GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

I use to find it a little cringe but overall no problem, I still enjoyed it. They are basically passionate Canadian fans like us doing the commentary, which is pretty awesome.

However, the more I hear the negative comments about Wheeler and Dunfield the less I enjoy their commentary. Funny how that works, eh?

Now I am hyper aware of their pitfalls without even realizing it, which definitely makes for a less enjoyable experience.

So from now on I am just going to try and avoid the negativity about their style and enjoy them for what they are!

We don't need a posh accented Brit but I'd like someone a little more silver tongued and agile. Wheels' voice doesn't work in general, it's not mellifluous. Add on the fanboy element and the repetition of eye rolling cliches and it really removes a lot of atmosphere. Get someone quick witted and eloquent in there who can snap off a genuine bon mot or trenchant insight here and there.

I find it odd in these game threads that there are seemingly more comments about the commentary than there are about the actual games. 

As crap as the Ticos were (they looked more like the Tacos), looking back at that opening goal I feel like we caught a break that they were using their 3rd string keeper instead of their 2nd, who was suspended. Nice play by us of course but their keeper really hesitated to come off his line

30 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I find it odd in these game threads that there are seemingly more comments about the commentary than there are about the actual games. 

As crap as the Ticos were (they looked more like the Tacos), looking back at that opening goal I feel like we caught a break that they were using their 3rd string keeper instead of their 2nd, who was suspended. Nice play by us of course but their keeper really hesitated to come off his line

I thought the same on first viewing and the first few replays, but for me the ball was always close enough to Hoilett that the keeper couldn't just charge out and clear it. Hoilett wasn't going full speed and if the keeper had charged out of the 18 to get to the ball I think Junior could have sped up and stepped around him.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

This is because deep down the majority understand the Gold Cup is not important, or not very. And these results and our play only give us little lessons going forward.

If we come out of the first three matches of World Cup qualifying with more than 4 points I think we will be talking a bit more about our play on the field and a lot less about the commentary. And not just because a chunk of us will go see the games live.

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Wheeler does strike me as being that petty, and quite fragile too. I get the homer biased, fair, its a product aimed at a Canadian audience.. what I don't get is the need to be a cheerleader fanboy, it comes off as very unprofessional and extremely cringe. Now Clare Rustad, thats a good pro Canada commentator (would love OneSoccer trying to get her onboard for the Ocho)

I don't know the guy personally to comment on that, but when it comes to being a cheerleader, fanboy, I think that's just a North American thing as the Fox commentators were pretty bad as well last Sunday. I remember local NHL radio broadcasts around 14 years ago, you could feel the anger and the pettiness in the voice if their local teams were losing, whether they were they were guys commentating for Vancouver, Calgary, Pittsburgh, Philly, it didn't matter. 

1 hour ago, Lansdude said:

We don't need a posh accented Brit but I'd like someone a little more silver tongued and agile. Wheels' voice doesn't work in general, it's not mellifluous. Add on the fanboy element and the repetition of eye rolling cliches and it really removes a lot of atmosphere. Get someone quick witted and eloquent in there who can snap off a genuine bon mot or trenchant insight here and there.

Now that NHL on NBC is done and dusted, any chance Doc Emrick can come out of retirement for us? 😄 IMO, probably my favourite PBP guy for any sport. 

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

People have more to say when it's going bad.

We won and I'm happy. No need to come to this site and bitch

After a sober 2nd watch the few things that I took away a little differently than the impressions I took home last night.

Hoilett had one Hell of a match.  He may not be able to run with the kids but there is a brain at work in that head along with an eye and he's working on the same radio frequency with his attacking teammates.  

Osorio's best match yet.  Feels like he's been a bit lost in that happy third but not so much last night.  No sir.

We're going to miss Cav and Vitoria against Mexico more than I'd like.  I firmly believe that.  

31 minutes ago, narduch said:

People have more to say when it's going bad.

We won and I'm happy. No need to come to this site and bitch

It's the circle of life.  The further out you get from an actual game, either before or afterwards, win or lose, the higher propensity to fight amongst ourselves.  I was working out the mathematical formula, based on what I called the "voyageurs constant" but SpursFlu has upset all my calculations.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is because deep down the majority understand the Gold Cup is not important, or not very. 

Maybe I am in the minority but I can’t stress how strongly I disagree with this point of view.  This is our continental championship.  I get that it isn’t the Euros, but it is literally the second biggest tournament our senior national team plays in.  And we haven’t even reached the latter qualification stages of the other one in decades.  I know I am repeating myself, but if your only enjoyment of Canadian senior men’s soccer is essentially “World Cup of bust” then I don’t get it   

We are fans of Canadian soccer - not just of the World Cup.  This isn’t some minor league cup competition that is a distraction.  I enjoy it for its own sake - even when it occurs in WCQ years and is viewed by some as an annoying injury risk.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Maybe I am in the minority but I can’t stress how strongly I disagree with this point of view.  This is our continental championship.  I get that it isn’t the Euros, but it is literally the second biggest tournament our senior national team plays in.  And we haven’t even reached the latter qualification stages of the other one in decades.  I know I am repeating myself, but if your only enjoyment of Canadian senior men’s soccer is essentially “World Cup of bust” then I don’t get it   

We are fans of Canadian soccer - not just of the World Cup.  This isn’t some minor league cup competition that is a distraction.  I enjoy it for its own sake - even when it occurs in WCQ years and is viewed by some as an annoying injury risk.  

He’s now resorting to trying to convince everyone that they subconsciously share his viewpoint because no one agrees with him. 

This is the only trophy we have a shot at. It’s just so ridiculous ... this board follows club results and friendlies religiously but when it comes to our continental championship we should just not care. Save it for the friendlies and World Cup qualifiers we play every 4 years. 

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

But judging by someone else's observation that there are more posts on the commentary at OneSoccer than on the match, you don't really believe that at all. 

Compare these GC matches with the intensity and tension for our 4 qualifiers in JUne.

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But judging by someone else's observation that there are more posts on the commentary at OneSoccer than on the match, you don't really believe that at all. 

Compare these GC matches with the intensity and tension for our 4 qualifiers in JUne.

I can't wrap my head around your logic, it's complete nonsense.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That is fallacious thinking.  The fact that we placed more importance on a series of absolutely crucial WCQ matches doesn’t make the Gold Cup unimportant.   No one has argued that the GC is on equal footing.  If that is the point you are debating against, enjoy battling with that straw man.  

You said that the GC is not important. That is false.  It is important to us and to the region.  

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Because Theo only missed 2 great chances in even less time on the pitch?

I don't get it. We are talking about Tesho, who has never been a major scorer, he's an MLS journeyman. And he came in from his club, into the mix late, and subbed on and did his job. Even understood he had to take a tactical yellow. 

You can never judge a player by that short time on that short notice, and of course I also forgive Theo not scoring on both those, he was very unlucky.

I don't get it. If I recall a lot of people wanted Tesho called in because he was, let's say, scoring lately. So Theo missed 2 great chances It's ok for a MLS journeyman (as you call him) to miss his 3 great chances? Isn't it a strikers job to score? What if we were losing and he missed those chances, would you be still be saying he did his job? Meanwhile you're telling me not to judge a player by that short time on short notice but you are doing exactly the same thing.

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I don't get it. If I recall a lot of people wanted Tesho called in because he was, let's say, scoring lately. So Theo missed 2 great chances It's ok for a MLS journeyman (as you call him) to miss his 3 great chances? Isn't it a strikers job to score? What if we were losing and he missed those chances, would you be still be saying he did his job? Meanwhile you're telling me not to judge a player by that short time on short notice but you are doing exactly the same thing.

