GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

The proof is in the pudding.

If the Gold Cup really mattered to most posters on this board, the Costa Rica thread (!!!!) would not be the most active one here only two days before the semi final. 

The evidence shows the GC is not that important to most here: that Canada-Mexico Semi-Final thread is pretty dead. For example, as we stand not one poster on this board has even tried to analyse our upcoming rival. 

So stop being a bunch of hypocrites, you are the ones who are proving my point.

You can be sure that sometime around the 3rd week of August every single one of our WC qualifying rivals will have their own dedicated thread where fans will be analysing our rivals in detail. Players, tactics, their friendlies, we'll know which El Salvador keepers are injured, which Honduran wing is being investigated for tax evasion. Because WC qualifying matters.

Okay everyone, let’s settle this.

like this post with a little blue heart if the Gold Cup (specifically this edition of it) is important to you.

sad react this post with a crying emoji if you think it is unimportant.

Since I can’t react to my own post, consider me down for a little blue heart.

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If the Gold Cup really mattered to most posters on this board, the Costa Rica thread (!!!!) would not be the most active one here only two days before the semi final. 

The evidence shows the GC is not that important to most here: that Canada-Mexico Semi-Final thread is pretty dead. For example, as we stand not one poster on this board has even tried to analyse our upcoming rival. 

You can be sure that sometime around the 3rd week of August every single one of our WC qualifying rivals will have their own dedicated thread where fans will be analysing our rivals in detail. Players, tactics, their friendlies, we'll know which El Salvador keepers are injured, which Honduran wing is being investigated for tax evasion. Because WC qualifying matters.

Since you like evidence, consider the following:

- your post claiming that the GC is not important got 3 likes and one person laughing at you. 

- my post telling you that is dumb got 21 positive endorsements.  

If you still think you are speaking for the majority of people here (as you initially claimed), you are delusional.  

And just to clarify, yet again, the fact that the Gold Cup is not as important as the World Cup doesn’t mean it is unimportant.  It is baffling how you can’t grasp that because your whole position is grounded in that incorrect idea.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

To be honest, half of me propping up Wheeler is just to break up the constant string of over-the-top complaints.  There have been commentators I didn't like in the past, so I just turned the volume down.  The mute button is great.

The other half is that I don't need someone with an accent blandly narrating what I can plainly see.  Gimme someone with passion.

The third half is that its unique.  Unique is fun.

The mute button is NOT great. Why the fuck would I not want to hear the game? If they offered an option with no commentary at all - I would gladly take that. 

You can have passion and not be a fucking homer.

It's not unique. It's a drunk fan at a game screaming at the ref who has been given a microphone.

2 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

like this post with a little blue heart if the Gold Cup (specifically this edition of it) is important to you.

Cheap way to get likes 😜

I might have to try that...

"'Heart' if I should open another beer, 'Thanks' if I should switch to wine, 'Laugh' if I should mix single-malt scotch with ginger ale....

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Question- is Wheeler like this when he does TFC games on the radio ? I don’t listen to TSN 1050, so I have no idea. 

I think one soccer is great for Canada and the pregame and post game are awesome. I miss that show with Craig Forrest and James Sharman. But Wheeler is just too much and I truly believe he makes one soccer and Canada look amateur. I don’t get why one soccer hasn’t went to him and said dude relax, call the game,  be passionate yes but professional. 

I hope in the future they do a ESPN FC type show. 

Exactly this. I'm FINE with him being a homer and over the top when Canada scores. He's the announcer for Canada - so of course that will happen. And the tidbits about Canadian players are fine as well. Hell focusing more on the Canadian players is completely fine because 1) that's what he knows and 2) I don't care about random players from Bermuda. 

However, when he starts shitting on the referees, or screaming for fouls, or sticking up for Canadian players who committed fouls, ... it's so fucking annoying. How many times have you heard Wheeler scream HOW'S THAT NOT A PENALTY... and the Canadian player was barely touched. It's so downright awful. And not only that.. he goes on about "missed calls" (whether they were legit or not) for another 5-10 minutes. I swear you can literally hear Dunfield screaming internally half the time.

And honestly - I would be more forgiving if it just happened in games against bigger sides, where emotions can get the best of you. But when we're winning a game 7-0 and he's screaming at the referee, I want to punch him in the face so he stops talking.

Edited by Hawkguy

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

- your post claiming that the GC is not important got 3 likes and one person laughing at you. 

