Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

So Tajon Buchanan’s future club is playing future Canada striker Daniel Jebbison’s club Sheffield, and it got me wondering where Jebbison has been, which led me to this: 

https://x.com/simon18891/status/1736295952523186315?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Amongst Blades fans, there’s a strong belief this is in reference to Jebbison- he’s considering legal action against the team because of a “medical snag” that left him with a blood clot during preseason. That might explain why he hasn’t played at all yet, despite being “very close”. There’s also strong belief he’ll leave Sheffield on a free in 2024.

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

So Tajon Buchanan’s future club is playing future Canada striker Daniel Jebbison’s club Sheffield, and it got me wondering where Jebbison has been, which led me to this: 

https://x.com/simon18891/status/1736295952523186315?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

Amongst Blades fans, there’s a strong belief this is in reference to Jebbison- he’s considering legal action against the team because of a “medical snag” that left him with a blood clot during preseason. That might explain why he hasn’t played at all yet, despite being “very close”. There’s also strong belief he’ll leave Sheffield on a free in 2024.

Would it take that long to dissolve a blood clot? That's really unfortunate if it is Jebbo.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

They just had the death of a women's team player investigated and while it was determined there was no wrong-doing, the trust in the club's medical team can't be high currently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67748023

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Would it take that long to dissolve a blood clot? That's really unfortunate if it is Jebbo.

I don’t think he’s still recovering- I think it’s more that he’s in dispute with the club, considering taking action against them, so they’re obviously not going to dress him. I would assume his case revolves around potential loss of future wages, considering he was one of the most promising young strikers in England, and has now lost a crucial period of development and it will likely be harder for him to get the same contract/transfer in 2024 that he may have gotten if his progress had been more linear since he was a 17 year old premier league goal scorer. 

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

They just had the death of a women's team player investigated and while it was determined there was no wrong-doing, the trust in the club's medical team can't be high currently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67748023

Per expert sources (their fan forum), they have a very small medical team and a number of them seem to come from relatively weaker backgrounds than other premier league teams. No clue how true any of that is, and they are a recent promotion team, so fewer resources, but yeah- you can’t blame the fans for being skeptical of the treatment their players are getting.

I saw him listed as undressed, reason unknown, but did not know this background story. But others are listed not dressed for similar non-reasons.

Sheffield defended very deep vs. Villa, somehow weathered the storm, then started to counter to their credit and Villa seemed to think they needed to win (on that 15-game winning streak at home), and got exposed, 0-1; then Villa got a late deserved draw. Sheffield looked a lot better than a team that's given up 44 goals in 18 games, by far the worst in EPL.

• 3 weeks later...

All great possible destinations but he just needs to get fit and then needs minutes.

It seems almost hard to believe all those clubs are after him when he had a couple of half decent premier league cameos and very brief period of success in a lower league team then a period of getting very sporadic minutes and then injuries the past year and a half. He has those England appearances though.

Good scouting will also see past that to the potential but the skeptic in me says this is more likely agent talk and he re-signs with sheffield united. Either way he has just got to get back to being consistently fit and then getting games.

4 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

I get that big teams invest in potential but this is a lot of transfer speculation for a guy that hasn't done much.

To me is smells of an agent paying someone to drum up interest, payment being  passing on exclusives. I mean, it makes no sense at all. It is too random.

Girona, leading la Liga with Madrid. City Group. Can't see it. Now if you told me there was interest from Troyes, in France, also City Group, okay, but that is not much of a step up.

I agree with Mass that a move would be good for him regardless.

2 minutes ago, masster said:

Good. I hope he leaves England.

I don’t think the English system has done him a disservice. He got some playing time in the Championship as a young striker, stayed with the team during promotion, and then had some terrible luck with an apparent combination of injury and illness that has prevented him from being in the squad for en extended period.  

I am happy to rip a team like NF a new one when they don’t give a quality player a chance, but I don’t think that is the case with Jebbo.  I think he has just had some shitty luck.