What chances did Theo miss anyway ? The one chance was an offside that Tesho was a bit too late on with the slip pass. I don’t recall him having another chance…he did set up Tesho and that great chance in the last few minutes though.

Its the bit about not learning anything that strikes me as disingenuous.  I think Herdman and the coaches are clearly learning plenty about the opponents, what tactics work in what situation, the formations we are trying out, who fits best where and what combos of mids work better together, who has better chemistry etc against which kind of opponent, defensive pairings..... ad nauseum.  Even if you give UT a gimme, and say no one cares (players, coaches ,fans, world in general) about our championship, getting together and taking 3+ weeks, a 4-5 game run though with most of the squad when we have played so little in the last 2 years is definitely worth it.  You can see the team bonds getting stronger and stronger the more the core of this group plays together.  At the bare minimum Herdman learned that Crepeau is ready for #1 spot if called on,  

9 hours ago, AvroArrow said:

Totally agree.  We should get someone who calls the game with a proper European mindset who knows their place as a play by play caller.  Someone like this (see below).  We don't need memorable calls, just the facts.

Still less annoying. It's okay to be a homer during goals. That's when excitement comes through. But Wheeler literally pretends he's the referee the entire game. He shits on calls. He is so arrogant and annoying. 

As a Wolves fan... I'm okay with homerism like this. But you can see the tone of voice he has during the rest of the game. Wheeler is literally screaming into his mic that Canada is the greatest the entire game, the players are the best in the world, and they almost never do wrong! 

6 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

but he hasn't shown he is a premier league player now has he? If we are starting youth players based on promise and potential in matches against the likes of Mexico then the program is not going in the right direction. The first thing Theo must do to get starter minutes is to first permanently graduate from youth football into a senior team, whether at Wolves or somewhere else on loan. As it stands Buchanan is clear, the fact he plays in MLS is irrelevant here, it's obvious Buchanan is on a whole other level. And no, just being Wolves fan and watching him play a lot is not the same as being a trained professional in the coaching staff and seeing the nuances where he needs to improve first hand.

So no, you don't start a youth player against a senior Mexican team. Right now with sub minutes he is getting a taste of the level the competition is at, and is not being left hung to dry. Theo is only 18, he has all the time in the world, but right now he doesn't displace anyone in the squad.

Well I mean... he's already played in the Premier League and been on a Premier League bench for half a season... which is far better than 99% of Canadian soccer players in our history. 

Buchanan is far from on another level. You'll see.

PS. that's no shot at Tajon who is fantastic. 

PPS. This isn't even Tajon vs Theo. It's Tesho vs. Theo... and Theo is already a better player. Fact.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

That is fallacious thinking.  The fact that we placed more importance on a series of absolutely crucial WCQ matches doesn’t make the Gold Cup unimportant.   No one has argued that the GC is on equal footing.  If that is the point you are debating against, enjoy battling with that straw man.  

You said that the GC is not important. That is false.  It is important to us and to the region.  

Agreed. Winning trophies is huge and even getting to semis is huge.  I think our expectations have been so low for so long, getting a result here has been off our radar.  Similarly getting to the Octo/hex has been such a long wait that it has also taken some precedence for us, like we can’t relish both for what they are.  Not to mention how hard it is to get player commitments  

no longer. 

33 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Agreed. Winning trophies is huge and even getting to semis is huge.  I think our expectations have been so low for so long, getting a result here has been off our radar.  Similarly getting to the Octo/hex has been such a long wait that it has also taken some precedence for us, like we can’t relish both for what they are.  Not to mention how hard it is to get player commitments  

no longer. 

Well that’s just it for too. Clearly the gold cup matters to these on the fence guys and it has to if we want to win them over. Otherwise what’s the point in playing for Canada? It’s clear from our players that this means a ton to them and that’s all that matters at the end of the day. Guys like Eustaquio and Corbeanu had other options and are in the middle of big offseason but are here playing their hearts out.