2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

7 hours ago, VinceA said:

Interesting to see some of the names listed. I do hope the CSA takes into account guys who are already playing pro, which at the U20 level we have an abundance like we've never had before.

I would think almost anyone in the U20 pool would be a pro at this point outside of someone exceptional in the US College ranks. Is there one?

11 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm very interested to see what formation this team uses. Lots of wingers and a lack of defending depth makes me think we won't be seeing a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2 but then again they might want to emulate the senior team as much as they can.

image.png.20a38077166182f1967ee92258130451.png

If we ran a 3-5-2, this could be interesting but I have no idea how the left side of the defense will look. I just put an out of position Franklin, but I supposed Habibullah could play there. Also realistically you'd want something that can use wingers, otherwise guys like Habibullah and Atanasov have nowhere to play except out of position up top or as a wingback.

Lots of questions to be asked.

Edited by VinceA

I think I have figured out how this tournament will work with 20 teams.

It will run similar to the Concacaf U-20 Women's Championship that is about to start on Friday. That tournament also has 20 teams where 4 qualified in a Preliminary tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CONCACAF_Women's_U-20_Championship

The 4 teams that qualified in the Pre-tournament go directly to the round of 16 in the Knock-out stages (DR, Curacao, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico).

The 16 teams that have already qualified will be put in 4 groups of 4. The top 3 teams for each group will advance.

It looks like Canada will be in Pot 3 for this draw.

image.png.c74c5e13125a7b101db28375709c8a5f.png

5 minutes ago, Metro said:

It will be 20 teams, not 16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_CONCACAF_U-20_Championship

So assuming four groups of 5, Canada will be in pot 2.

Re read my post above. The 4 teams that played in the pre qualifying tournament will go directly to the knockout stage.

Check out the format for the Women's U-20 which is starting on Friday. 

3 minutes ago, Metro said:

^^ OK, I didn't understand it because it doesn't make sense.  Why do the 4 worst teams get a bye into the knockout?  Because CONCACAF?

Of course it doesn't make sense. But these are the same people that created that original stupid WCQ format.

Those 4 teams will have to play a 1st place team from the group stage. So they will more than likely be out after 1 game.

The one thing about this format is that it is pretty forgiving if you start slow. You just need to get in the top 3 in your group

3 minutes ago, Metro said:

^^ OK, I didn't understand it because it doesn't make sense.  Why do the 4 worst teams get a bye into the knockout?  Because CONCACAF?

Because they already played in a qualifying tournament, and the extra cost of accommodations needed to play a second group stage is not an expense many of the smaller federations can easily afford. It would basically be extra financial punishment for any team that isn't in the top 16.

They also get drawn against the group winners in the round of 16, so they aren't getting any kind of advantage, in the end.

7 hours ago, narduch said:

I think I have figured out how this tournament will work with 20 teams.

It will run similar to the Concacaf U-20 Women's Championship that is about to start on Friday. That tournament also has 20 teams where 4 qualified in a Preliminary tournament.

The 16 teams that have already qualified will be put in 4 groups of 4. The top 3 teams for each group will advance.

So to clarify;

Semi-Finalists qualify for 2023 FIFA U-23 World Cup in Indonesia

Finalists qualify for 2024 Summer Olympics in France

What about 2023 Pan-American Games in Chile ?  In the past, this tournament was also used as a qualification.   For reference 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship - Wikipedia

Edited by Jedi Ram
Included the reference for Pan American Games

1 hour ago, Jedi Ram said:

So to clarify;

Semi-Finalists qualify for 2023 FIFA U-23 World Cup in Indonesia

Finalists qualify for 2024 Summer Olympics in France

What about 2023 Pan-American Games in Chile ?  In the past, this tournament was also used as a qualification.   For reference 2018 CONCACAF U-20 Championship - Wikipedia

That's right.

3 teams from each group of 4 advance to the knockout stages.

You need to win 2 knockout matches to make the U-20 World Cup and 3 to make the Olympics. 

A lot of it may simply come down to luck of the bracket 

4 hours ago, toontownman said:

Don't understand why Biello wasn't given the honors. I guess he is too important to lose from the CNMT Qualifiers. 

Dunno...

...because Olivieri told the CSA he was up to the job and they believed him?

Trust Us Fox Tv GIF by AniDom

BTW , where is @SpecialK ? Does anybody know who he is IRL?

9 hours ago, toontownman said:

Don't understand why Biello wasn't given the honors. I guess he is too important to lose from the CNMT Qualifiers. 

As posted in the CMNT general thread, this podcast got a leaked video from 2020 of Herdman's presentation of his vision to achieve tactical excellence. After Herdman, they mentioned Olivieri did most of the presenting. 

So like some underestimated Herdman's tactical acumen, we may be doing the same with Olivieri. While we haven't seen it yet with Olivieri, he may actually be a stable genius.

13 hours ago, red card said:

underestimated...Olivieri....While we haven't seen it yet with Olivieri, he may actually be a stable genius

If we see anything interesting at the U-20s I'll be the first to admit I've underestimated him. In fact, I almost certainly have.

For now, ever since @SpecialK went on his huge rant and compared Olivieri to Peter Griffin, I've just been having too much fun posting Family Guy GIFs.

happy family guy GIF by HULU

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille