and give their everything,” he adds. “They come with the right attitude. They may not always do the right thing. They may not always make the right pass or tackle, but the intention, the right intent is there. And so I just recognized that.

“I had to say something. At the end of the day I don’t regret it,” he says. “We did so many special things together, but there comes a point in this game and in anything in life, when you’re young you kind of have to just eat it. But sometimes when you see something that’s not right for the young players and it’s not fair, you’re at that point when you have to do it. And if you don’t do it, what example do you set for them? I understand that you have to pay your dues, but wrong is wrong.” 

His views on ligaMX vs MLS.

..I almost can’t believe that there’s a league this passionate, this heavily followed with very good players from very good national teams so close to the U.S. Usually I thought that you had to go to Europe to find this type of quality...

“There are no days off here,” he says. “One thing that I can say clearly, at least what I’ve seen at Puebla, your every day training environment and concentration and professionalism is way different in Liga MX than it is in MLS. In terms of every guy on the roster coming ready to train, what it means to be a professional player in Liga MX, what it means to the public. Just your lifestyle as a professional footballer as opposed to in the MLS, where it’s still a bit of an unknown, so you get away with a lot more.”

Where MLS does have an edge over Liga MX is in the increased financial investment from some owners, and the number of high-end training facilities that MLS players enjoy. 

..."This type of training is closer to what you get in Europe and even what we had in Toronto all those years. It’s closer to that. Extremely tense every day, very demanding, but you grow in those aspects. You get sharper. You get better. In MLS it’s a bit more physically demanding than Liga MX, but I think in Liga MX, you stand out right away when you don’t have the right technique when the ball comes to your feet.” 

https://theathletic.com/3612450/2022/09/21/jozy-altidore-puebla-world-cup-interview/

Edited by red card

No to Giovinco if it means spending big bucks on another old er player who will decline in skill and endurance. TFC needs to otherwise focus that money on development, a goalkeeper, and improvements in defence. Montreal has done spent smartly and look at their success.  I am a VWFC fan, but I want TFC to do well in the league, and I am pleased that Montreal is looking so good especially going with quite a few Canadians.

50 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

No to Giovinco if it means spending big bucks on another old er player who will decline in skill and endurance. TFC needs to otherwise focus that money on development, a goalkeeper, and improvements in defence. Montreal has done spent smartly and look at their success.  I am a VWFC fan, but I want TFC to do well in the league, and I am pleased that Montreal is looking so good especially going with quite a few Canadians.

I don’t know, even the aging Giovinco would have probably faired better than Jimenez and Akinola did this season.

20 hours ago, jordan said:

Hard to get amped this year, watching games is like a chore

yup.  There is a game in 2.5 hours and I am here procrastinating on the couch (and typing in this forum) trying to work up the enthusiasm to head down there.   But, I paid for the season and hate to see it go to waste.   This is perhaps the biggest difference between  (for example) CFM and TFC.   TFC has a big season ticket base, so people have already committed (before the season started) to go to games like this.      In Montreal, they dont have anywhere near the same Season ticket base, so if its raining or cold as hell, there won't be the walk-up crowds that you need to make up for it.  And you have to work harder, and devote more resources, to market and sell game day tickets.  

As a fan of the Expos, the current plight of CFM reminds me a lot of the Expos.   Poor season ticket base.  And that meant lousy weekday crowds at Expos games.   Cold weather?  The Habs in the playoff?  The Jazz festival?  The fireworks show?  All these excuses would not exist if the Expos had a good Season ticket base with corporate support.

This is why selling season tickets (not the game day crowds) is so important to the success of clubs. And also why the financial success of clubs is highly dependent on local economic factors

PS.:  It also helps to explain this recent report:

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-team-value-ranking-1234689586/

TFC is still the fifth most valuable club in MLS at $705 Mill.  While CFM is last on the list.

