2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ridiculous decision. The 01s and 02s already missed out on their U20 cycle due to COVID and now this...

Exactly. Terrible for the 01's and 02's.

And then we will complain again when they get youth caps for other nations. :(

Edit:

@VinceA , the entire article is here:

https://www.concacaf.com/under-20s-men/article/concacaf-men-s-under-20-championship-to-qualify-teams-to-2023-fifa-u-20-men-s-world-cup-and-2024-summer-olympic-games/

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, El Hombre said:

How many do you think would actually come?

The big dual Nats (Flores, Dias, Jebbison) are for sure question marks. Of them I think Dias is the most likely and Flores the least likely. Apparently Atanasov in Bulgaria is definitely interested and follows Canadian soccer. I think he's been in Bulgarian camps before. Dimitrov hasn't made his pro debut yet and I'm not sure about his allegiances. Smith isn't getting call ups to France's U19 team so I think he accepts a call up.

The CPL and MLS guys would for sure be available although I hope the CSA begins taking the CPL seriously when it comes to youth scouting. 

Our 2019 U17 squad could have had players coming in who were in professional environments in the CPL and getting pro minutes and opted to ignore them for a full academy squad. (Pepple the main one).

I agree that the CPL and MLS guys would be there.  I don't think any Europeans will be there unless it is right in their back yard.  I would say for certain that none of the big three you have would be there.  None of them would be interested in missing time with their club teams for a Canada youth camp.  Honestly, I don't know much about Atanasov or Dimitrov to weigh in.  I doubt Vilsaint or Smith come, they're too close to the first team to want to hop the Atlantic.

In all honesty, Canadian youth camps hold very little cachet for these players.  What might actually get them to come would be invitations to Camp Poutine.  I think you'd have more luck with that if they knew they'd be with guys like Osorio or Laryea or Cavallini during the MLS off-season.  Even then, Flores was invited to one of those and still opted out, so its not guaranteed.

Also, I will never defend anything done by the U17 squad.  My thoughts on Olivieri are well known.

2 thoughts…

i like that this is being done as we need a U-20 program, I think doing this as a U-23 is too far ahead and we should make olympics later, that could and probably will change.

We can win this, and are probably one of if not the favourites… we’re top heavy and deep at this level and we will start to reap the benefits of the can PL now, I expect to see a few players there and I’m very excited.

30 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

2 thoughts…

i like that this is being done as we need a U-20 program, I think doing this as a U-23 is too far ahead and we should make olympics later, that could and probably will change.

We can win this, and are probably one of if not the favourites… we’re top heavy and deep at this level and we will start to reap the benefits of the can PL now, I expect to see a few players there and I’m very excited.

I don't see any depth on the back line.  Also, isn't Obadal a 2001?

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I don't see any depth on the back line.  Also, isn't Obadal a 2001?

I can think of Abaneth who’s missing, along with Pellogrino but he’s a CM I think ? the other NSA is missing. There’s also Piepgrass, not a defender I knowz

Edit:

Juvy Kooner is a 2003 Center back I think, and there’s another kid in Portuga who’s played for Portugal u16 who we can call. (Edit Jesse costa 

our 2003-2004 is loaded, and they’ve got pro games, going to be some very hard choices.

we could see Sali called

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

This means 01s and 02s don't get any football unless Canada makes it to the Olympics. 03s and 04s will be relied on to get us to the U20 WC and the Olympics in 2024.

Are the 2002’s not still eligible?

Edited by Dominic94

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I can think of Abaneth who’s missing, along with Pellogrino but he’s a CM I think ? the other NSA is missing. There’s also Piepgrass, not a defender I knowz

Edit:

Juvy Kooner is a 2003 Center back I think, and there’s another kid in Portuga who’s played for Portugal u16 who we can call. (Edit Jesse costa 

our 2003-2004 is loaded, and they’ve got pro games, going to be some very hard choices.

we could see Sali called

Are the 2002’s not still eligible?

No the summer 2022 event will basically be a U-19 tournament since the qualification is for the 2023 FIFA U-20 WC.

We need more opportunities not less for these youngsters. Selfishly for where our program is at, we need a new tournament like a u23 tournament. This is depressing news. CSA certainly wont be pony-ing up money, time or resources to create other opportunities, games or camps for these players. 

I hope we don't end up with more clashes with this summer tournament and the full CMNT like last Olympic qualifying. Having the men qualify for the Olympics would be another watershed moment for the game here.  We need to put out the strongest squad we can.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

I agree that the CPL and MLS guys would be there.  I don't think any Europeans will be there unless it is right in their back yard.  I would say for certain that none of the big three you have would be there.  None of them would be interested in missing time with their club teams for a Canada youth camp.  Honestly, I don't know much about Atanasov or Dimitrov to weigh in.  I doubt Vilsaint or Smith come, they're too close to the first team to want to hop the Atlantic.

