Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

It's a common sentiment though. We hope our dual nationals are only sorta good so they default down to us, and I think that's a bad way of looking at it, because if Jebbison maxes out as a good Belgian striker or whatever, that's not even good enough for us. If he wants to play for England, he's going to have to become one of the best strikers in the world over the next few years which I'm not sure will be the case, but there's absolutely a scenario in which he is a premier league level player who understands the opportunity to play for Canada is better for him than England. He can look to one of his future NT teammates- Junior Hoilett or Fikayo Tomori depending on which way he goes for additional proof of this.

I'm guilty of making that joke in LdF's thread too, but was just kidding around.  

Totally agree with your take on Hoilett vs Tomori, and there are other examples we can throw in too.  However, generally speaking, I feel one of the fundamental character traits pro athletes lack is underestimating their potential.  They've been beating the odds their whole short lives and can often be very naïve and over confident.  Hence gambling on the tougher nation, until maturity and reality kick in as in Vitoria and Hoilett's case.

We need to remember this is not a completely English kid who has Canadian connections. 

He was born in Oakville. He was with ANB Futbol a little over 6 years ago. (Which his accent reflects, much to the chagrin of die-hard English football fans).

Makes sense, whether we like it or not, to go to the u20 World Cup and try for the u21s with England but the ties to Canada are not distant or tenuous.

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We need to remember this is not a completely English kid who has Canadian connections. 

He was born in Oakville. He was with ANB Futbol a little over 6 years ago. (Which his accent reflects, much to the chagrin of die-hard English football fans).

Makes sense, whether we like it or not, to go to the u20 World Cup and try for the u21s with England but the ties to Canada are not distant or tenuous.

They aren't but I think his decision has to come sooner rather than later. The kids is more Canadian than anything, and while for me it was understandable for Hoilett to do it 10 years ago. I definitely don't have the same leeway for Jebbsisson just because the program (outside of the money) has a lot more to offer today. 

We can say we are building fro 2026, but it literally starts now with 2024 being a massive prep tournament.

To add...I don't want to follow any of these fence-sitters/playing both sides guys anymore. I could care less if he's in the squad, or gets a move. I refused to pay any sort of interest only to get spurned. 

The saying goes "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
...well from a CMNT fan perspective, it's going on fool me 10 times, and I'm no longer interested in being a fool. So someone please @me when he commits to the program, if not I'm ignoring this along with the rest of them.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

His Father is in the Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame and the Manitoba Basketball HOF.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

To add...I don't want to follow any of these fence-sitters/playing both sides guys anymore. I could care less if he's in the squad, or gets a move. I refused to pay any sort of interest only to get spurned. 

The saying goes "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"
...well from a CMNT fan perspective, it's going on fool me 10 times, and I'm no longer interested in being a fool. So someone please @me when he commits to the program, if not I'm ignoring this along with the rest of them.

See ya on the next page :P

I'd like to see Daniel move out of England completely.  Go to a smaller European league where he's going to play 90 minutes weekly and build some consistent form.  Almost like Ricardo Pepi who went to Groningen after his tough spell at Augsburg.  A league where he can reasonably score ~ 15 goals and use it as leverage to get back to a bigger club.

I imagine though leaving Sheffield on a permanent is difficult given their valuation of him is still somewhat tied to his brief breakout in 2021.

Just now, Footyeh said:

I'd like to see Daniel move out of England completely.  Go to a smaller European league where he's going to play 90 minutes weekly and build some consistent form.  Almost like Ricardo Pepi who went to Groningen after his tough spell at Augsburg.  A league where he can reasonably score ~ 15 goals and use it as leverage to get back to a bigger club.

I imagine though leaving Sheffield on a permanent is difficult given their valuation of him is still somewhat tied to his brief breakout in 2021.

Let’s see what happens when he is back from injury.  It seems he has a good chance this year to establish himself.  The Guardian article called him the player to watch this season on Sheffield.  If he is still sitting on the bench at Xmas, I agree with you.

