Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Nothing about his game says wide player to me. Jebbison is in a 3-horse race with David and Larin for the next cycle, maybe 2 depending on how long Larin players. You could theoretically play David as a CAM with a Jebbo-Larin duo, but that's 3 guys wanting the ball at their feet and nobody inclined to make runs behind. So I would say in this scenario where Jebbo goes to a Juve or Dortmund and starts forcing his way in, it should just be an open competition at that point. I don't think we should force 3 of them on the field at once for the sake of it. 

100% I think larins the most likely candidate to be dropped. I think at most, you want 2 of them on. Either david at cam with 1 striker. Larin playing awkwardly out wide with 1 striker or a combination of 2 strikers. How much does Jebbo get involved in the build up. Is he like larin who wants it to feet but will hold off a defender or more like david who will try and dictate play a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

100% I think larins the most likely candidate to be dropped. I think at most, you want 2 of them on. Either david at cam with 1 striker. Larin playing awkwardly out wide with 1 striker or a combination of 2 strikers. How much does Jebbo get involved in the build up. Is he like larin who wants it to feet but will hold off a defender or more like david who will try and dictate play a bit. 

I am far from the Jebbo expert around here, so someone may know better, but from the limited times I have seen him play, he's a tall lanky CF who checks back to the ball, tries to hold it up, then dishes it off. He's not going to manipulate space with his intelligence like David, then look to turn provider. I don't think he has that in his locker, but he's also 20 years old, who knows what he can turn into, especially at a club like Dortmund. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am far from the Jebbo expert around here, so someone may know better, but from the limited times I have seen him play, he's a tall lanky CF who checks back to the ball, tries to hold it up, then dishes it off. He's not going to manipulate space with his intelligence like David, then look to turn provider. I don't think he has that in his locker, but he's also 20 years old, who knows what he can turn into, especially at a club like Dortmund. 

He does creates chances for himself by working hard and closing down keepers and defenders.  At lower levels (either youth and on loan) I can think of a number of goals he scored off plays like that. 

Maybe that speed doesn't translate to Championship level and above, at least in England.

On reason he might be getting looks abroad despite not playing a lot is glut of strikers Sheffield United have had over the last couple years.

Ndiaye has come along leaps and bounds, McBurnie was still scoring in double figures, they payed a lot for Brewster from Liverpool a bit ago and so played him some when healthy, Billy Sharp was the club captain I believe and still got minutes.

Even with 2 strikers, that's not a lot of minutes to go round.  Another striker about Jebbison's age went on loan to League 1 as well.

I haven't heard a massive amount from them in the transfer rumours yet.  Jebbison is one of their top stories, which is strange.

"fantastic" striker??? That's a bit of a stretch. I'm sure his size is appealing as a #9, but let's wait to see if this noise really develops into something tangible. Rhian Brewster who was with Liverpool (now at Sheffield) starred for England's youth teams, did really well during a Championship loan but hasn't progressed since then.  Jebbo is not with the U21s which is an indication of where his level is with England.

Up the thread, a couple of us did a list of who is ahead of him for England and it is massive.  (I did say the same about Tomori, to be fair.)

I knew he was in final year of his deal but further reading tells me Sheffield United has ownership issues and he is one the least important (from their perspective) of their players in that situation. Ndiaye and Sander Berge probably top the list but it looks like probably 1/2 the squad.

They had a transfer embargo earlier this year.  But keeping a lot of their players who actually played would seem like their first priority. 

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think the idea of him committing any time soon is just people blowing smoke.

I think he will end up with his but he’s going to play for England for as long as he can with the youth so that he can get exposure and opportunities.

What's left, the Olympic team? He is still U21 eligible, but are there any more games in their calendar for him?

10 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I think the idea of him committing any time soon is just people blowing smoke.

I think he will end up with his but he’s going to play for England for as long as he can with the youth so that he can get exposure and opportunities.

He's already played extensively with the England youth teams.  Good clubs are already following him. I feel this argument is starting to lose water

13 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What's left, the Olympic team? He is still U21 eligible, but are there any more games in their calendar for him?

That's what I was thinking recently, that he would hold out till his U23 eligibility runs out. But then I remembered that England can't field an Olympic team because there is no UK team (other than 2012 olympics).

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Someone should send this to Jebbo

Personally I don't have an issue with him playing as much England Youth team as possible, however, if he wants to play in 2026, I'd hope he commits by Copa America at the latest

Yeah and then Jebbo will discover that he has an American great-grandmother and we will all shit ourselves with worry.  

2 hours ago, phresh said:

He's already played extensively with the England youth teams.  Good clubs are already following him. I feel this argument is starting to lose water

This. Scouts are not oblivious to Canada. Not with the transfers over the past 2/3 years and club performances by Cdns. If David & Tajon to name just 2,  get to the EPL/Serie A next season it's just going to increase the interest of other leagues/clubs for young Cdns. It's a good time to wear the shirt.

2 hours ago, maplebanana said:

That's what I was thinking recently, that he would hold out till his U23 eligibility runs out. But then I remembered that England can't field an Olympic team because there is no UK team (other than 2012 olympics).

One thing to notethe cut off for the 2025 U21 Euros is 1 Jan 2002. Jebbison is a 2003, so has eligibility to spare. 

I look at Cameron Archer would who is probably the only out and out striker for England at this year's Euros.  He didn't get called up to that level until a year ago. That was off a decent, not spectacular, half season in the Championship (to be fair he kept his place with a better 2nd half of the season loan this year.)

Jebbison could certainly see himself getting a loan or transfer to a decent level and doing the same.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Ndiaye, who Jebbison started with there is supposed to be off. 

Rumours were he wanted Marseille where he played when young but they have gone with Aubameyang.  But I see Everton are supposedly interested.

Sheffield United's preseason hype stuff has included Jebbison so I hoping they are planning to use him more.