GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

...They should get the British guy that has been doing the women’s games during the Olympics... 

Alf de Blasis has been the better option with CanPL games of late. Beyond that only so many hours in the day so I've been tuning out this tournament to a large extent. Pleasantly surprised to see a semi-final appearance as the minimum outcome with what is arguably approaching a B team.

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

For what its worth we will be going up against Mexico without Davies, David, Hutchinson, Kennedy, Arfield, Larin, Akinola, Borjan, Millar, James, Adekugbe, Vitoria and Cavallini, most of whom will feature in WCQ.  That is why this tournament is/was so important.

It either takes the pressure off some of the guys above knowing they don't have to do everything themselves; or puts some pressure on.  Hey some of these guys are gonna be some competition for my spot.

Absolutely, but I'd argue even more important was giving the remaining core the confidence that they can do it without those stars. We are threatening without needing Phonzie on the ball at every opportunity.

7 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

For what its worth we will be going up against Mexico without Davies, David, Hutchinson, Kennedy, Arfield, Larin, Akinola, Borjan, Millar, James, Adekugbe, Vitoria and Cavallini, most of whom will feature in WCQ.  That is why this tournament is/was so important.

It either takes the pressure off some of the guys above knowing they don't have to do everything themselves; or puts some pressure on.  Hey some of these guys are gonna be some competition for my spot.

Personally the wild thing is that, while I don't expect to win the game, I won't be shocked if we do, or at the very least, push Mexico without any of those guys. I'm sure the current group of players also wants to prove they can get the job done, so I don't expect them to get played out the park... there's a quiet confidence there that wasn't present even 2 years ago. Not only that, this Mexico team looks vulnerable, and I have a feeling Canada will be the first side on this tournament to bring those vulnerabilities to light.

Canada beats Costa Rica 2-0 last night and honestly it was a great game all around. But now that the guys have won and we are in the semis, this was the realistic target always. Canada faces Mexico in the semis and can we beat Mexico realistically? We could but then again Mexico the way they have been playing in this Gold Cup, yeah they have been less than impressive but they still find ways to win and get the job done regardless. 

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I more look forward to the inevitable Tomori 2.0 discussions if we start to rack up a few wins in the Ocho.  

I've been thinking the same, keep checking in on him for Milan (played a friendly this weekend). 

Considering he was not even in the mix for a team that just missed winning the EuroCup, you'd have to think he has been pushed down their pecking order. And they really did not have major problems at the back, so it is not like they were missing CB fortitude. More they were lacking a bit of creativity up high, they are very predictable despite having the pieces (laughable the transfer ManCity want to pay for Kane, really). 

That said, our "weak defense" does not seem to be that weak anymore. Even with a player like Miller who IMO was our worst yesterday (and he was not terrible, but tended to play himself into dead ends too often) he was not as bad as vs Haiti but after his good show vs. the US, I go back to thinking we should not have a player like this starting for us. 

In any case, we do not have any cause for the backline to be cocky, none of them have a good pedigree unlike many attackers, but we are perhaps not as exposed as we thought. But with a Tomori we are at another level altogether, we are starting to really fly. 

I'd also take Kennedy transfering to a B1 team before the transfer deadline.

We can't afford to get cocky especially against Mexico because until we can beat countries like Mexico, then we have no room or no real right to be either.

USA vs Qatar is the game I'm really interested in seeing because I honestly want to see Qatar beat the USA and go to the Final 

Got to finally watch it back. 

- A better start which was huge.

- Eustaquio is a game changer in the most simple and efficient ways. 

- Pleased with Miller growing into the three, Vitoria is a tough miss as he is always an aerial presence at both ends.

- So pleased for Junior, skill is still there obviously and so much help managing a game. 

- Buchanan still voted mostly likely to make things happen.  Runs off him and/or his decisions in picking the last pass could improve slightly. 

- Everybody else did their job 95% of the time. 

- Yellows are tough.  Some silly. Tempted to do a Arnautovic/Michail Antonio and make Corbeanu a centre forward and run at Mexico all game. 

- Nothing to lose at this point and all pressure on them next match.   Rolled on early early Saturday morning.  

5 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I can't complain too much considering the amazing result. But how is Corbeanu not getting more minutes? Things ALWAYS happen when he gets on the pitch. 

When I watch Akindele (who also came on with tired defenders) I just don’t see it… I feel he may get one point blank chance and miss (oh wait, he did just that).  

19 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

When I watch Akindele (who also came on with tired defenders) I just don’t see it… I feel he may get one point blank chance and miss (oh wait, he did just that).  

He reminds me of Ricketts, somehow finds ways to miss great chances (like the one in the 95th minute last night).

29 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

9 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

He reminds me of Ricketts, somehow finds ways to miss great chances (like the one in the 95th minute last night).

He actually missed 3 great chances. I would like to see Theo start on Thursday.

17 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

He actually missed 3 great chances. I would like to see Theo start on Thursday.

Because Theo only missed 2 great chances in even less time on the pitch?

I don't get it. We are talking about Tesho, who has never been a major scorer, he's an MLS journeyman. And he came in from his club, into the mix late, and subbed on and did his job. Even understood he had to take a tactical yellow. 

You can never judge a player by that short time on that short notice, and of course I also forgive Theo not scoring on both those, he was very unlucky.

55 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Exactly, so that is a lame excuse about Corbeanu... because he doesn't miss his chances and he also creates them as well! 

I'm not going to chirp Tesho though. I thought he played decently. Came close to scoring. 

This is more a general though on Theo. He's been great in our colours... and he's being pushed to the backburner, and I don't get it. We have a legit Premier League talent and he's being benched constantly.

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

USA vs Qatar is the game I'm really interested in seeing because I honestly want to see Qatar beat the USA and go to the Final 

Pretty conflicted here. Don't want Qatar to go to the final cause it's embarassing for a guest (regardless of prior accomplishments) to make the final of some other confederation's championship and god forbid win it "Qatar Champions of CONCACAF". 

Also want the US out in the semis cause F em. What's a hater to do?

10 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Pretty conflicted here. Don't want Qatar to go to the final cause it's embarassing for a guest (regardless of prior accomplishments) to make the final of some other confederation's championship and god forbid win it "Qatar Champions of CONCACAF". 

Also want the US out in the semis cause F em. What's a hater to do?

For me I want to see Qatar in the Final because mainly it would show everyone that Qatar are a team to watch out for especially in 2022 when they host the FIFA World Cup