In all honesty, Canadian youth camps hold very little cachet for these players.  What might actually get them to come would be invitations to Camp Poutine.  I think you'd have more luck with that if they knew they'd be with guys like Osorio or Laryea or Cavallini during the MLS off-season.  Even then, Flores was invited to one of those and still opted out, so its not guaranteed.

Also, I will never defend anything done by the U17 squad.  My thoughts on Olivieri are well known.

I could see some Euro guys joining if we do friendlies in Europe, which the program has done before (ages ago).

Otherwise if the tournament is in the summer then I don't see why our euro guys who would be willing to go wouldn't. The whole reason it's in the summer is for clubs to be more willing in releasing players.

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s kinda a full list of guys who would be eligible for this tournament

Probably missing names

2022 U-20 WCQ Canada Player Pool

GOALKEEPERS

2004 GK Nikola Borjan / Red Star Belgrade U19 - Omladinska liga Srbije(SRB) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU) 

2003 GK Emil Gazdov / FC Nurnberg U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER) 

DEFENDERS

2003 CB/CDM Justin Smith / OGC Nice - Ligue 1(FRA)

2003 CB/FB Keesean Ferdinand / Atletico Ottawa (CF Montreal)- Canadian Premier League(CAN) - MLS(USA)

2004 CB Matteo Campanga / York United (Vancouver Whitecaps) - Canadian Premier League(CAN) - MLS(USA) 

2003 FB Kobe Franklin / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2003 FB/CB/CDM Felix N’sa / York United - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CB Santiago Frias / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 FB Noah Abanteh / Lazio U18 - Campionato nazionale Under 18(ITA) 

2003 CB Matthew Medeiros / Toronto FC II - USL(USA/CAN)

2004 FB Kyle Degelman / FC Energie Cottbus U19 - U19 Bundesliga Nord(GER)

2005 FB Joshua Gordon / Toronto FC II - USL(USA/CAN)

2004 CB Shawn van Yaden / Yokohama FC U18 - JFA U18 Football championship?(JPN)

MIDFIELDERS 

2003 CAM/Winger Antoine Coupland / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CAM/Winger Lucas Dias / Sporting B/Sporting U19 - Liga 3(POR) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 CM Rida Zouhir / CF Montreal - MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 CM Johnny Son / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2006 CAM/Winger Enes Sali / FC Farul Constanta - Liga 1(ROM)

2003 CM Tomas Giraldo / FC Edmonton - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CM/CAM Matt Passacquale / Heerenveen U18 - 018 Divisie 1 Fall(NED)

2003 CAM Jaeden Mercure / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CM Brain Fortune Ananias / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga  U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 CM/CAM Pablo Hepelmann-Perez / NAC Breda U21 - 021 Divisie 1 Fal(NED)

2003 CM Mamadou Ba / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN) 

2003 CM Dale Reas-Do / Cavalry FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CDM Lorik Sadiku / Apollon U19 - Super League K19(GRE) 

2004 CM/CAM Gabriel Pellegrino /  SC Freiburg U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER)

2003 CAM/Winger Sebastian Castello / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CAM/Winger Max Piepgrass / Cavalry FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CM Luka Jeftic / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2005 CDM/CM Jesse Costa / Wolfsburg U17 - U17 Bundesliga Nord(GER)

2004 CM/CAM Jeronimo Sabbatasso / Empoli U18 - Campionato nazionale Under 18(ITA)

2003 CAM/Winger Marcelo Flores / Arsenal U18 - U18 Premier League(ENG)

2003 CAM/Winger Matthew Catavolo / CF Montreal U23 - ?(CAN)

2004 CDM/CM Jordan Lemos Alvarez / Vitoria Guimaraes U19 - Campeonato Nacional de Juniors(POR)

2005 ST Tiago Coimbra(Canada) / Palmieras U17 - Copa do Brasil Sun-17(BRA) 

2004 Winger Jahkeele Marshall Rutty / Toronto FC - MLS(USA/CAN)

2004 ST Dieu-Merci Michel / Clubbe Brugge U23??(BEL)

2003 ST Jules-Anthony Vilsaint / Royal Antwerp U21 - Reserve Pro League(BEL)

2003 ST Daniel Jebbison / Burton Albion(Sheffield UTD) - League One(ENG) - English Championship(ENG)

2003 Winger Marko Jeftic / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga  U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 ST Lowell Wright / York United - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 Winger Kamron Habibullah / Vancouver Whitecaps- MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 Winger Kosi Thompson / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2004 Winger Jean-Aniel Assi / CF Montreal - MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 ST Mamadou Kane / CF Montreal U23 - ?

2004 ST/Winger Georgi Atanasov / Arda Kardzhali - efbet Liga(BUL)

2003 ST/Winger Muslim Umar / FC Edmonton - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 ST Hugo Mbongue / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2003 ST/Winger  Ronan Kratt / SSV Ulm U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER)

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

De Guzman’s kid is eligible, Nathan Saliba is another.