If you still think you are speaking for the majority of people here (as you initially claimed), you are delusional.  

And just to clarify, yet again, the fact that the Gold Cup is not as important as the World Cup doesn’t mean it is unimportant.  It is baffling how you can’t grasp that because your whole position is grounded in that incorrect idea.  

Even though I agree with you, notice that I didn't like your post.

Reactions are not always an indicator you've made the superior point. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Exactly this. I'm FINE with him being a homer and over the top when Canada scores. He's the announcer for Canada - so of course that will happen. And the tidbits about Canadian players are fine as well. Hell focusing more on the Canadian players is completely fine because 1) that's what he knows and 2) I don't care about random players from Bermuda. 

However, when he starts shitting on the referees, or screaming for fouls, or sticking up for Canadian players who committed fouls, ... it's so fucking annoying. How many times have you heard Wheeler scream HOW'S THAT NOT A PENALTY... and the Canadian player was barely touched. It's so downright awful. And not only that.. he goes on about "missed calls" (whether they were legit or not) for another 5-10 minutes. I swear you can literally hear Dunfield screaming internally half the time.

And honestly - I would be more forgiving if it just happened in games against bigger sides, where emotions can get the best of you. But when we're winning a game 7-0 and he's screaming at the referee, I want to punch him in the face so he stops talking.

Dude....maybe the problem isn't Wheeler.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Even though I agree with you, notice that I didn't like your post.

Reactions are not always an indicator you've made the superior point. 

In this case though, he claims to be speaking for the majority so I am using the most democratic indicator available.  Consider it a proxy metric in lieu of anything better. 

It is clear that he is wrong.  He may feel that way, but quite obviously most here disagree.  For someone who can generally produce well written posts, the lack of logic in his current position is puzzling.   

Edited by dyslexic nam

25 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I can’t believe how important winning this argument is to you.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

In this case though, he claims to be speaking for the majority so I am using the most democratic indicator available.  Consider it a proxy metric in lieu of anything better. 

It is clear that he is wrong.  He may feel that way, but quite obviously most here disagree.  For someone who can generally produce well written posts, the lack of logic in his current position is puzzling.   

To argue that the Gold Cup unimportant is defensible at least, although I disagree. But now he is arguing that those who believe it is important are actually wrong in that belief, and that deep down they know it is unimportant despite saying otherwise. Bizarre.

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

To be honest, half of me propping up Wheeler is just to break up the constant string of over-the-top complaints.  There have been commentators I didn't like in the past, so I just turned the volume down.  The mute button is great.

The other half is that I don't need someone with an accent blandly narrating what I can plainly see.  Gimme someone with passion.

The third half is that its unique.  Unique is fun.

But what I'd really love to know is why exactly, deep down, are so many of us put-off, upset, annoyed with how Wheeler calls these games. I mean, truly.  Yeah, I wish he wasn't so goofy and such an over-the-top homer, but so what if he is? What is it--at a fundamental level--that is bugging so many of us?  Could it be that we cringe at his rampant naivete, that we desire a play-by-play guy who brings the same level of quality that our lads are showing on the field, that we know that part of what we want to see happen in this country is for our national men's team to garner a lot more support, and that IF we are going to be taken seriously and respected by Euro-biased fans in Canada then it isn't enough just to play great football and get results, we must make sure that every aspect of our soccer culture is top drawer, including the media that covers it. (Not to mention the manager's hairdo, the design of our kits, how we sing the national anthem etc.)  

And all of that is understandable.  Wheels comes across a little bit like one's over enthusiastic aunt at your soccer match, someone who loves you to pieces and wants to show you that love by cheering her ass off every time you boot the ball, but who--let's be honest--has barely a clue what's really happening on the pitch.  Okay, that is a bit unfair: Wheels knows the game better than that. But he comes across as a promoter more than a play-by-play guy. And maybe that is what is putting people off.

For the record, Wheels does not bug me. (This is my first and last post on the man.) He's kooky and a bit amateurish, but he brings the energy and the terrible couture, and he's part of the nutty, truly unique soccer culture that we all inhabit and contribute to. He's kind of like a Voyageur in that respect, and I think we can all agree that ain't so bad.

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I put a blue heart because I don't know you and just in case.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

The fact you are bragging about your likes on the Costa Rica thread when we have a Mexico semi-final in two days pretty proves my point, I'd say. I mean, no one has even analysed the rival yet over there, there are more posts today on Wheeler. 

Word!