Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Macksam

One of the most underrated Canadian players in my opinion.  I've always been a big fan but he took a lot of heat from fans for a few years.  One of Toronto FC's best players for two years now and even to the surprise of many on this board, continues to get starts under Herdman and has yet to disappoint in my opinion, particularly since the Gold Cup and on.

Edited by Corazon

20 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Everyone say a few nice things about my boy.

He should start over Arfield. ;)

But seriously, his last two games at BMO have been the two best I've seen from him.  He has been getting better and better since November 2017.  It's crazy to think at one point him and Teibert were sort of considered around the same level - well, Osorio has taken himself to another tier.  He's a guaranteed call up now and a much more complete central mid.  

He brings the same kind of insane passion and commitment that we once saw from players like deVos and Hume. 

A clutch player, he always steps up in big games.  From MLS Cup, Concacaf Champions League to CMNT, he has a track record of performing when it matters most, against the very best players in Concacaf.

Creativity. Experience. Leadership.  We are lucky to have him.

I also thought he has been working much harder defensively lately as well.  Particularly in the Canada USA game he worked hard defending and winning the ball back, while also have some outstanding through balls and passes.  Loved the way he celebrated the goals in that game as well.  You would have thought he scored the goal to win a championship after Cavallini's goal.  That's the passion I love to see from our players.

I find it interesting how much more influential he tends to be playing for Canada (under Herdman, at least) compared to his role with TFC in 2019. I wasn't a fan earlier in his national team career, and I think with good reason, but he's made great strides and seems finally to take some pride in his defensive efforts, which used to be a major liability.

Honestly think he's a guy who doesn't have a super high ceiling, but he's got such a good head on his shoulders that he's gone up to his potential and beyond through hard work and taking notes from coaching. He's now a very solid all-around player who shows bursts of creativity and skill. Very humble guy whose commitment level is always 100%.

I have been most impressed with his defensive work off the ball. He already had the creativity and flair, but now his game is more well-rounded. 

He will be an important player for this cycle. A consistent player who can be depended on, Osorio has enough skill and experience to be useful for Canada against the biggest of teams.

For me, his role in Champions League was a career-defining moment for him.

I was recently snooping on the big soccer fourm in wake of the Americans losing to us and one of the posters referred to Osorio as a "platoon" player for Toronto FC. Yet another example of the Americans sleeping on our players. 

I'll eat the crow.... I gave him some criticsm in 2015-2016, but still wished him the best, as I fully support all CMNT players. 

I have nothing but appreciation and love for the guy with his passion and play now. As mentioned above since his 2017 CCL run, he has been pure class, and I have nothing but good things to say about him.  

Has his limits, but is a rock of consistency in a young Canadian team. Biggest thing for me is his willingness to move the ball forwards. Isn't flashy but is efficient and effective. Seems like the old man in a flashy and young Canadian offence. It sounds negative, but it is desperately needed, and something I am sure the USA would like right now.

Being a west ham fan, Oso reminds me a bit of Noble, which is a high compliment. People don't quite understand him, but his results are proven. Only shortfall is his penalty taking, I bet TFC fans wished he was like Noble when it came to pens.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

But seriously, his last two games at BMO have been the two best I've seen from him.  He has been getting better and better since November 2017.  

Oh, you mean right around the time he started working with John Herdman for CANMNT?  Coincidence?