2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

If we see anything interesting at the U-20s I'll be the first to admit I've underestimated him. In fact I almost certainly have.

For now, ever since @SpecialK went on his huge rant and compared Olivieri to Peter Griffin, I've just been having too much fun posting Family Guy GIFs.

happy family guy GIF by HULU

You miss @SpecialK don't you 😁

I don't have much faith considering our history in U20s tourneys. But I have to imagine if Olivieri is completely trash he'll get kicked to the curb, particularly if we have a strong squad. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and we'll see.

However Biello was very underwhelming with the U23s, especially how for some fucking reason he kept using Bassong as some sort of holding full back who was central, not to mention ignoring the CPL like Campbell and Ongaro all in the name of "match fitness" although he also did lose the TFC players to COVID.

edit: I will add something that may throw a wrinkle. A friend of mine who is a coach had a chance to go with our school to IMG academy a few years ago. He met Olivieri and a number of other youth coaches and some CONCACAF staff. I don't remember the full convo we had but I remember him saying that Olivieri wasn't so much of the brains but had instructions on how to use the players at the U17 championship and had to follow them. He also apparently was at odds with Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto over playing time and how players were used. Maybe he'll be better if he has more autonomy.

Edited by VinceA

6 hours ago, VinceA said:

I don't have much faith considering our history in U20s tourneys. But I have to imagine if Olivieri is completely trash he'll get kicked to the curb, particularly if we have a strong squad. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though and we'll see.

However Biello was very underwhelming with the U23s, especially how for some fucking reason he kept using Bassong as some sort of holding full back who was central, not to mention ignoring the CPL like Campbell and Ongaro all in the name of "match fitness" although he also did lose the TFC players to COVID.

edit: I will add something that may throw a wrinkle. A friend of mine who is a coach had a chance to go with our school to IMG academy a few years ago. He met Olivieri and a number of other youth coaches and some CONCACAF staff. I don't remember the full convo we had but I remember him saying that Olivieri wasn't so much of the brains but had instructions on how to use the players at the U17 championship and had to follow them. He also apparently was at odds with Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto over playing time and how players were used. Maybe he'll be better if he has more autonomy.

So TFC demanded that everything was routed through Jayden Nelson? Brazil had the game plan, and just sent 3 guys at him as if he was the only option. 

To be fair Olivieri will get the b.o.d because of the lack of preparation. Biello had the same thing for me because he had to deal with basically a second string squad with all the unavailabilities. Looking back I can't argue that Ongaro and Campbell weren't involved over the likes of Brym and Bair - the jury is still out. (Bassong was playing a holding LWB!)

I'm not going to be surprised if we don't do well, solely because of the lack of preparation and the necessary ID-ing of players. I'm hoping to be surprised of how well we do.

This is the 2004 group Eric Tenllado coached which had success at Concacaf (beating Mexico 2-0).

CANADA
GK- Max Anchor | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
GK- Dino Bontis | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Loïc Cloutier | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
CB- Markus Pusztahegyi | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
FB- Renaud Caron | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
FB- Josh Gordon | CAN  / Toronto FC Academy
M- Luca Accettola | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Jordan Alvarez | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Matteo Campagna | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
M- Malik Daouda | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Maël Henry | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Nathan-Dylan Saliba | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Marko Stojadinovic | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Theo Afework | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
F- Jean-Aniel Assi | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
F- Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Hugo Mbongue Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Charles-Étienne Volcy | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal

News Release:

https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/1036820

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

One thing I find odd is that clearly Sigma is doing great work and have many players come through the ranks and turn pro yet the CSA at no point is like "hey maybe we should scout the club and see the players"

No no no, silly.

All forum members have agreed that we only want our youth players from:

1) Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
2) Toronto FC Academy
3) Vancouver Whitecaps Academy

If they call even a single player from elsewhere, we can no longer collectively accuse the CSA of being lazy and of shit scouting and that would not do! :D

Isn't talking about how much better player "X who wasn't called" would have done in a specific situation half the fun of the U17s and U20s?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

5 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

how many teams make it out of the group stages? this could potentially be very good, because it seems like concacaf rigged the draw to make sure usa and Mexico won't face each other until the finals

It was rigged deliberately, or rather, officially.  The top 4 teams were placed based on their rankings.  

Top 3 make from each group make it.

Edited by Metro

1 minute ago, Metro said:

It was rigged deliberately.  The top 4 teams were placed based on their rankings.  

Top 3 make from each group make it.

We also need to know the knockout rounds placement as well...for Women's U-20 it was not known until the last group stage.

2 minutes ago, Jedi Ram said:

We also need to know the knockout rounds placement as well...for Women's U-20 it was not known until the last group stage.

If you take the women's draw into account, it appears to me that Canada avoids Mexico and the US until the semis...

On 2/24/2022 at 5:31 PM, scooterlawrence5 said:

This is the 2004 group Eric Tenllado coached which had success at Concacaf (beating Mexico 2-0).

CANADA
GK- Max Anchor | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
GK- Dino Bontis | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
CB- Loïc Cloutier | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
CB- Markus Pusztahegyi | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
FB- Renaud Caron | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
FB- Josh Gordon | CAN  / Toronto FC Academy
M- Luca Accettola | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Jordan Alvarez | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
M- Matteo Campagna | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
M- Malik Daouda | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Maël Henry | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Nathan-Dylan Saliba | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
M- Marko Stojadinovic | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Theo Afework | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Academy
F- Jean-Aniel Assi | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal
F- Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Hugo Mbongue Mbongue | CAN / Toronto FC Academy
F- Charles-Étienne Volcy | CAN / Académie de l’Impact de Montréal

News Release:

https://www.ontariosoccer.net/news_article/show/1036820

I'm guessing players from 2003 and some from 02 are eligible to play. 

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

US is loaded at this level I feel like we got screwed.

In a one-off I'm still more comfortable playing the US than Mexico.

e: if it works like the women Group E/G are together in the knockout bracket, so coming in 1st would mean playing a qualifier + G2 to get to the WC, while coming in second means playing G3 + G1.

Edited by theaub