Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

2 hours ago, frmr said:

If Biello selects Cav over our in form strikers I’ll riot. 

Cav is a starter on his team and has 2 goals in 8 matches so far this year,  he's in form, or at least where we'd expect him to be form wise.  

Ugbo is getting hot tho, let's hope he keeps this up.

Depending on tactics game situation etc your prob only going to bring on 1 striker anyways.  Ugbo is integrated into the team and he is hot...first of the bench etc.  For the 4th guy who is prob going to just be a happy spectator, why not get Bair in there??  We are going to have to start moving away from the older guys eventually.  Reward the guy who is trending upwards.  

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

jzY7veE.png

GL5IwlC.png

Oh good, another narrative to latch onto: beat Sargent and Hagi Wright in the goal-scoring table.

I too would take Ugbo vs. T&T based on recent form. I am not sure what kind of defender he is, and realize he does not have a lot of ball and combination play, but you may need a goal late, you may go to 120 minutes, you need that guy riding a wave. As for Cavallini, his team is doing very badly, and I don't see he is helping them much. I'd take him too, over Bair, but I am not sure he really is the player he was at all.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Here it is.

https://x.com/Vancouverowls/status/1763964508236632077?s=20

Almost identical to what Bair is doing, knowing how to move in the box and one-time it. I really do think they are similar, and unless I watch more, I'd not know how to pick between them. Since Ike committed to us and he's never had a goal with us, I'd love for him to get over that hump with Canada. But apart from that, similar profile to Bair

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here it is.

Almost identical to what Bair is doing, knowing how to move in the box and one-time it. I really do think they are similar, and unless I watch more, I'd not know how to pick between them. Since Ike committed to us and he's never had a goal with us, I'd love for him to get over that hump with Canada. But apart from that, similar profile to Bair

Not the prettiest goal, but those positionally intelligent scrappy tap-ins are exactly what you expect from a finisher. So happy to see him scoring.

Like you said, let's hope it continues and translates into a call. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

I hadn’t paid much attention to the bottom of the Championship table but SW are 2nd last with 35 points - yet the next 7 teams are all at 40 or less (with the next 4 on 38 points so a single win would reel them in).  Didn’t dive deep enough to compare upcoming schedules but it looks like SW has a path to escape relegation.  24 total teams so I assume they play 46 total games during the season. That would give them 9 more games to scrape together enough points for safety.     

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I hadn’t paid much attention to the bottom of the Championship table but SW are 2nd last with 35 points - yet the next 7 teams are all at 40 or less (with the next 4 on 38 points so a single win would reel them in).  Didn’t dive deep enough to compare upcoming schedules but it looks like SW has a path to escape relegation.  24 total teams so I assume they play 46 total games during the season. That would give them 9 more games to scrape together enough points for safety.     

12 points in their last 5 games helped a lot. 

(btw Ugbo had the 4 GWG for them)

Edited by MauditYvon

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

SW has won 4 of the past 5, basically because of Ugbo's hot streak. They had 6 wins in first 30 games before the last four wins

Screenshot_20240302_121508_FotMob Pro.jpg

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Here it is.

The more I see from Bair and Ugbo, the more it makes me realize they'd make ideal partners for both David and Larin.  Both D & L are not pure 9's, their ideal role would be playing off the striker.

David/Bair would be interesting. 

@Kevin: where are we at with those friendlies?  

I still don't feel Canada should be playing 2 strikers vs tougher competition, our midfield just isn't strong enough.

36 minutes ago, costarg said:

The more I see from Bair and Ugbo, the more it makes me realize they'd make ideal partners for both David and Larin.  Both D & L are not pure 9's, their ideal role would be playing off the striker.

David/Bair would be interesting. 

@Kevin: where are we at with those friendlies?  

I still don't feel Canada should be playing 2 strikers vs tougher competition, our midfield just isn't strong enough.

Or you ask one of Larin or David to play behind the other and support the midfield. I thought David could do this, but now I see Larin more, he's a lot better with the ball than I ever imagined. 

Ugbo and Bair are more for that final touch in the box. I am all for either, but if they are alone, I am not sure they have hold up, not much passing or combination play, not so great working with mids. So that limits you whereby David and Larin are able to move the ball with the team.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Or you ask one of Larin or David to play behind the other and support the midfield. I thought David could do this, but now I see Larin more, he's a lot better with the ball than I ever imagined. 

Ugbo and Bair are more for that final touch in the box. I am all for either, but if they are alone, I am not sure they have hold up, not much passing or combination play, not so great working with mids. So that limits you whereby David and Larin are able to move the ball with the team.

You realize Bair is often lone striker for Motherwell, when they play hoofball they rely on his exceptional level of physicality and hold-up. He’s comfortable driving with the ball too, often looking to deceive his defender, though sometimes he has his head down and holds on too long, couple times vs Rangers he could’ve sent his teammate through on goal but didn’t and gave the ball away. Can’t comment on Ugbo as I don’t watch him but in my eyes, Bair is much more complete than you give him credit for 

I feel like there's a debate brewing about taking him or Bair because of how in-form both are.

My opinion is, with no disrespect to Bair, I think you go with Ugbo. He has more CMNT experience, proven himself in Ligue 1 and is scoring in the Championship. It would be a shame to see him left out after finally scoring regularly again. 

Have to take Ugbo...if Millar is almost an auto call up at the crowded wing position, how can Ugbo not be the 3rd striker and an auto call up the way he has been scoring.  I realize he has been less than exciting so far for canada, but a guy on that kind of run in that high a league..he has to beat our Cav or any of the other (JRR,Brym etc).  And I would take Bair as well.  Prob just ride the pine, but we need to show these youngsters that if they are killing it at their clubs, they'll be able to force their way into camps eh??