Daniel Jebbison

Dominic94

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just checking in on him ahead of the Blades-Villa game.

Remains with Sheffield United throught the window and remains out with "Illness" returning in a (rolling) 2 weeks to a month. 

Curiouser and curiouser 

I really hope the kid is ok.  There is clearly something going on with a long term illness that could be any number of things.  Hopefully, whether he plays for Canada or not, he shakes whatever it is and gets back to full health so he can kickstart his promising career.

11 hours ago, An Observer said:

I really hope the kid is ok.  There is clearly something going on with a long term illness that could be any number of things.  Hopefully, whether he plays for Canada or not, he shakes whatever it is and gets back to full health so he can kickstart his promising career.

I thought the rumour was holding himself back due to discontent with training staff / medical team. Was that cleared up?

10 minutes ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

I thought the rumour was holding himself back due to discontent with training staff / medical team. Was that cleared up?

Don't think it has ever been cleared up but just with the amount of time he has been out, It just seems like more. Usually when teams are so quiet on an absence, it is usually way more serious.

Raptors center Christian Koloko being the example. Team was quiet on his reason for not being on the team all year. Now 6 months later, he was released and then he announced he is dealing with serious blood clot issues.

I find it very weird that Sheffield media (as far as I have seen) have reported almost nothing on his absence. Hopefully it is just a contract thing and we see him soon. But he has been two weeks away from returning since September on Fotmob. Timeline has been moving for about six months now

4 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Raptors center Christian Koloko being the example. Team was quiet on his reason for not being on the team all year. Now 6 months later, he was released and then he announced he is dealing with serious blood clot issue.

That was one rumour floating around Jebbison as well.  

But again nothing official and taken with a big shed load of salt.

From Jan 10/2024

Jebbison has missed most of the season with injury concerns, but he was set to start against Luton Town in the recent Premier League clash, but a hamstring issues saw him ruled out.

Jebbo article from Jan 10

Looks like that Luton game was Dec 26. They have played 6 games since. Fotmob has him out until mid Feb now with an illness. You'd think it would of been changed to hamstring. Either way, hopefully we see him in mid February

Edited by blueseeka

I'm interested to see what the consensus is here....If he commits to Canada, and he is healthy way before June...do we see him over the likes of a guy like Cavallini at the Copa?

Or is Cavallini too important because of his Spanish speaking qualities?

1 hour ago, Shway said:

I'm interested to see what the consensus is here....If he commits to Canada, and he is healthy way before June...do we see him over the likes of a guy like Cavallini at the Copa?

I think we’d roll with 4 strikers and give Jebbison the LDF or Koleosho treatment. Larin and David start, Cava off the bench at like ‘65, and then Jebbison takes his training kit off to stretch every two games at ‘90+2 to give us all something to freak out about. 

Edited by InglewoodJack

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Too early to call.  He has been out for a long time.  Everything would depend on what he did after a return.   Playing solid sub minutes in EPL and being effective in that environment? He would probably be justifying a call as #3 or #4 up front.  Getting healthy but then only getting occasional bench appearances and minimal minutes as a late sub until the summer?  You can’t call him up under those circumstances.   

Copa isn’t a place to hand someone a generous giveaway cap.  Potentially if we see him as a future powerhouse for Canada and we are at risk of losing him, I could see it tip the balance slightly in his favour if he is really close to the other options.  But otherwise you just go with the strongest squad possible. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Too early to call.  He has been out for a long time.  Everything would depend on what he did after a return.   Playing solid sub minutes in EPL and being effective in that environment? He would probably be justifying a call as #3 or #4 up front.  Getting healthy but then only getting occasional bench appearances and minimal minutes as a late sub until the summer?  You can’t call him up under those circumstances.   

Copa isn’t a place to hand someone a generous giveaway cap.  Potentially if we see him as a future powerhouse for Canada and we are at risk of losing him, I could see it tip the balance slightly in his favour if he is really close to the other options.  But otherwise you just go with the strongest squad possible. 

I'm torn on this but jebbo could be our #3, #4 guy even with minimal minutes as a late sub. 
Are bad EPL minutes better than Cav starting in mexico. We know cav will likely struggle at the copa level. Jebbo, even out of form has the potential to play close to copa level. 

minutes in the prem for jebbo is better than JRR. Same argument vs ugbo even if ugbo likely gets some starts. 

Brym is an interesting one. On paper, he probably gets it but I dont think he inspires me as a super sub like jebbo does. 

I agree we bring the strongest squad, and the best squad may not be the best individual players. My bias is showing but jebbo feels like he can compliment david and larin as the next up guy, more than any other strikers in the pool. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I would go Cavallini at this point.

It's not just the Spanish speaking qualities, but also the edge he plays with. And because of his Latino background, this tournament could bring the very best out of him. Speculating obviously as I don't know him personally, but that's just the vibe I get from him. I see him really trying to leave an impression as it would not just be another tournament.

His background is Argentine on his father's side, I believe, so just imagine the intensity and how dialed in he'd be coming off the bench in that opening match!

