Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

24 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think it is only really an issue for us nerds.  For most people the end result is what matters - who ultimately suits up for Canada.  And if calling promising duals into camps or non-playing friendlies is an important element in that ongoing recruitment drive then it is a necessary part of the machine - even if the invitees are ultimately a flight risk.  The percentage of people who actually get worked up about it is insignificant to the process.  

Trust me, I'm hearing you.
But based on this method, where/when has it worked for us.

I feel like the recent duals acquired have always come as a surprise. But if there was "noise" before who knows what would have happened. 

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

I feel like the recent duals acquired have always come as a surprise. But if there was "noise" before who knows what would have happened. 

To flip the scenario on its head, do you think a guy like Koleosho is more or less likely to commit to playing for us if he has never been to a camp and hasn’t had a chance for an extended interaction with the coaches and players?  For me, the invitations into camps are a small benefit and just one tool in the toolbox.  And it is really only an issue for guys that we are really trying to lure into the squad while fighting tidal forces pulling them elsewhere.  These guys are low percentage hail Mary shots anyway so I don’t really see a downside.  

Is Koleosho going to play for Canada?  I am quite certain he won’t.  But, specific camp shenanigans aside, does it generally improve out minuscule chances of success by getting him to attend a camp and really turning on the charm?  I can’t see how it can’t at least help.   

33 minutes ago, Shway said:

Off the top of my head, the only 2 players I can think of that played youth for another country and then chose Canada are both Portuguese 

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2023 at 12:58 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

A take from a Blades supporter site.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/news/sheffield-united-open-talks-with-fantastic-squad-player-but-no-progress-as-yet/

Nothing really new but seems to confirm illness and says contract talks have been opened but there is no progress yet.

He is now listed in n FotMob as out until mid-December but this timeline has been moved back a few times now.  Originally I think it was a groin injury but either it was way more complicated than suspected or something else is going on.  I was really hoping he would be back and fighting for minutes by now.   

• 2 weeks later...

Got me curious and I found this:

“It’s looking okay in terms of a few coming back [from injury], Rhian Brewster and Rhys Norrington-Davies have trained today and Daniel Jebbison isn’t a million miles away.”

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/articles/watch_chris_wilders_six_man_sheffield_united_update_for_opening_liverpool_clash/s1_15959_39631945

While "isn’t a million miles away” is not the sort of super optimistic comment I would hope for, it may mean he is on the mend. 

Then again I also found this:

"Daniel Jebbison is yet to make an appearance for the Blades in the Premier League season. At first a groin issue kept him out, but is now also believed to be general health issue.  The Canadian striker is therefore out for the clash."

https://www.daveockop.com/latest-news/sheffield-united-injury-news-ahead-of-clash-with-liverpool/

There are obviously a couple of notable elements in that last quote.  

Since they played Liverpool, I watched Sheff U for 90 minutes for the first time this season. On the evidence of what I saw, I suspect that Brewster and Jebbison will both fancy their chances of starts once they're fit. The owner has no money to spend on transfers, so it's not like they'll be loading up in January, either.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/news/sheffield-united-open-talks-with-fantastic-squad-player-but-no-progress-as-yet/

This article (may have been posted already) is somewhat dated (not sure when) but it's clearly after the general health issue surfaced. Why I bring it up is because it talks of the club being keen to extend him - so clearly whatever the health issue is it's nothing that would seemingly worry the Blades enough to not keep him around. That's good news and means we could hopefully see him sometime in the New Year.

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/news/daniel-jebbison-sale-makes-sense-in-january-with-emergence-of-teenage-powerhouse/

This one (again sorry if shared already) is from right before the international break and talks about Jebbison doing some kind of gym work. So again, that puts my fears to bed that he has some serious health situation that is threatening his football career. 

That's good news. It gives me hope that a new coach may come in and call Jebbison for March.