Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

25 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

So, he gets the start against Man City in the FA Cup lol.  Talk about a trial by fire.

Game is on SN by the way.  

Interesting.  They have a decent gap on 3rd with a game in hand and should keep automatic promotion bar a collapse (and aren't catching Burnley).  And have McBurnie and captain Sharpe on the bench who have both played more than him this season. 

Hopefully means they are going for it and he is there because he worked his way into the matchday squad.

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Hopefully means they are going for it and he is there because he worked his way into the matchday squad.

The cynic in me says that is not the case. He has been getting some sub minutes so this seems more like a case of load management for the guys fighting to make sure they keep their promotion spot.  Playing away to a giant like ManC is probably a bridge too far for them.  

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The cynic in me says that is not the case. He has been getting some sub minutes so this seems more like a case of load management for the guys fighting to make sure they keep their promotion spot.  Playing away to a giant like ManC is probably a bridge too far for them.  

It’s the semi final so it’s at wembley - not that home/away matters given the gap. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s the semi final so it’s at wembley - not that home/away matters given the gap. 

Ah, thanks.   To be honest, I had no idea it was the SF - I didn’t realize SU were that deep in the cup run.   That changes my thinking about it entirely - there is no way a team like that would approach a game like this as an opportunity to rotate in guys. He may have a specific role in this one (e.g. run endlessly and press until you drop) but the only way he is on the field is if his manager things he is the best one for that particular assignment.  The opportunity to win a trophy would be huge to SU - even if it requires two pretty unlikely results to achieve it. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ah, thanks.   To be honest, I had no idea it was the SF - I didn’t realize SU were that deep in the cup run.   That changes my thinking about it entirely - there is no way a team like that would approach a game like this as an opportunity to rotate in guys. He may have a specific role in this one (e.g. run endlessly and press until you drop) but the only way he is on the field is if his manager things he is the best one for that particular assignment.  The opportunity to win a trophy would be huge to SU - even if it requires two pretty unlikely results to achieve it. 

I think you’re right. The best chance is to go to extra time/PKs and with Sharp being long in the tooth they probably want him fresh for when it matters. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

And he just gave up a pk…

Tough…he got a toe to it before taking out Grealish.

I don’t get it. VAR is turning into NBA reffing - always subjective.

Edit: in that instance, the referee should’ve been sent to the camera to rethink his decision.

Edited by Shway

On 4/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Interesting.  They have a decent gap on 3rd with a game in hand and should keep automatic promotion bar a collapse (and aren't catching Burnley).  And have McBurnie and captain Sharpe on the bench who have both played more than him this season. 

Sheffield United "going for it" vs Manchester freakin City?  By playing their bench piece in Jebbison?  Surely you jest.

15 minutes ago, costarg said:

Sheffield United "going for it" vs Manchester freakin City?  By playing their bench piece in Jebbison?  Surely you jest.

Not completely. He performed a specific role quite well.  They looked to pressure and keep it close, then probably hoped bring on their finishers. It was a plan, I think.

Probably should not have been a penalty and in the quality of a very well selected Man City won out.

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not completely. He performed a specific role quite well.  They looked to pressure and keep it close, then probably hoped bring on their finishers. It was a plan, I think.

Probably should not have been a penalty and in the quality of a very well selected Man City won out.

Ya, on second thought, kinda makes sense looking at it like that. 

Game plan was:

1- cause a crazy traffic jam so Man C can't make it to the stadium.

2- tear up the field so the ball won't role.

3- put in the youngest guys to run them into the ground.  

7 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Imagine this puts a potential switch back at least another year.

It may depend if he moves up with them.  If he goes out on loan or gets moved I am not sure it has much bearing on anything.  If anything, a solid indication that he isn’t viewed as an EPL player by the club may help clarify things for him.  And in the absence of some major progress, it doesn’t seem likely that they would graduate him from Championship sub to EPL striker.  

11 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It may depend if he moves up with them.  If he goes out on loan or gets moved I am not sure it has much bearing on anything.  If anything, a solid indication that he isn’t viewed as an EPL player by the club may help clarify things for him.  And in the absence of some major progress, it doesn’t seem likely that they would graduate him from Championship sub to EPL striker.  

I mean perhaps it is an unpopular opinion, but for me Jebbison has been generally underwhelming when given chances. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

I mean perhaps it is an unpopular opinion, but for me Jebbison has been generally underwhelming when given chances. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Agreed.

Look at Kone's impact with Watford and Jebbison's "impact" with Sheffield, it's night and day.

Yes you could argue Jebbison is with the stronger club, but Kone is actually a starter (or at minimum occassional starter) for Watford. Jebbison has multiple game stretches where he's a healthy scratch for the Blades.

A resonable expectation would suggest that Jebbison is destined for a Corbeanu/Millar type of loan next season, somewhere in the lower Championship/Upper League One range. Who knows what will happen, though. He should have been on loan this season, but he wasn't. Maybe they keep him around in the exact same role next season...