As for the Jebbison side of this equation, he's simply missed too much development time for my liking. And he's not really that young anymore. I am not saying we shouldn't get him into the program, but  he's no longer the "lock him down at all costs" prospect he was as 3 years ago.

To put it in perspective, he's in the same age cohort as Ricardo Pepi, who's gone on to play nearly 150 pro games, including games in the Bundesliga and now PSV, even scoring in the Champions League. Jebbison, with a very similar playing profile, has roughly a third of the experience, mostly in the Championship and League One, and to date I believe he's still only played 4 games in the Premier League.

It's too bad with his health issues and I wish him a speedy recovery with whatever is holding him back, but if he never had those issues he'd probably have a dozen or more Premier League games added to his resume, maybe even a few goals, and that alone would probably make me reconsider my stance in terms of giving him a spot for Copa America.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I don't think we need to call someone up based on their ability to translate the opposition calling our players putos.

Just now, frmr said:

I don't think we need to call someone up based on their ability to translate the opposition calling our players putos.

@Unnamed Trialist had a post and I cannot recall what thread but he was pointing out how Oso gets in the latino refs ear in a way that our non Spanish speakers cannot or will not do. It's that kind of thing I think Shway is referring too, not being a translator (I know you are being facetious, but you know what I mean?).

I could be wrong, but I would like to think having a few Latinos on the team will somehow come in handy playing a full team of latinos.

Maybe that's just reductionist thinking on my part though, plus you could argue we are already well versed with playing Latin American teams via CONCACAF. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

@Unnamed Trialist had a post and I cannot recall what thread but he was pointing out how Oso gets in the latino refs ear in a way that our non Spanish speakers cannot or will not do. It's that kind of thing I think Shway is referring too, not being a translator (I know you are being facetious, but you know what I mean?).

I could be wrong, but I would like to think having a few Latinos on the team will somehow come in handy playing a full team of latinos.

Maybe that's just reductionist thinking on my part though, plus you could argue we are already well versed with playing Latin American teams via CONCACAF. Thoughts?

Yeah I was half joking, I could see the benefit of the language thing. It's a toss up for me to call up Cav. I'm leaning towards moving on.

22 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

We know cav will likely struggle at the copa level. Jebbo, even out of form has the potential to play close to copa level. 

I don’t really agree with this - especially the bolder part.  Would Cav struggle in a starting role where he is expected to play 90 minutes and be the main focal point of Canada’s attack?  For sure.  But that isn’t his role.   He is a guy who is now expected to come in late in a game - to contribute to a high energy effort to close-out a game where we want to preserve a lead or result, to shake things up by introducing a much more physical element when other tactics have been ineffective, etc.   And in that sort of defined role I don’t think he would struggle.  I think his ability to still do that sort of thing is exactly why he is the default number 3 until someone takes that role from him. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t really agree with this - especially the bolder part.  Would Cav struggle in a starting role where he is expected to play 90 minutes and be the main focal point of Canada’s attack?  For sure.  But that isn’t his role.   He is a guy who is now expected to come in late in a game - to contribute to a high energy effort to close-out a game where we want to preserve a lead or result, to shake things up by introducing a much more physical element when other tactics have been ineffective, etc.   And in that sort of defined role I don’t think he would struggle.  I think his ability to still do that sort of thing is exactly why he is the default number 3 until someone takes that role from him. 

Love the logic behind this post. The dutch did this super effectively with luuk de jong for years. 

Cav 100% can and does do this well at the concacaf level. I'm worried about his ability to do this against better CB's at copa. Would we be better off to bring in cav to do exactly what youre saying and hope he can be physical and win long balls, or do we think he would get dominated so it is a non-factor. If he cant do that role then i think a guy like jebbo running in behind or keeping larin on for hold up play is a better option.... I just don't know what my opinion is on cav being able to perform the role you describe at the copa level. 

43 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Love the logic behind this post. The dutch did this super effectively with luuk de jong for years. 

Cav 100% can and does do this well at the concacaf level. I'm worried about his ability to do this against better CB's at copa. Would we be better off to bring in cav to do exactly what youre saying and hope he can be physical and win long balls, or do we think he would get dominated so it is a non-factor. If he cant do that role then i think a guy like jebbo running in behind or keeping larin on for hold up play is a better option.... I just don't know what my opinion is on cav being able to perform the role you describe at the copa level. 

The thing is, our opponents are Chile and Peru. Argentina you can toss out as a lost cause, but the level of both of those teams is maybe the "Liga MX" level? I don't know them very well, just generalizing, but I feel that's a reasonable assumption.

Cav is off to a decent start in Liga MX. I he's be fine against Chile and Peru bringing him on with 15 minutes to go.

Now, one thing we may want to question is do you want those minutes going to a guy like Brym (sorry @Ottawafan), Bair or Ugbo (or Jebbison I guess)?

They are guys who will be around for multiple cycles. That experience will help prep them for the WC.

Cavallini may or may not make it to 2026 and certainly won't be around past that.