Is he? Didn't he have to give up his Canadian citizenship for Dutch citizenship? I could be wrong but I thought I remember something like that happening. If that is the case, how does that affect his son having citizenship?

8 hours ago, JamesF said:

Here’s kinda a full list of guys who would be eligible for this tournament

Probably missing names

2022 U-20 WCQ Canada Player Pool

GOALKEEPERS

2004 GK Nikola Borjan / Red Star Belgrade U19 - Omladinska liga Srbije(SRB) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU) 

2003 GK Emil Gazdov / FC Nurnberg U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER) 

DEFENDERS

2003 CB/CDM Justin Smith / OGC Nice - Ligue 1(FRA)

2003 CB/FB Keesean Ferdinand / Atletico Ottawa (CF Montreal)- Canadian Premier League(CAN) - MLS(USA)

2004 CB Matteo Campanga / York United (Vancouver Whitecaps) - Canadian Premier League(CAN) - MLS(USA) 

2003 FB Kobe Franklin / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2003 FB/CB/CDM Felix N’sa / York United - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CB Santiago Frias / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 FB Noah Abanteh / Lazio U18 - Campionato nazionale Under 18(ITA) 

2003 CB Matthew Medeiros / Toronto FC II - USL(USA/CAN)

2004 FB Kyle Degelman / FC Energie Cottbus U19 - U19 Bundesliga Nord(GER)

2005 FB Joshua Gordon / Toronto FC II - USL(USA/CAN)

2004 CB Shawn van Yaden / Yokohama FC U18 - JFA U18 Football championship?(JPN)

MIDFIELDERS 

2003 CAM/Winger Antoine Coupland / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CAM/Winger Lucas Dias / Sporting B/Sporting U19 - Liga 3(POR) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 CM Rida Zouhir / CF Montreal - MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 CM Johnny Son / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2006 CAM/Winger Enes Sali / FC Farul Constanta - Liga 1(ROM)

2003 CM Tomas Giraldo / FC Edmonton - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CM/CAM Matt Passacquale / Heerenveen U18 - 018 Divisie 1 Fall(NED)

2003 CAM Jaeden Mercure / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CM Brain Fortune Ananias / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga  U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 CM/CAM Pablo Hepelmann-Perez / NAC Breda U21 - 021 Divisie 1 Fal(NED)

2003 CM Mamadou Ba / Atletico Ottawa - Canadian Premier League(CAN) 

2003 CM Dale Reas-Do / Cavalry FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CDM Lorik Sadiku / Apollon U19 - Super League K19(GRE) 

2004 CM/CAM Gabriel Pellegrino /  SC Freiburg U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER)

2003 CAM/Winger Sebastian Castello / Forge FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 CAM/Winger Max Piepgrass / Cavalry FC - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 CM Luka Jeftic / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2005 CDM/CM Jesse Costa / Wolfsburg U17 - U17 Bundesliga Nord(GER)

2004 CM/CAM Jeronimo Sabbatasso / Empoli U18 - Campionato nazionale Under 18(ITA)

2003 CAM/Winger Marcelo Flores / Arsenal U18 - U18 Premier League(ENG)

2003 CAM/Winger Matthew Catavolo / CF Montreal U23 - ?(CAN)

2004 CDM/CM Jordan Lemos Alvarez / Vitoria Guimaraes U19 - Campeonato Nacional de Juniors(POR)

2005 ST Tiago Coimbra(Canada) / Palmieras U17 - Copa do Brasil Sun-17(BRA) 

2004 Winger Jahkeele Marshall Rutty / Toronto FC - MLS(USA/CAN)

2004 ST Dieu-Merci Michel / Clubbe Brugge U23??(BEL)

2003 ST Jules-Anthony Vilsaint / Royal Antwerp U21 - Reserve Pro League(BEL)

2003 ST Daniel Jebbison / Burton Albion(Sheffield UTD) - League One(ENG) - English Championship(ENG)

2003 Winger Marko Jeftic / FK Zvijezda U19 - Premijer Liga  U19(BOS) - UEFA YOUTH LEAGUE(EU)

2003 ST Lowell Wright / York United - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2003 Winger Kamron Habibullah / Vancouver Whitecaps- MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 Winger Kosi Thompson / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2004 Winger Jean-Aniel Assi / CF Montreal - MLS(USA/CAN)

2003 ST Mamadou Kane / CF Montreal U23 - ?

2004 ST/Winger Georgi Atanasov / Arda Kardzhali - efbet Liga(BUL)

2003 ST/Winger Muslim Umar / FC Edmonton - Canadian Premier League(CAN)

2004 ST Hugo Mbongue / Toronto FC II - USL1(USA/CAN)

2003 ST/Winger  Ronan Kratt / SSV Ulm U19 - U19 Bundesliga Süd(GER)

Mael Henry (CM) & Loic Cloutier (CB), both from Montreal U23's.  Both were key players for the 2004 Canada cycle that had the WC Qualifying cancelled.