Biennial World Cup Proposal

What is your preferred frequency for the World Cup?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preferred frequency for the World Cup?

• Every 2 years
    • Every 4 years

It equates to the exact same amount of games as before.  Right now, 32 teams compete and all get minimum 3 games.  With the new format, 32 teams will still be getting the same minimum 3 games.  However, with the new format it is essentially the additional 16 countries that will only be playing 2 group stage games.  One group stage game is dropped for an additional round of knockout games.

At first I was against the change but I am okay with the changes now.  The World Cup has always continued to grow in participants over the years.  It essentially is allowing 16 new nations opportunities to play in the World Cup.  The core 32 teams are still going to play minimum 3 games, the only change is that there is the 3rd game going forward will be a knockout game.

Let me also clearly state that although I do accept/support the new format for the World Cup going forward, I do not support the proposal to move the tournament to every two years.  It takes away from prestige of the tournament and takes away from continental tournaments which I enjoy.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I rather have the Gold Cup every 4 years, and have 1-2 guests every round for variety

I disagree on the guest point. The continental championship is a chance to grow the confederation, having guests takes spots away from teams that could improve by playing in the tournament. I also hate the idea of a guest winning the tournament, could the answer to "Who are the champions of CONCACAF" be "Qatar"?

Also, despite the recent expansion, there is less reason than ever for needing guest teams to round out the tournament. Mexico and USA are still the class of the confederation. Then you have a bulging 2nd tier made up of Costa Rica, Jamaica, Honduras, Canada, Panama, Haiti, Curacao, and Suriname (? maybe a notch below, jury is still out). Then the 3rd tier of teams that can typically acquit themselves well, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala, and possibly Bermuda, Martinique, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Nicaragua, and Cuba.

I just named 19 teams that I would qualify as at least decent, and there are a couple others that can surprise at times as well. Teams are getting stronger in this region, and I think part of that is due to increased opportunities, with Nations League and an expanded Gold Cup. I don't want to diminish that by giving Trinidad's spot to Qatar, for example.

17 hours ago, Corazon said:

It equates to the exact same amount of games as before.  Right now, 32 teams compete and all get minimum 3 games.  With the new format, 32 teams will still be getting the same minimum 3 games.  However, with the new format it is essentially the additional 16 countries that will only be playing 2 group stage games.  One group stage game is dropped for an additional round of knockout games.

At first I was against the change but I am okay with the changes now.  The World Cup has always continued to grow in participants over the years.  It essentially is allowing 16 new nations opportunities to play in the World Cup.  The core 32 teams are still going to play minimum 3 games, the only change is that there is the 3rd game going forward will be a knockout game.

Let me also clearly state that although I do accept/support the new format for the World Cup going forward, I do not support the proposal to move the tournament to every two years.  It takes away from prestige of the tournament and takes away from continental tournaments which I enjoy.

I’m still not in favour of 3 team groups. Too easy for a group to end up with all the games being a draw or all teams being 1 win and 1 loss. I wouldn’t want multiple teams being sent home by goal difference. 3 games total for a group is too small of sample size for me.

18 hours ago, Corazon said:

Or 2026 for our World Cup in Canada/USA/Mexico it would have been better to do 12 groups of 4 teams; best 2 teams advance in each group along with 8 of the best 3rd place teams which makes up your Round of 32

51 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

On formats, I would prefer a version of the Matchvision pot system.  It solves the problem of final day match collusion (see Germany- Austria '82) and incentivizes teams to play to win every game.  They wouldn't need to play games simultaneously on the final matchday.

Wow, this makes a lot of sense, much like the qualifying of CONCACAF Nation's league, I loved that quirky competition.

11 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

On formats, I would prefer a version of the Matchvision pot system.  It solves the problem of final day match collusion (see Germany- Austria '82) and incentivizes teams to play to win every game.  They wouldn't need to play games simultaneously on the final matchday.

Hell even this would work too for 2026 and beyond but it is like Infantino and the FIFA congress don't even take it into consideration

15 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

This would be a perfect idea if they ever wanted to try a truly “global” World Cup competition, where every country was entered into a first round (something that I think would be a great idea for 2030 to mark the 100th anniversary).