Edited by Obinna

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

The thing is, our opponents are Chile and Peru. Argentina you can toss out as a lost cause, but the level of both of those teams is maybe the "Liga MX" level? I don't know them very well, just generalizing, but I feel that's a reasonable assumption.

Cav is off to a decent start in Liga MX. I he's be fine against Chile and Peru bringing him on with 15 minutes to go.

Now, one thing we may want to question is do you want those minutes going to a guy like Brym (sorry @Ottawafan), Bair or Ugbo (or Jebbison I guess)?

They are guys who will be around for multiple cycles. That experience will help prep them for the WC.

Cavallini may or may not make it to 2026 and certainly won't be around past that.

This post summarizes my internal issue. Is chile/peru at a liga mx level? Theres certainly an argument as the floor is pretty low on their squads but the top end is decently high.

However, I think the CMNT (if they trained like a club) would wipe the floor with a liga mx team. Therefore if chile is a liga mx quality side with equalish training opportunities to CMNT, then we should beat them fairly easily.

All of our starters who are non mls are above liga mx level and you can argue that mls is roughly on par with liga mx. So our floor is roughly liga mx. 

But why do i not feel confident against peru and chile..... 

It has to be Cava before Jebbison, and honestly at this point, it’s probably Corbeanu before him too. Jebbo hasn’t played a game since May ‘23, hasn’t scored a goal since Jan ‘23, and since Jan ‘22- 2 full years, he’s scored a total of 2 goals, and before that, he was in League One. If he comes back to Sheffield before Copa- big if at this point, he’ll be very out of form and at that point, he’s effectively a low scoring championship level player which we already have in the form of Ike Ugbo. 

To put it simply, is there a point in the game where it would ever make sense to substitute one of David or Larin for Jebbison in a game you’re trying to win? At least with Cava you can toss him in on a wing and a prayer and hope he does some fuckery that changes the game, but if Larin and David aren’t scoring, it’s not like Jebbison gives you anything those guys don’t. Hell, is there anything Jebbison can give us that Theo Bair can’t?

Still hope he plays for us and maybe capping him at Copa is the way to do it, but I just can’t picture a scenario where bringing him into a game makes any positive difference over what we already have.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for the reference, and I am even more cynical and in favour of greater cunning than I've expressed. 

We seemed to identify a certain heightening of shithousery on our part during qualifying. The keeper needing medical attention at critical moments was an example. Keeping the Richie stare under the radar of yellow cards would be another.

But even then we are guilty of being innocent and a willingness to be lambs to the slaughter when it makes no sense at all. I still have a clear image of one of our players being shoved in the back going for a header to tie Morocco in the World Cup, later in that 2nd half. Any other team would have been asking the ref what the hell and insisting on a VAR review. It was a penalty but we just decided we had to eat it. 

I don't want to overstate this. Copa America is a latino festival, we are guests, but the goal, I see it, is to be respected, for our play, for our results, and not be dupes.

• 3 weeks later...

Looked him up again, since they were playing Wolves today. 

Wilder was asked about his contract in the week, apparently.

"Asked about Jebbison's contract talks with the Blades, Wilder said: 'In talks with the chief exec at the moment, so we're all positive. We had a Zoom meeting with the owners and the board and Steve [Bettis, chief executive] last week. So it's ongoing.

'We're confident and hopeful, the attitude of the boy and the parents and the agent is that he sees his future at Sheffield United. And we replicate those feelings, so fingers crossed we can get down and we can be sensible with everything and we can get another bright young player signed.'"

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/sheffield-utd-boss-wilder-confident-of-jebbison-commitment-4486599

One of Blades social media fan accounts rightly asked, after the fact, why didn't they ask about the injury. 

35 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Looked him up again, since they were playing Wolves today. 

Wilder was asked about his contract in the week, apparently.

"Asked about Jebbison's contract talks with the Blades, Wilder said: 'In talks with the chief exec at the moment, so we're all positive. We had a Zoom meeting with the owners and the board and Steve [Bettis, chief executive] last week. So it's ongoing.

'We're confident and hopeful, the attitude of the boy and the parents and the agent is that he sees his future at Sheffield United. And we replicate those feelings, so fingers crossed we can get down and we can be sensible with everything and we can get another bright young player signed.'"

https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/sheffield-utd-boss-wilder-confident-of-jebbison-commitment-4486599

One of Blades social media fan accounts rightly asked, after the fact, why didn't they ask about the injury. 

I just came here to post about his status.  

I noticed that FotMob now has him listed as returning from injury in “a few days” which I believe is a notable change from previous status listings.   Did a quick search for articles in the last few days and found this one:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/george-baldock-nearing-sheffield-united-injury-comeback-as-chris-wilder-gets-his-big-selection-wish-4529673

Elsewhere Daniel Jebbison is also nearing fitness, amid increasing confidence from Wilder that he will sign a new contract ahead of his current deal expiring in the summer, which would increase the manager's options up front, especially when Oli McBurnie and Ben Brereton Diaz are in a position to start games after their recent calf and hamstring issues.”