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think Bellingham showed that going to a place like Dortmund and succeeding doesn’t keep you off the English radar.  Not sure that is a better (for us) option than getting relegated and getting championship minutes.   

Yeah and this goes doubly for youth team players. 

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I would assume if a player like him is being linked to like 10 different clubs that not every link is concrete or even close to it (or even true), but it’s interesting that they don’t mention a single premier league club.  

Is it though?  Richie is a Canadian international who started 2 of our 3 games at the World Cup and didn't look out of place at that level.  Yet many here have written him off as not having any chance of making the NF premier league squad even as a bench player.  Jebbo's most recent and relevant experience is largely as a sub at the Championship level.  I know people often place emphasis on youth players, but there isn't much to suggest that Jebbo could make the leap to another EPL team - even if just to be loaned out.  Despite the links (which don't carry much weight until there is more substance to them) he may not be the kind of "can't miss" youth prospect that an EPL teams wants to invest in.     

56 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Is it though?  Richie is a Canadian international who started 2 of our 3 games at the World Cup and didn't look out of place at that level.  Yet many here have written him off as not having any chance of making the NF premier league squad even as a bench player.  Jebbo's most recent and relevant experience is largely as a sub at the Championship level.  I know people often place emphasis on youth players, but there isn't much to suggest that Jebbo could make the leap to another EPL team - even if just to be loaned out.  Despite the links (which don't carry much weight until there is more substance to them) he may not be the kind of "can't miss" youth prospect that an EPL teams wants to invest in.     

If he's not interesting to any EPL team, he is not interesting to any Bundesliga, Liga or Serie A team. Since the level is the same --in fact better in La Liga, in terms of ball quality, technical acumen and tactical savvy--and the salary demands would not be high. 

But it is all moot. Taking that list of 10 teams at face value is pure naivety. It is the classic agent's list of suitors, and because he's in England, has his family there, wants to stay there, they come up with this random list of teams outside of England that mostly make zero sense (the Liga team interest is laughable, it's an obvious fabrication). With this schoolyard mentality of hey, if those teams are interested, perhaps we get some counterplay in England.

The only "good" move amongst those shown, as I see it, would be Feyernoord, a great league, good place to develop, patient with younger players, team that has certain visibility in Europe. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I meant more from the perspective that he’d be known best in England than anywhere else. If 10 teams from all these foreign leagues are allegedly interested in him, surely a team who has either player against him or can send a scout on a short train ride to go watch him play would have some interest? It’s not like premier league teams are all leagues ahead of clubs like Napoli, Dortmund, Juve, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at news at half in the Sheffield United game today.  

Some Blades X account has him looking for a new house as contract talks are progressing.  

That said they are playing with 2 strikers and have 3 on the bench. Ben Brereton Díaz was just signed on loan, he started (and scored on his debut) with Osula - who played Blades youth ball the same time as Jebbison.

McBurnie actually came on for Osula at half, which leaves Brewster and Archer (signed in the summer) on the bench.

The point is they have a fair number of strikers and have picked up one in each of the last two windows.

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Looking at news at half in the Sheffield United game today.  

Some Blades X account has him looking for a new house as contract talks are progressing.  

That said they are playing with 2 strikers and have 3 on the bench. Ben Brereton Díaz was just signed on loan, he started (and scored on his debut) with Osula - who played Blades youth ball the same time as Jebbison.

McBurnie actually came on for Osula at half, which leaves Brewster and Archer (signed in the summer) on the bench.

The point is they have a fair number of strikers and have picked up one in each of the last two windows.

I am more curious about the status of his illness/injury.   Everything I have seen has been vague enough to be concerning.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Perhaps he really is ill

Could very well be, and its their club and his privacy.

But the continual expected back in a few weeks, given in match news - with no actual update -  is a bit strange. 

The Blades medical people seem as good at their jobs as West Ham's transfer document staff are at theirs 😉.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford