Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

On 2/5/2024 at 7:50 AM, Obinna said:

@Unnamed Trialist had a post and I cannot recall what thread but he was pointing out how Oso gets in the latino refs ear in a way that our non Spanish speakers cannot or will not do. It's that kind of thing I think Shway is referring too, not being a translator (I know you are being facetious, but you know what I mean?).

I could be wrong, but I would like to think having a few Latinos on the team will somehow come in handy playing a full team of latinos.

Maybe that's just reductionist thinking on my part though, plus you could argue we are already well versed with playing Latin American teams via CONCACAF. Thoughts?

Given Cavallini’s complete lack of impulse control, him being able to converse with the ref is not something I view as a positive.

9 hours ago, footballfreak said:

Given Cavallini’s complete lack of impulse control, him being able to converse with the ref is not something I view as a positive.

I thought it was a stupid point because all referees can speak English regardless if it's ESL.

And seeing how are team is, they don't fear anybody like we may have seen in the past so trying to justify a call up because they speak "Spanish" was dumb to me. 

VAR kind of eliminated the dark arts, now it's just about collectively backing each other and we have that in the brotherhood.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:13 AM, narduch said:

Feels like they don't want to admit he has Long Covid

Why wouldn't they want to admit that?

It does feel like there's something being held back, so I agree there, but generally there isn't really negative backlash toward people coming out and saying they have long covid, just sympathy for the most part. Maybe it's the fact he's an athlete and so they don't want to tarnish him with that label, but even then his symptoms are what they are, whether you call them long covid or something else...

I believe they are still optimistic he can the beat the symptoms, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about a new contract, so that's good news.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Why wouldn't they want to admit that?

It does feel like there's something being held back, so I agree there, but generally there isn't really negative backlash toward people coming out and saying they have long covid, just sympathy for the most part. Maybe it's the fact he's an athlete and so they don't want to tarnish him with that label, but even then his symptoms are what they are, whether you call them long covid or something else...

I believe they are still optimistic he can the beat the symptoms, otherwise they wouldn't be talking about a new contract, so that's good news.

Maybe something more along the lines of an abnormally longer than usual case of myocarditis?  Like something that could also affect his valuation, so they're remaining tight lipped?  

23 minutes ago, costarg said:

Maybe something more along the lines of an abnormally longer than usual case of myocarditis?  Like something that could also affect his valuation, so they're remaining tight lipped?  

Could be. Reminds me of when Ayo was out for an extended period and (I think) we speculated whether he had something similar.

Also, wasn't there an issue with Jebbison having a blood clot or something like that? Can't recall if that was speculation or verified. Either way, hope to see him get over it and back on the pitch soon. 

For me it is the valuation angle that makes the most sense for the secrecy.  Hell, even the fact that he is potentially being encouraged to sign a new contract could just be a product of the fact that his market value will be low right now given everything that has gone on.  Decent incentive to re-sign him at decent but not silly wages, and then assess him or move him on for decent value if there are suitors.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blood clot confirmed by Sheffield United CEO.  He says he shares that with the player's permission.  Hopefully will see some action by end of the season. Also hopeful of a new contract, now that that has been resolved.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/daniel-jebbison-sheffield-united-contract-latest-as-long-term-absence-explained-4563008

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Blood clot confirmed by Sheffield United CEO.  He says he shares that with the player's permission.  Hopefully will see some action by end of the season. Also hopeful of a new contract, now that that has been resolved.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/daniel-jebbison-sheffield-united-contract-latest-as-long-term-absence-explained-4563008

I am no doctor and I stand to be corrected - but after such a long term absence with a mystery “illness” cited as the cause, this seems like a positive revelation. It is an issue that was found, treated and hopefully resolved.  There are a whole bunch of other long-ish term issues that could have been a lot worse.  

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Good news, but in a way disappointing since Sheffield United will most probably be back in the Championship next year. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

His contract is up at the end of this season. He may want a change of scenery.

"We as a club, he is someone we would love to get him nailed down to a longer term contract and as I say we are having positive discussions with him now. With everything that went on, he wasn't in a place where they wanted him to talk about it until they had figured all of this out."

Didn't play much last year either when they were trying to get promoted

34 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Better for us to land him, but it would be good to see players breaking into the Premier League. 

There is time for that though.  He will get there.  Personally I wouldn’t mind if it is after he suits up for us.  

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

"We as a club, he is someone we would love to get him nailed down to a longer term contract and as I say we are having positive discussions with him now. With everything that went on, he wasn't in a place where they wanted him to talk about it until they had figured all of this out."

I can't see them not going down even if Forest's deduction sticks.  8 points from safety (having played one less game) and a massively inferior goal difference. 

My opinion is he, his club and, really, we are going to have to let him restart in the Championship and see where he is at. 

The striker situation has changed there somewhat since promotion.

N'Diaye infamously left them right before this season and he carried them a lot of that promotion year.

Billy Sharp, club captain is gone.

Brewster has another year of not really being able to stay fit under his belt.

Osula who came up with Jebbsion has got a few chances but has done nothing. 

They bought Cameron Archer who is now injured but showed tiny flashes earlier in the year. 

Brereton Díaz can play upfront and started well - against West Ham - then got injured (but probably wont be there if they go down). 

McBurnie is the constant but it has been shown again: he is not quite a Premier League striker (but probably key in the Championship)

So again lots of strikers, but none that jump out. Wilder is back at least for now and likes his 3 at the back with 2 strikers.  They seem to want him and hopefully he gets some assurances before signing anything. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

4 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

At this point I mean he’s stagnated for 2 years, not sure we should be as hyped for him.

I think England must be thinking this, that he's no longer a blue chip prospect. But Canada shouldn't downplay his sherr potential still imo. 

Just now, Dominic94 said:

At this point I mean he’s stagnated for 2 years, not sure we should be as hyped for him.

He's a talent and has the size and (better) speed of an on-form Larin. 

That said, recent form of other strikers has us less worried about the postion and he has to prove he still has it.  He was caught in some bad (way too many strikers) and unlucky situations at Sheffield United, hopefully they and him have moved beyond them. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He was still playing u20 ball just before the apparent blod clot.

Exactly. I think he's going to earn his way back in the England discussion before too long, tbh. 

21 minutes ago, nolando said:

Exactly. I think he's going to earn his way back in the England discussion before too long, tbh. 

Barely. It's hard to tell when the issues first started. I thought he wasn't getting called when he was available last and before his health issues.

He is almost aged out of u20. U21s have used 12 different forwards over the last year. Who knows who has emerged beneath him in his absence too. I don't see any generational standouts at this point so that stands in his favour. Unless you count Madueke as a striker which he can do.

However Divin Mubama is a year younger and getting minutes for West Ham, Dane Scarlet and Jamie Donley are on the fringes and have seen the field briefly for Spurs, with Will Lankshear behind them. Jayden Danns has appeared for the liverpool first team and is highly rated (just turned 18) Jay Stansfield has 10 goals in 39 appearances for Birmingham this year. Bailey Cadamarteri has scored 3 times in 19 in the championship for a struggling Sheffield weds side and is two years younger than Jebbison.

It does seem he is still regarded as a prospect as he has still been linked to some decent top flight clubs with him out of contract. That could certainly be agent talk too.

The odds of him representing England are far lower than him choosing Canada once he ages out of the youth systems. 

Right now the odds of him representing neither are arguably higher.

He needs consistent fitness -> minutes -> goals and great performances + a shit ton of luck and good fortune with other players not emerging or playing well, for Jebbo to get back in consideration for anything. Basically the same holding pattern of this thread for several years. 

Still believe he will be ours if he is good enough. Our talent pool upfront is just growing it won't be easy.

7 hours ago, blueseeka said:

He may feel some loyalty to a club that has stuck with him through his injury and are expressing a desire to re-sign him. I think any man with honour would.

Edited by johnyb