Ike Ugbo

CanadaFan123

19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Have to take Ugbo...if Millar is almost an auto call up at the crowded wing position, how can Ugbo not be the 3rd striker and an auto call up the way he has been scoring.  I realize he has been less than exciting so far for canada, but a guy on that kind of run in that high a league..he has to beat our Cav or any of the other (JRR,Brym etc).  And I would take Bair as well.  Prob just ride the pine, but we need to show these youngsters that if they are killing it at their clubs, they'll be able to force their way into camps eh??  

I agree with the sentiment of rewarding players but in this case I don’t see how you call both Bair and Ugbo. It’s an either or situation IMO as we have no use for 4 strikers. 

Definitely the toughest squad selection in CanMNT history.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I agree with the sentiment of rewarding players but in this case I don’t see how you call both Bair and Ugbo. It’s an either or situation IMO as we have no use for 4 strikers. 

Definitely the toughest squad selection in CanMNT history.

What makes it doubly tough is the lack of consistent depth across the positions.  The fact is, if you were just going to pick our best 20 players, you'd probably get 6 strikers, 8 wingers/wingbacks, 4 midfielders, 2 defenders and 0 goalkeepers.

31 minutes ago, GasPed said:

What makes it doubly tough is the lack of consistent depth across the positions.  The fact is, if you were just going to pick our best 20 players, you'd probably get 6 strikers, 8 wingers/wingbacks, 4 midfielders, 2 defenders and 0 goalkeepers.

Beg to differ, I think Crepeau is an easy pick and would be a Top 20 player

52 minutes ago, GasPed said:

This makes for an interesting discussion.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I’m with you and I wouldn’t stop there either. Goalkeeper is not a weak position in the slightest - arguably a more difficult position to pick as well as unlike other deep positions there isn’t a clear cut starter. 

1 hour ago, nolando said:

This makes for an interesting discussion.

not in order but my best 20 cmnt players
1. davies
2. david
3. Larin
4. staq
5. kone
6. buchanan
7. millar
8. ugbo
9. laryea
10. johnston
11. adekugbe
12. miller
13. cornelius
14. Brym
15. vitoria
16. choiniere
17. corbeanu
18. crepeau
19. sirios 
20. hoilett

HM: Bair, Shaf, oso, ali 

GK: 2
CB: 3
FB: 4
CM: 4
Winger: 3
ST: 4 

I feel like its a pretty even distribution. Sure we can argue about brym for bair or hoilett for oso etc. but I dont think we see a very wild distribution of positions. 

4 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Crazy another win based on his assist. That is 5 wins in the last 6 with the only loss to league leaders Leicester.

Level on points with safety, though the two teams just outside the drop zone have played one game less. 

I guess other good news is that they are only two points behind 16th on level games. Bad news is their goal difference. 

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

He's an easy pick for the squad because he's our best keeper.  I'm not sure if he's in our best 20 (and judging by the consistent lack of interest from Europe in him, I may not be alone) - but tbh my post was really just to make a point about how our overall talent is skewed towards the attacking side (and I admit I may have exaggerated at the Max's expense 😉).

Posted (edited)

Are we sure he’s wanting to play for us? He hasn’t been called since the World Cup IIRC. Or maybe we don’t want him? I remember some cryptic insta comments a while back and it was really odd he wasn’t at the gold cup or nations league. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Are we sure he’s wanting to play for us? He hasn’t been called since the World Cup IIRC. Or maybe we don’t want him? I remember some cryptic insta comments a while back and it was really odd he wasn’t at the gold cup or nations league. 

I think your overthinking it. He struggled for most of last year. Millar and Brym had played better than him. Most players that played in the World Cup had no interest in the Gold Cup during their off season.

7 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

I think your overthinking it. He struggled for most of last year. Millar and Brym had played better than him. Most players that played in the World Cup had no interest in the Gold Cup during their off season.

True but remember Herdman also had a hard on for top 5 league players yet left him off 3 squads?  Made little sense.

No one is talking about him but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that they rate Russell-Rowe higher than Bair and Ugbo either.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think it’s more because until like 6 weeks ago, he hadn’t played very well at all since the World Cup. Lucky for us he has no one else to play for, and I think he needs us more than we need him.

4 minutes ago, rkomar said:

I had to laugh at the SW forward who completely forgot about the offside rule at about 0:35 in the clip.

I don’t even think he was offside when the ball was played to him… certainly was earlier in the buildup.