32 minutes ago, An Observer said:

Let’s see what happens when he is back from injury.  It seems he has a good chance this year to establish himself.  The Guardian article called him the player to watch this season on Sheffield.  If he is still sitting on the bench at Xmas, I agree with you.

He was in Sheffield United's press stuff (kit launch etc.)  before the season.  I think they were at least planning on giving him a go.  The manager talked about being toothless up front (maybe not in those words) before this game.  I am cautiously optimistic that he will at least get a chance.  Worst time for the injury though. 

5 hours ago, scullion44 said:

Flashscore has changed his flag to Canada, do they know something we don’t 😂

Maybe. 

I have a neighbor who is from Sheffield, he is in his 60's and is a united lifer.

He claims that Jebbo commited to Canada. He supposedly said something in one of the Sheffield newspapers a few weeks ago I tried to find this article but no go. So idno. 

I think he'll struggle for opportunities.  The Premier League is cut throat, Sheffield is just trying to secure their spot for another season in the league.  There's no time to giving big minutes to a Young Striker who in all honesty, doesn't have a great strike rate.

1 hour ago, Atlantic said:

Recalling him from Burton Albion a couple of seasons ago really messed things up for him. 0.35 goals per game over an entire League One season would've left him with a decent tally for a teenager and something to build off of the following season. 

Being coached by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink was a definite plus for him there.  

On 8/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The estimates I have seen say early September for a return.

Well, good thing Canada isn't playing any games in September then!  ;)

---

He's not going to get called to the senior England team any time soon.

He has to chose between England U21 football

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2025_UEFA_European_Under-21_Championship_qualification_Group_F

Or trying to get into the senior #CanMNT lineup for the Copa America 2024 &/or the 2025 Gold Cup.

The logical thing to do is either to file your switch now or wait until 2025.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not great news for Jebbison personally.  I really like Archer.  

Cameron can play as a second striker or winger so they may be intending to use him in a different spot.  If they primarily want to use Archer as a CF then he's another guy DJ is in a battle with for that third spot.  With Osula, Traore, and Marsh there's so much competition. This is a team that's piling up young assets they can appreciate and sell. Not a fan of DJ's team situation especially considering how they pulled him from Burton Albion. He was thriving and improving and it would have been best for his development to stay, but they pulled him and that decision wasn't made for his best interest IMO. 

1 hour ago, RojitoTO said:

Cameron can play as a second striker or winger so they may be intending to use him in a different spot.  If they primarily want to use Archer as a CF then he's another guy DJ is in a battle with for that third spot.  With Osula, Traore, and Marsh there's so much competition. This is a team that's piling up young assets they can appreciate and sell. Not a fan of DJ's team situation especially considering how they pulled him from Burton Albion. He was thriving and improving and it would have been best for his development to stay, but they pulled him and that decision wasn't made for his best interest IMO. 

I think I see what you are saying.  Behind McBurnie and Brewster, if he every has an injury free stretch? 

Here's hoping for loans, for a few of them I guess. 

I just think Heckingbottom needs to talk to someone about his striker fetish problem.   Despite playing 352 mostly, he has a lot. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Jebbison is NOT in the England U21 squad named this morning.

https://www.englandfootball.com/articles/2023/Sep/01/england-mu21s-squad-named-to-play-luxembourg-20230901

He has missed games recently, so I won't read too much into this either way.

Anybody know the strikers in the group well enough to see where he ranks in a hypothetical depth chart?

Edit:

He is out sick longer term?!? 😫 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-transfer-james-mcatee-27630892

"and Daniel Jebbison (19) is out for a length of time with an illness."

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He is out sick longer term?!? 😫 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-united-transfer-james-mcatee-27630892

"and Daniel Jebbison (19) is out for a length of time with an illness."

Not sure, this from the manager a few days ago

"He's out with an illness. He has a health issue so he'll be out for a bit. He's not doing anything at the minute."