WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

2 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

This is the most important game this team has had since ‘86 when you really think about it.  We need to play with an early lead.  The only time Panama has played behind in 5 games, they didn’t look good and lost to El Salvador.  We know they’ve been playing with some staunch defending, so hopefully we can strike early and force them to change their tactics 

Canada has to break through early on and score some goals, something Panama has not given up many of. They can not take the foot of the gas pedal and just go at them.

10 hours ago, David Pinto said:

Sold out twice... 3rd sell out may be difficult

Totally agree with that , the second capacity increase I think was just too close to kickoff to expect the 7,000 or so seats to be sold. I do expect some to move, anything north of 25K would be great in my eyes. 

i know it's been echoed in here, but this game could really put us in the driver's seat.

if we go with 22 points as the target, a win puts us at 10 with 8 games remaining. that puts us at needing 12 out of 24 points to reach the target.

not winning isn't a death blow, but 3 points gives us a serious foot in the door.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

i know it's been echoed in here, but this game could really put us in the driver's seat.

if we go with 22 points as the target, a win puts us at 10 with 8 games remaining. that puts us at needing 12 out of 24 points to reach the target.

not winning isn't a death blow, but 3 points gives us a serious foot in the door.

With all the ties in the 1st window, I don’t think we will need 22 points to finish 3rd, but agree with you. This has to be 3 points. Has to be. 

5 hours ago, TOCanada115 said:

With all the ties in the 1st window, I don’t think we will need 22 points to finish 3rd, but agree with you. This has to be 3 points. Has to be. 

Panama only needs 14 at this point. And their next window has 2 very winnable games. So yeah, if they get a point tomorrow... It's going to be difficult. 

However our chances are apparently still 66% at qualifying which is down from 74% before Jamaica. Panama is up to like 26% from 8%.

Agree with the 22 points theory which is pretty simple to me - win your home matches and get one point away.  We're -2 from the home matches but +2 away right now which keeps us on the pace.

If we do the business tomorrow (which we should), then even with Panama's impressive away win they're on the exact same away form as us - three points from three away matches - and our three were clearly more difficult.  And they dropped points at home to Costa Rica.

The four points from the US/Mexico at home is impressive, but we should be targeting the same, if not more.

e: also I'm not one on must wins when you're less than 50% into the cycle, but the next two home matches are must wins.

Edited by theaub

I watched more of the Panama vs US match last night.

Panama really dominated the midfield and left nothing for the US. The US definitely played a weaker XI than it could have, but they werent close to threatening at any time. It actually didn't look much different than the Panama - Jamaica match, with a more flattering score line.

It's going to be tough for us to find openings against them and we'll really have to take our chances. Will be interesting to see Herdman's tactics for this one. 

edit: the pitch also looked really bad too...we better get used to the low quality pitches like we played on in Jamaica

Edited by Floortom

Tomorrow I think Panama will most likely play hard for the draw which means sitting back again which also means they won't play into our style of hitting them on transitions.

I fear David will struggle again as he'll probably have 1 or 2 defenders on him at all times.

5 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Tomorrow I think Panama will most likely play hard for the draw which means sitting back again which also means they won't play into our style of hitting them on transitions.

I fear David will struggle again as he'll probably have 1 or 2 defenders on him at all times.

Praying we start quickly like we did vs. El Salvador. 

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Is it confirmed that Cavallini and Larin are out again?

15 minutes ago, theaub said:

Is it confirmed that Cavallini and Larin are out again?

Larin was training in Turkey yesterday and he’s not going to fly 13 hours overnight with a potential half day I’d training for a game on Wednesday.  According to whitecaps media, Cav has had very little presence at practice thus far, so can’t seen him being cleared yesterday (which surely had to be the latest deadline).  They are both not playing.

Edited by trc2014

25 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Absolutely they are playing for the draw. Likely even park the bus at times, to keep Canada in front of them. Canada has to score quickly and force them out of this mold. 

Away ties are all well and good, but we need to win games at home to get to the World Cup.

Getting a win in the Nov window will be very difficult.  We gotta get the win tomorrow to stay within striking distance of a qualification spot going into the new year.

We can't expect to qualify while dropping home points against Honduras and Panama.

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Away ties are all well and good, but we need to win games at home to get to the World Cup.

Getting a win in the Nov window will be very difficult.  We gotta get the win tomorrow to stay within striking distance of a qualification spot going into the new year.

We can't expect to qualify while dropping home points against Honduras and Panama.

I would argue that both Panama and Costa Rica home fixtures are must wins now.

We still have the 4 Central American road games left. No matter how weak you may think those sides are you want to go into those games ahead in the standings.

Edited by narduch

Without hearing team news my premature lineup -

Think we might see Tajon up top with David. Back to the 3-5-2. The speed of Tajon will keep them honest and he would be almost in a free role. We need David because don't have another real option.

Davies and Laryea as WB's. Only way Davies doesn't start if there was some agreement with Bayern or he has a slight knock. 

3 man midfield. Eustaquio and I think Wotherspoon because Kaye and Osorio's fitness may be an issue. Osorio didn't really look involved much last game and went the full 90 Kaye played 69 and hopefully he has enough to go again. If neither can start then you need Fraser or Piette. 

Miller, Vitoria and Johnston at the back. Crepeau in net. 

I am assuming even if Hoilett is available he prob won't start because of that knock. Hopefully we don't even need him. 

-------------Tajon----------David-------------

Davies---Kaye---Eustaquio---Wotherspoon---Laryea

--------Miller-------Vitoria-------Johnston---------

-------------------Creapeau---------------------

Of note 9 Panama players have started both fixtures this window, with the two changes being in their midfield. Even though out depth will be tested I think a fresh Tajon and Laryea will pay dividends. 

4 minutes ago, canuckgbp said:

Without hearing team news my premature lineup -

Think we might see Tajon up top with David. Back to the 3-5-2. The speed of Tajon will keep them honest and he would be almost in a free role. We need David because don't have another real option.

Davies and Laryea as WB's. Only way Davies doesn't start if there was some agreement with Bayern or he has a slight knock. 

3 man midfield. Eustaquio and I think Wotherspoon because Kaye and Osorio's fitness may be an issue. Osorio didn't really look involved much last game and went the full 90 Kaye played 69 and hopefully he has enough to go again. If neither can start then you need Fraser or Piette. 

Miller, Vitoria and Johnston at the back. Crepeau in net. 

I am assuming even if Hoilett is available he prob won't start because of that knock. Hopefully we don't even need him. 

-------------Tajon----------David-------------

Davies---Kaye---Eustaquio---Wotherspoon---Laryea

--------Miller-------Vitoria-------Johnston---------

-------------------Creapeau---------------------

Of note 9 Panama players have started both fixtures this window, with the two changes being in their midfield. Even though out depth will be tested I think a fresh Tajon and Laryea will pay dividends. 

Absolutely have Tajon and Ritchie ready to go for Wednesday nice and fresh will be huge Canada. Tajon just has so much to offer. I also think Canada getting up early will allow for them to sub off David of he does start and not completely run him into the ground. 

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Absolutely they are playing for the draw. Likely even park the bus at times, to keep Canada in front of them. Canada has to score quickly and force them out of this mold. 

can't let chances fall by the wasteside like against jamaica and even a few against mexico, the longer this game goes scoreless the better it is for panama.

sidebar: if we go 10 corners without ANY that even come close to giving us a chance again i might throw my tv out the window, that has become really infuriating for me.