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

yup.  There is a game in 2.5 hours and I am here procrastinating on the couch (and typing in this forum) trying to work up the enthusiasm to head down there.   But, I paid for the season and hate to see it go to waste.   This is perhaps the biggest difference between  (for example) CFM and TFC.   TFC has a big season ticket base, so people have already committed (before the season started) to go to games like this.      In Montreal, they dont have anywhere near the same Season ticket base, so if its raining or cold as hell, there won't be the walk-up crowds that you need to make up for it.  And you have to work harder, and devote more resources, to market and sell game day tickets.  

As a fan of the Expos, the current plight of CFM reminds me a lot of the Expos.   Poor season ticket base.  And that meant lousy weekday crowds at Expos games.   Cold weather?  The Habs in the playoff?  The Jazz festival?  The fireworks show?  All these excuses would not exist if the Expos had a good Season ticket base with corporate support.

This is why selling season tickets (not the game day crowds) is so important to the success of clubs. And also why the financial success of clubs is highly dependent on local economic factors

PS.:  It also helps to explain this recent report:

https://www.sportico.com/feature/mls-soccer-team-value-ranking-1234689586/

TFC is still the fifth most valuable club in MLS at $705 Mill.  While CFM is last on the list.

Atleast tomorrow night at 930 it wont feel like what did I just sit through again. 

11 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

But if you don't watch, you don't get to see $15 million walk petulantly down the tunnel because they were subbed at 70 minutes after another underwhelming performance.

That has to be concerning for TFC, he hasn't looked good but I think most fans are ready to give him a fresh start after a proper off season, petulance like that can be something you can't fix and can lead to bigger issues for management, maybe I'm reading too much into it?

3 minutes ago, gator said:

That has to be concerning for TFC, he hasn't looked good but I think most fans are ready to give him a fresh start after a proper off season, petulance like that can be something you can't fix and can lead to bigger issues for management, maybe I'm reading too much into it?

The issue with bringing in high priced talent like that is you can rarely substitute them without running this risk.

It will be interesting to see the fallout this week.

This could be an interesting off season with the Italian experiment not going too well so far and some possible discipline issues that the manager and his son will have to deal with, add to that Josie's comments about the youth and there could be some turmoil!

Edit: 

Edited by gator

1 hour ago, gator said:

This could be an interesting off season with the Italian experiment not going too well so far and some possible discipline issues that the manager and his son will have to deal with, add to that Josie's comments about the youth and there could be some turmoil!

Edit: 

I would be willing to wait to see what they do next year with a third DP.

I find insigne is having a tough time with the physicality of MLS. 

Giovinco was like the soccer equivalent to Theo Fleury, you knock him down, and he makes it his personal business to punish you on the scoresheet. That’s why he was more successful in this league so far.

Hopefully Insigne can adapt to the league.

Edited by SoCalTransport

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

There chants of “Bradley’s Got to Go” in the west stands after Miami scored, But it was difficult for me to tell which Bradley they were referring to given that they were both at fault on the goal

I said this at the beginning of the season:  it was always going to be an awkward dynamic with Bradley the Elder managing his club captain-on-the-decline son.

Based on how the team has performed in this final stretch, Bob is keeping his job based exclusively on his reputation.  Anyone of even a little lesser experience would be sacked by now.  There is little fight, no cohesion, and a myriad of underachieving to downright bad performances from various players:  in other words, it's the new Man U of MLS.  Quick!  Sign Harry Maguire as the new DP for 2023!  He'll fit right in!

Edited by BearcatSA

7 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I thought it was a sloppy game that was hard to watch, from both teams.  Not enough TFC guys in form nor in sync.  Did like the big Zambian defender for Miaimi, however.  

That guy was impressive.  I had to look him up at the game to see who it was.  Never heard of him before, but yes, quite impressive.

9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

There chants of “Bradley’s Got to Go” in the west stands after Miami scored, But it was difficult for me to tell which Bradley they were referring to given that they were both at fault on the goal

There were boos when Junior touched the ball in the last few minutes.