WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

36 minutes ago, Cblake said:

With some of the MLB LDS having ended, it is great to see the game will now be on Sportsnet 1. This is much better than when it appeared that it would be streamed through SN Now. It is big boost for the exposure of the team and game.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/pressure-rising-canada-prepares-crucial-match-vs-panama-sn1/

deleted

Edited by Metro

35 minutes ago, rkomar said:

Hoilett wasn't vaccinated.  I don't know about Wotherspoon.

If he was not vaccinated he would not even have been able to play vs Panama. He would have been stuck somewhere for quarantine. I am not even sure if he could enter BMO Field. Just get the dam shot. 

Anyone up for another silver lining? We've got the exact same team for this match as we had against Mexico. Yes, David, Davies, and perhaps Johnston and Osorio may have tired legs (all young fellers though) but everyone else is pretty well rested. Factor in the monstrous crowd and the energy they will infuse and I'm beginning to consider that Panama may be in for a beat down...or at the very least will be on the backfoot from the get go.

It simply amazing to be I able to say the south end will be pretty full even with all the change ups along the way. We have seen capacity go from 15,000 to 21,000 and finally full at 28K. Even after the last 1,000 tickets in the south end were put up for sale on Saturday, there was still interest with over 300 tickets going out the door since the increase. As of right now only 688 remain. All things considered this is great and we have to commend the Vs leadership for being on the ball with all the changes and dealing with some of the issues that popped up along the way. Lets see by kickoff how many last minute stranglers decide this is where the want to be on a Wednesday night, hanging out with us cool kids. I will point out, even the venerable Toronto Maple Leafs who will be opening up there season at the same time just down the road vs. Montreal has a number of unsold tickets, which is normally unheard of. Guess that is truly a sign of the times are currently living in. Can not wait until later today, it can not come soon enough. Cheers people. 

Anyone expecting Panama to rotate should take a look at their first five games. They don’t rotate starters. The lineup is the lineup and they manage tiredness with second half subs. I expect to see Rodriguez in for Gondola on the left wing if he’s healthy, and that’s about it barring injury. Maybe Martinez swaps out for someone in central midfield, but he seems to have a good game against the US, so maybe not.

Edited by footballfreak

I  remain  positive, but I am suspiciouus of who will suddenly appear or disappear.in the line-up for us.  I do not not want to  start any false news, but how many backroom  deals have resulted in available players not being available, players sent back to their clubs early , players being described as "too tired" or having some unspecified "knocks", etc? Hopefully, we can move beyond this as best we can. I realize that, in this day  and age, total  transparency is not always possible.  Perhaps I am too suspicious.

I am still  proud of all the players, and their enthusiasm to appear and do 100%, regardless of the difficult situations they may be placed in. Let's do it giuys, whoever ends up on the field!

6 hours ago, rkomar said:

Hoilett wasn't vaccinated.  I don't know about Wotherspoon.

I believe that was all (unnecessary) speculation.  I thought we landed on the fact here that a prem team had much more infrastructure to facilitate an effective quarantine as opposed to a team like Reading.

1 hour ago, beachesl said:

I  remain  positive, but I am suspiciouus of who will suddenly appear or disappear.in the line-up for us.  I do not not want to  start any false news, but how many backroom  deals have resulted in available players not being available, players sent back to their clubs early , players being described as "too tired" or having some unspecified "knocks", etc? Hopefully, we can move beyond this as best we can. I realize that, in this day  and age, total  transparency is not always possible.  Perhaps I am too suspicious.

I am still  proud of all the players, and their enthusiasm to appear and do 100%, regardless of the difficult situations they may be placed in. Let's do it giuys, whoever ends up on the field!

The media was at the practice yesterday. So it sounds like all players were there except Holliett of course. 

I think most of us were disappointed that we didn’t get the 3 points Sunday, especially after seeing Panama win.  But we’ve gotten points in both games, one in particular where we were missing 6-7 guys who could easily rotate into our starting line up even if everyone was available.  Getting some reinforcements back tonight, especially with speed on the wings makes me feel a lot better going into this game. Big crowd too.  Just get an early lead.  That’s everything.  Can’t let Panama park the bus for 90 minutes.  Leaving in an hour or so from Ottawa.  Always a fun but nervous drive!!

Edited by EJsens1

6 hours ago, Cblake said:

It simply amazing to be I able to say the south end will be pretty full even with all the change ups along the way. We have seen capacity go from 15,000 to 21,000 and finally full at 28K. Even after the last 1,000 tickets in the south end were put up for sale on Saturday, there was still interest with over 300 tickets going out the door since the increase. As of right now only 688 remain. All things considered this is great and we have to commend the Vs leadership for being on the ball with all the changes and dealing with some of the issues that popped up along the way. Lets see by kickoff how many last minute stranglers decide this is where the want to be on a Wednesday night, hanging out with us cool kids. I will point out, even the venerable Toronto Maple Leafs who will be opening up there season at the same time just down the road vs. Montreal has a number of unsold tickets, which is normally unheard of. Guess that is truly a sign of the times are currently living in. Can not wait until later today, it can not come soon enough. Cheers people. 

Adding to this, people are reluctant to come in to Toronto on an average day because of how big a pain it can be. Getting this many casuals to come downtown to BMO for a near sell out on a Wednesday night is a big feat. I just hope people are able to get in and be in seats ahead of time

On a smaller scale, caught sight of my neighbours, who I got to watch their first MNT game last window, walking to school in brand new Canada Soccer jerseys and they'll be going down to BMO for the first time today. The trains picking up steam fellas

World Cup Qualifying: What to expect from Canada vs. Panama
CBC Sports October 12 2021

The Canadian men's national soccer team is preparing to host their final October World Cup qualifying match against Panama. Panama comes into this match after defeating the United States for the first time in its World Cup Qualifying history, CBC Sports' Signa Butler speaks with Panamanian soccer journalist David Sakata for a breakdown of CanMNT's next matchup.

49 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Nervous already.  

Gonna be a long day.  

Just got to take it all in stride, taking deep breaths never forgetting Canada has the talent to win and maybe, quite possibly at lunch, enjoy one of these to ease things up. 

PEI Brewing Company Sydney St Oatmeal Stout | LCBO

Before we all know kickoff will be here. Best of luck to everyone throughout the day. Right now feels like the anticipation of Christmas eve, the gifts will come (  :

Edited by Cblake

9 hours ago, narduch said:

Good point. Mexico had Jimenez.

FIFA said teams would be fined for not releasing players if the federations didn't approve. Some federations approved (wouldn't even doubt if money was involved) players not coming. Others wanted their players anyway.

Jimenez will probably miss the Villa game upon return.

Edited by Hawkguy

I know speculation is fun, taking the easy route is boring... yadda yadda yadda...

but I totally just expect us to play the same 11 as we did against Mexico. Vitoria/Laryea/Buchanan/Miller got a games rest, David/Davies/Eustaquio are too crucial and have played similarly packed schedules with domestic and continental competions. Johnston is a star in the making. The only question marks are Osorio/Kaye, but as far as creative central midfielders we don't really have the like-for-like replacements. 

Trying not to overthink today, but the nerves are settling in. Excited to see some friendly faces in BMO again, Allez Les Rouges!

Edited by Pottsy3