WCQ: Canada vs Panama - Wednesday, Oct 13, 7:30pm Eastern / 4:30pm Pacific - Toronto

Whoever plays in central midfield needs to be switched on from the start. For all the talk I’ve seen of Panama sitting back, I don’t expect that. They have the ability to press with numbers and create turnovers higher up the field. The centre of the park is going to be very crowded. If we don’t move the ball quickly and opt instead for Davies and Tajon playing iso-ball, it could be a very long night. As much as Kaye has been up and down, he has the ability to receive a ball with his back to the goal, turn a touch tight defender, and move forward into space. It’s usually when he gets to laying the ball off that he runs into problems, but it’s still a better problem to have than losing it on the turn. 

One thing I really want to see is players taking shots from further out once in a while when we get to the final third. Not a lot, just enough to draw defenders out and create gaps. We’re really missing Hoilett in that regard and I haven’t really seen that willingness from other players in our lineup. 

David needs to show what he’s made of tonight. As much stick as he got with Lille last year, when the big moments cropped up, he was there. All the more reason to bomb in shots from outside. If there is a spill, he will get to it.

Lineups are out for USA-CRC. Arriola again, but otherwise about as strong as they can put out there. Steffen gets the start over Turner.

Costa Rica finally rotates in some younger guys. Lots of familiar old faces on the bench. Saborio, Oviedo, Waston, Bolanos. Interesting to see if this works out for them.

Edit: On closer inspection it looks like they’re sticking with the squad that won against El Salvador. I didn’t realize how many of their old stalwarts are now bench players.

Edited by footballfreak

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe move Wotherspoon more advanced with Oso rather than as a joint CDM, but that is basically what I see too.   

This is what I thought, always saw Wotherspoon as more of a 10 then Oso who I think does better at a box to box role. Had him there just based on history