GC: Canada vs Costa Rica - Sunday, July 25th, 7pm Eastern / 4pm Pacific - Arlington TX

What a fantastic performance. Dominant and convincing. If you didn't know the current rankings in the region and you just knew one of the teams was 4th and the other was 7th, you'd be shocked to see who was in what spot, based on this match anyway.

I didn't think I could love Eustaquio more than I did already. I'm so glad we have him.

We've just defeated a traditional CONCACAF power (in style, without some very key players) in the elimination round of a tournament. It's exactly what we needed in the lead up to the Octagonal.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Zero shots on goal. We were in full control. This bodes very well for the Ocho.

On to Mexico. We're playing with house money now as far as I am concerned.

We were dominant. So much so that it was almost predictable at times. If the tables were turned and we were Costa Rica I can’t imagine how furious I’d be ... not even close to threatening a team like Canada. Never mind the fact we were missing our best players. This is a major wake up call. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

For what its worth we will be going up against Mexico without Davies, David, Hutchinson, Kennedy, Arfield, Larin, Akinola, Borjan, Millar, James, Adekugbe, Vitoria and Cavallini, most of whom will feature in WCQ.  That is why this tournament is/was so important.

It either takes the pressure off some of the guys above knowing they don't have to do everything themselves; or puts some pressure on.  Hey some of these guys are gonna be some competition for my spot.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

19 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

For what its worth we will be going up against Mexico without Davies, David, Hutchinson, Kennedy, Arfield, Larin, Akinola, Borjan, Millar, James, Adekugbe, Vitoria and Cavallini, most of whom will feature in WCQ.  That is why this tournament is/was so important.

It either takes the pressure off some of the guys above knowing they don't have to do everything themselves; or puts some pressure on.  Hey some of these guys are gonna be some competition for my spot.

We are playing with house money for this one.

Heading into the final WCQ matches of the last round, we were all wondering who would step up and boss the midfield for us in the absence of Hutch and Arfield.  Eustaquio was excellent, as was Kaye, but what we've seen these past few games of the Gold Cup from Eustaquio is another level entirely.  

I know that Dunfield claimed that Oso was the quarterback of this team, and I was thinking that could be true if we said he was the quarterback of our offense, because in truth Eustaquio was the quarterback of the entire team. And then I remembered that Stephen set up the first goal and scored the second. So, he's pretty much just the quarterback of everything.

1 minute ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Heading into the final WCQ matches of the last round, we were all wondering who would step up and boss the midfield for us in the absence of Hutch and Arfield.  Eustaquio was excellent, as was Kaye, but what we've seen these past few games of the Gold Cup from Eustaquio is another level entirely.  

I know that Dunfield claimed that Oso was the quarterback of this team, and I was thinking that could be true if we said he was the quarterback of our offense, because in truth Eustaquio was the quarterback of the entire team. And then I remembered that Stephen set up the first goal and scored the second. So, he's pretty much just the quarterback of everything.

He is clearly the key man for that midfield.

I'm loving the player all around and I think he might also get a step up if he wants it from a club perspective but im just wondering... is Mr Lahey a proper knick name for Richie Laryea or should we let it breathe a bit? I'm sorry its all i think of everytime I hear his name

But on a serious note, the kid does everything out there

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

For me, Osorio is clearly a complementary player.  I love the guy, but every time  I see him on the pitch, I am reminded how much we need Arfield.

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm loving the player all around and I think he might also get a step up if he wants it from a club perspective but im just wondering... is Mr Lahey a proper knick name for Richie Laryea or should we let it breathe a bit? I'm sorry its all i think of everytime I hear his name

I'm trying to figure out who Randy would be?  

3 minutes ago, Metro said:

For me, Osorio is clearly a complementary player.  I love the guy, but every time  I see him on the pitch, I am reminded how much we need Arfield.

100% - I was saying during the game this current squad on paper (playing tonight) isn’t much different than teams that went out goalless at past gold cups. The difference is, first and foremost, Herdman and second, a midfield orchestrator like Eustaquio. 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Randy Lahey? 

I already posted this but just want to reiterate: this was incredible.

For those of us that have followed this team for the past 20 years it’s unheard of. We just dominated a top CONCACAF team. We didn’t just squeak by .. we dominated. Maybe it was the lack of expectation/pressure... but this was wild. Enjoy - maybe it will happen more but it sure as hell hasn’t happened in a long time. 

The only issue I had with the game was WHEELER. I am all for excited play by play but that clown is too much and his bias is so overwhelming and over the top, it’s just getting stupid. Wheeler has to GO! Can we start something and push him out. They should get the British guy that has been doing the women’s games during the Olympics. Get someone. Dunfield I don’t mind.