On 5/28/2021 at 11:15 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Or 2026 for our World Cup in Canada/USA/Mexico it would have been better to do 12 groups of 4 teams; best 2 teams advance in each group along with 8 of the best 3rd place teams which makes up your Round of 32

I’ve always hated the “best __ 2nd/3rd placed team” format.  It gives an additional advantage to teams that already had an advantage for being drawn into a weaker group.  Like at the Euro, a team could get in the knockout round by winning 1 game against the minnow qualifier, while other teams who get 2 ties in a group of death would not make it.

Edited by TOcanadafan

• 1 month later...

More details.  There would only be one FIFA window in October when all qualifying would take place with a maximum of 7 games.  FIFA match dates over a 4 year period slashed from 50 to 28.  Guaranteed rest periods between the end of tournaments and the following season.  Would begin after the 2026 World Cup with continental championships in 2027 and World Cup in 2028.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.football.london/premier-league/arsene-wenger-fifa-arsenal-chelsea-20972230.amp

Not mentioned in the article but would certainly eliminate Nations League and friendlies aside from tournament warmup games.  

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

25 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

More details.  There would only be one FIFA window in October when all qualifying would take place. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.football.london/premier-league/arsene-wenger-fifa-arsenal-chelsea-20972230.amp

As a fan of the CMNT I’m all for this… with the increase in CONCACAF births from 2026 onwards we would almost be a shoe in to qualify every 2 years.  Lots of pros and some cons to consider depending on where your nation sits in the pecking order of their confederation.

The WC (and Euros) would definitely lose its lustre a bit.  Lots of logistical and economic decisions to be considered with the increased amount of hosting duties too.

3 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

As a fan of the CMNT I’m all for this… with the increase in CONCACAF births from 2026 onwards we would almost be a shoe in to qualify every 2 years.  Lots of pros and some cons to consider depending on where your nation sits in the pecking order of their confederation.

The WC (and Euros) would definitely lose its lustre a bit.  Lots of logistical and economic decisions to be considered with the increased amount of hosting duties too.

I feel 3 years would be the appropriate compromise.  I do feel 4 years is too long but few agree with me on that.

• 2 weeks later...

FIFA’s study into this idea will be a short meeting: “If we hold the event twice as often, we’ll be able to pocket twice as much money.  Now who can we hire to spin the idea that it’s good for the fans and the players and football in general?”

Now I’m not against looking at increasing the frequency (previously stated that I think every 3 years would be something to consider), but the problem is that you just can’t trust the crooks of FIFA to do what’s in the best interest of all stakeholders.

Assuming the ESL mega minds are behind pushing this too and fingers all over the pie. More international games cranking up the pressure so a lessened season of games in a super league is "in the best interests of the players" but of course more world class quality football with the best players for the fans to enjoy, out top priority the fans.

On 5/22/2021 at 1:13 AM, Watchmen said:

Time (and money) heals all wounds.  The CONMEBOL reps will be in the US for the World Cup.  Wouldn't be shocked to see CONCACAF support the Argentina/Uruguay/Paraguay World Cup bid.  The joint-confederation agreement didn't move forward because of squabbles over control between CONCACAF (with more member nations) and CONMEBOL (with a much higher quality of member).  Even then, another joint tournament probably could have happened if the US hadn't ridiculously tried to host it a 2nd time.  Ultimately, I think it makes the most sense for both confederations, and they'll get there....eventually.  

There are so many problems here in South America, especially with football. Football is corrupt and poorly organized. Anyone who knows how the Copa America is mishandled (I have been to several, all terrible fiascos in terms of match organization and all associated with them) laughs at the idea of a 2030 World Cup here. I agree that conmembol does not want its baby Copa America touched by probing jurisdictions. 2030 going to either Spain/Portugal or Britain/Ireland. Poor Ireland has to deal with a clumsy Britain, so if I were a betting man, I would say the Iberica peninsula.

30 minutes ago, beachesl said:

There are so many problems here in South America, especially with football. Football is corrupt and poorly organized. Anyone who knows how the Copa America is mishandled (I have been to several, all terrible fiascos in terms of match organization and all associated with them) laughs at the idea of a 2030 World Cup here. I agree that conmembol does not want its baby Copa America touched by probing jurisdictions. 2030 going to either Spain/Portugal or Britain/Ireland. Poor Ireland has to deal with a clumsy Britain, so if I were a betting man, I would say the Iberica peninsula.

I would also bet on an Australian WC as soon as AFC nations become eligible again.

• 3 weeks later...