2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

With all these names popping out of nowhere, gotta feel like when this list is released there will be a lot of guys that are left out. Which could lead to sentiments like Mitrovic or Yankov.

Broken record warning.....but with our future so bright, I hope we continue to shine a light on our youth teams. It's so important for there to be multiple ID camps at the various ages.

These 1 camp and then the final squad is made will keep the cracks that will have guys slipping through the system without adequate or any assessment. 

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

With all these names popping out of nowhere, gotta feel like when this list is released there will be a lot of guys that are left out. Which could lead to sentiments like Mitrovic or Yankov.

Broken record warning.....but with our future so bright, I hope we continue to shine a light on our youth teams. It's so important for there to be multiple ID camps at the various ages.

These 1 camp and then the final squad is made will keep the cracks that will have guys slipping through the system without adequate or any assessment. 

My worry is that someone like Lowell Wright who probably has the most pro minutes out of any U-20 eligible player will get left off the roster. I assume he's a lock but I don't know the past youth camps that have ignored lots of quality players haunts my thinking.

Here's a list to keep an eye on:

Domestic

GK - Emil Gazdov, Pacific FC
GK - Dino Bontis, Toronto FC III
DF - Kobe Franklin, Toronto FC II
DF - Keesean Ferdinand, CF montreal
DF- Matteo Campagna, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
MF - Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Toronto FC
MF - Sebastian Castello, Forge FC
MF - Kosi Thompson, Toronto FC II
MF - Rida Zouhir, CF Montreal

MF - Jean-Aniel Assi, Cavalry FC
MF - Jay Herdman, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
FW - Kamron Habibullah, Pacific FC
FW - Lowell Wright, York United
FW - Huge Mbongue, Toronto FC II

Rest of the World:

GK - Owen Goodman, Crystal Palace U-18s
GK - Nikola Borjan, Red Star Belgrade U-19
DF - Justin Smith, OGC Nice
DF- Noah Abatneh, Lazio U-19
DF - Max Schiller, C.D. Portosantense
MF -Franz Mella, Martino U-19?
MF - Matteo Galati, Sporting Lisbon U-19
MF - Hugo Tavares, FC Paços de Ferreira U-9
MF - Antoine Coupland,  Rijeka
MF - Lucas Dias, Sporting Lisbon U-23
MF - Georgi Atanasov, Arda Kardzhali 
MF - Luca Kelosha, RCD Espanyol U-19
FW - Federico Rose, Velez Sarfield U-19
FW - Tiago Coimbra, Palmerias U-19
FW - Jules Vilsaint, Antwerp U-21

* Bold indicates played professional minutes, not reserve league or U-23

9 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

I’m thinking Bontis and Herdman might have a leg up on their competition.

Does Jay Herdman even qualify for Canada?

When Whitecaps 2 signed him they said he was England and New Zealand eligible. They didn't include Canada 

12 minutes ago, Shway said:

Here's a list to keep an eye on:

Domestic

GK - Emil Gazdov, Pacific FC
GK - Dino Bontis, Toronto FC III
DF - Kobe Franklin, Toronto FC II
DF - Keesean Ferdinand, CF montreal
DF- Matteo Campagna, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
MF - Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Toronto FC
MF - Sebastian Castello, Forge FC
MF - Kosi Thompson, Toronto FC II
MF - Rida Zouhir, CF Montreal

MF - Jean-Aniel Assi, Cavalry FC
MF - Jay Herdman, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
FW - Kamron Habibullah, Pacific FC
FW - Lowell Wright, York United
FW - Huge Mbongue, Toronto FC II

Rest of the World:

GK - Owen Goodman, Crystal Palace U-18s
GK - Nikola Borjan, Red Star Belgrade U-19
DF - Justin Smith, OGC Nice
DF- Noah Abatneh, Lazio U-19
DF - Max Schiller, C.D. Portosantense
MF -Franz Mella, Martino U-19?
MF - Matteo Galati, Sporting Lisbon U-19
MF - Hugo Tavares, FC Paços de Ferreira U-9
MF - Antoine Coupland,  Rijeka
MF - Lucas Dias, Sporting Lisbon U-23
MF - Georgi Atanasov, Arda Kardzhali 
MF - Luca Kelosha, RCD Espanyol U-19
FW - Federico Rose, Velez Sarfield U-19
FW - Tiago Coimbra, Palmerias U-19
FW - Jules Vilsaint, Antwerp U-21

* Bold indicates played professional minutes, not reserve league or U-23

One that I'd probably add to the defensive core:

DF - Paul Amedume, North Texas SC (on loan from Pacific FC)

PMK brought him to MLS Next Pro with him, and he played the full match at CB in their league debut (a 3-1 win. We can always use more promising centrebacks in the pool.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

When Whitecaps 2 signed him they said he was England and New Zealand eligible. They didn't include Canada 

He is not eligible at this current time but from what I know he’s lived long enough in Canada to apply for Canadian PR. So under technicality he is eligible. 

Edit: His Transfermarkt page states he has Canadian PR but it would be good to get a second confirmation on that. 

Edited by Atlantic

While it seemed more than a bit fanciful previously is there any reason to think Jebbison being included is such a crazy idea? I don't think it is likely but it is more than worth an ask at this point. This wouldn't cap tie him in anyway would it? He could still go back and rep England later couldn't he?

He is barely playing and has always been likely to pick Canada. If that is his most likely option he is best getting involved in the youth set up now and impressing. Unless he has a break out season next year he isn't repping the mens time anytime soon. Maybe he features in the Nations league but even there he has major competition and despite it being a good place to blood a few players I am sure Herdman will want to keep at least half our current strike force and give Ugbo and Cavallini time, Akinola might be back or Peruzza making an impact too. The Nations League still has importance in our standing in Concacaf/GoldCup qualification etc. Herdman likes consistency and it wouldn't surprise me if Larin and David want to be involved, even if they are probably both going to be sorting moves. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

IIRC, kids under 18 used to automatically gain citizenship once one of their parents did. If either John or his wife have gained Canadian citizenship, it would have automatically covered their kids as well (if the rule still exists).

49 minutes ago, toontownman said:

While it seemed more than a bit fanciful previously is there any reason to think Jebbison being included is such a crazy idea? I don't think it is likely but it is more than worth an ask at this point. This wouldn't cap tie him in anyway would it? He could still go back and rep England later couldn't he?

He is barely playing and has always been likely to pick Canada. If that is his most likely option he is best getting involved in the youth set up now and impressing. Unless he has a break out season next year he isn't repping the mens time anytime soon. Maybe he features in the Nations league but even there he has major competition and despite it being a good place to blood a few players I am sure Herdman will want to keep at least half our current strike force and give Ugbo and Cavallini time, Akinola might be back or Peruzza making an impact too. The Nations League still has importance in our standing in Concacaf/GoldCup qualification etc. Herdman likes consistency and it wouldn't surprise me if Larin and David want to be involved, even if they are probably both going to be sorting moves. 

Jebbison would have to file a one-time switch to play at the U20 championship. I don't think he'd need to for some U20 friendlies, but I also don't think Sheffield United would let him leave, if he was interested.

JMR's injury recovery prognosis (8-10 weeks was Bradly Sr's guess) would possibly put him at risk of missing this tourney, or at least just coming back prior to it starting.

One of the disadvantages of half of seemingly half TFC's squad being Canadians eligible for this tourney & many getting significant minutes, I'm not sure how many will get released for this tourney anyway.