2023 U20 CONCACAF Championship and U23 Olympic Qualification to be merged in a tournament in Summer 2022

VinceA

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Huh?!  Two makes a bunch? Out of Kone and Zouhir only Ismael has seen regular minutes.

Yes. Montreal's Canadian contingent tends to skew older than what would help this particular (U23) team.

44 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Too old for u20's but hopefully eligible for Canada. Still not fully confirmed though is it?

Most of the CF Montreal players eligible will likely be on loan to CPL clubs. 

Other than Zouhir they have Ferdinand, Assi, Giraldo and Saliba.

Sorry for the confusion. I was clarifying he was too old for the u20s.

There is a very very good chance he is eligible for Canada, there are a bunch of mixed reports of when he moved here but all of them say he has been here for at least 5 years. Some confusion stems from him not completing his Canadian citizenship yet.

8 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Huh?!  Two makes a bunch? Out of Kone and Zouhir only Ismael has seen regular minutes.

see this post below

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Too old for u20's but hopefully eligible for Canada. Still not fully confirmed though is it?

Most of the CF Montreal players eligible will likely be on loan to CPL clubs. 

Other than Zouhir they have Ferdinand, Assi, Giraldo and Saliba.

Assi is critically acclaimed
Zouhir has looked good when he's played.
Ferdinand did well at Ottawa when he was played in his position. One of their bright spots imo. 

The other two, I haven't seen play but are apparently good. 

It's great we are having a camp, but I can't get excited because this isn't enough time to select/assess a squad based on the aforementioned 50 player database. 

To me if you're playing professional minutes against men, then you automatically should trump some guys. But I do also understand it's not really like that as some guys just haven't gotten an opportunity. So how do you assess that with one camp. 

You cant. 

9 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Assi is all talk until he actually plays. If he was really all that Nancy would have played him by now.

agree...but so is everybody else that hasn't played a professional minute. 
That's a lot of guys.

12 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Kind of crazy the format for this. 2002s are not eligible for a U20 tournament played in 2022. But if they qualify, even 2002s and 2001s will be able to play in the Olympics 2 years later I believe.

That's because the tourney is technically a U19 tourney as the U20 WC is usually a year later.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

That's because the tourney is technically a U19 tourney as the U20 WC is usually a year later.

I get it but now it’s no more a U20 WCQ tournament than it is a U23 OQ tournament. So it’s odd to call it a U20 tournament. Why not just let 20 year olds play, since that would make it a U20 tournament, and allow more people from the potential Olympic team to play.

17 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I get it but now it’s no more a U20 WCQ tournament than it is a U23 OQ tournament. So it’s odd to call it a U20 tournament. Why not just let 20 year olds play, since that would make it a U20 tournament, and allow more people from the potential Olympic team to play.

Agreed.

It doesn't make sense. 

On 2/13/2022 at 1:36 PM, JamesF said:

@MM3/MM2/MM  Abatneh had been confirmed by his coach in Italy for the original youth camp that was cancelled and was always listed. The other three were mentioned earlier, as above. Although I wonder who's listing it on Transfermarkt... definitely going to be keeping an eye on that.

Hopefully its not just filled to the brim with academy products who aren't even training with the first team yet. If it is we're gonna get murked when we come up against the other countries in the summer who will have mostly professionals in their U20 squads.

I wonder if a Euro-heavy squad means the MLS players (JMR, Zouhir) aren't being released by their respective clubs?  It would be nice to see a couple of the higher profile Euros called.  I think Jebbison and Flores are pipedreams, but Dias and Smith would be nice.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Hopefully its not just filled to the brim with academy products who aren't even training with the first team yet. If it is we're gonna get murked when we come up against the other countries in the summer who will have mostly professionals in their U20 squads.

19 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I wonder if a Euro-heavy squad means the MLS players (JMR, Zouhir) aren't being released by their respective clubs?  It would be nice to see a couple of the higher profile Euros called.  I think Jebbison and Flores are pipedreams, but Dias and Smith would be nice.

Highly possibly. I hate to be always finding negatives amongst positive news. But if this does happen and the list seems to be heavily European focused, and absent our North American professionals - I'll be sad at the missed opportunity of not having a domestic camp to supplement this. 

This is going to remind me of how Ontario used to (don't know if they still do) make their provincial teams. A quick assessment here quick assessment there, and cuts are then made to make a final team = gaps.

This could also mean a shift in thinking. Prevent the Euros from commiting to other countries. The MLS and CPL kids are already here. Plus it makes sense that JMR and Zouhur get a spot in Nation League. Might this be a bad idea to look at mostly Euros? Maybe. But at least they are doing something new. Also we are all going on one tweet and an obscure list on Transfer Market. LOL......

I’m not sure the selection process of how they got guys to commit to the camp but those three guys in Portugal that’ve been rumoured, to my knowledgeable the two kids in the U19s haven’t even played a game yet and then the CB joined a team in the fourth tier of Portugal. If they are in the 23 man squad I’d be a bit disappointed to be honest, if we want to be serious at the U20 level we need to get most of the top players coming. 

Theres also this tweet…

Edited by Atlantic

19 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

I’m not sure the selection process of how they got guys to commit to the camp but those three guys in Portugal that’ve been rumoured, to my knowledgeable the two kids in the U19s haven’t even played a game yet and then the CB joined a team in the fourth tier of Portugal. If they are in the 23 man squad I’d be a bit disappointed to be honest, if we want to be serious at the U20 level we need to get most of the top players coming. 

Theres also this tweet…

the fuck is going on in that tweet LOL

Edited by VinceA

22 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Theres also this tweet…

I’m very confused with the tweets 

22 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Theres also this tweet…

Which three players are they yapping about.