Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Macksam

I have always loved Osorio and never understood the criticism. I’m not sure where the “not flashy” comment comes from above either, I disagree with that. He has fantastic dribbling in tight spaces and always has. The 2 things I have thought he could improve on are defence (which he most certainly has improved by now) and shooting from outside the box. He still isn’t much of a threat from far out but he scored a heck of a good volley for TFC last weekend from outside the box.

Oso has been very strong for two straight years now, maybe a bit longer.  He is a smart player, which I like to see. While Piette will get a  lot of kudos for his performance vs. the US last week, the roles that Oso and Arfield played were massive.  Very disciplined, smart positional play from both of them.  And they made things happen going forward too (an assist each!)  There was a time when I did not see a massive difference in quality between Osorio and Tiebert, but that is certainly no longer the case. (I love Rusty, but Oso offers a lot more.)

13 hours ago, Kent said:

I have always loved Osorio and never understood the criticism. I’m not sure where the “not flashy” comment comes from above either, I disagree with that. He has fantastic dribbling in tight spaces and always has. The 2 things I have thought he could improve on are defence (which he most certainly has improved by now) and shooting from outside the box. He still isn’t much of a threat from far out but he scored a heck of a good volley for TFC last weekend from outside the box.

Completely agree, when he burst on the scene what made him stand out was his flair and skill on the ball. imo. 

15 hours ago, RS said:

Osorio is so good he makes me and Macksam agree on something.

happy robert redford GIF

11 hours ago, toontownman said:

Burst on the scene looked potentially amazing

Went backwards, wasn't given opportunities and looked like he was going to get lost and fade into obscurity.

Got his chance, took it, has become amazing. 

The End.

Yes, I remember when him and Kyle Bekker both came onto the team at the same time, with Bekker getting more hype being the number 1 draft pick and all. No disrespect to Bekker as I am glad he is doing good things with Forge but after watching both guys play that initial year, I knew fully well who was going to struggle and who was going to thrive. Not unlike Cavallini, his time spent in Uruguay gave him that South American guile (you know where you have to literally throw everything and the kitchen sink at him to pry him off the ball) that made him a cut above all the American college boys. 

20 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Honestly think he's a guy who doesn't have a super high ceiling, but he's got such a good head on his shoulders that he's gone up to his potential and beyond through hard work and taking notes from coaching. He's now a very solid all-around player who shows bursts of creativity and skill. Very humble guy whose commitment level is always 100%.

This is the prime of his career not really a time to be measuring his ceiling.  Davies, David knock yourself out talking about potential.

He consistently performs at a high level whenever called upon and in whatever competition.  I think when he found his scoring boots it gave him all sorts of confidence in himself and it shows every time he's out there.  For my money he's been the best player for TFC post-Giovinco. 

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

This is the prime of his career not really a time to be measuring his ceiling.  Davies, David knock yourself out talking about potential.

He consistently performs at a high level whenever called upon and in whatever competition.  I think when he found his scoring boots it gave him all sorts of confidence in himself and it shows every time he's out there.  For my money he's been the best player for TFC post-Giovinco. 

Oso has a few things he can add to his repertoire, even at this age. The big one: leadership.  Yeah, it is not a technical skill, but it is vital all the same.  He is becoming one of more reliable, more experienced, savvier players, and he will play an increasingly critical role as a leader on the field and in the dressing room. He's a quieter guy, but so is Hutch. 

2 hours ago, Stouffvillain said:

Change the tense to "didn't have". He's definitely worked his way up and matured well.

16 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Oso has a few things he can add to his repertoire, even at this age. The big one: leadership.  Yeah, it is not a technical skill, but it is vital all the same.  He is becoming one of more reliable, more experienced, savvier players, and he will play an increasingly critical role as a leader on the field and in the dressing room. He's a quieter guy, but so is Hutch. 

I think with his play over the last few seasons he's definitely got some younger players within the national program and at TFC looking up to him.  The role of mentor to younger players is a position that he's played himself into.  

You're right that Osorio isn't a vocal player but he leads by example.  Any young player can look at his career and see that there are ups and downs but hard work and determination can pay off.  Being more of a silent leader may also present himself more as an older brother to younger players and thus more approachable. 

It'll be interesting to see how he grows in this area of the next few years. 

• 6 months later...

Still performing at a top level playing for one of the best clubs in MLS, TFC. Osorio now is 27 set to turn 28 this year (1992). If we get to Qatar in 2022, Osorio will be 30 years old. Surprises me because I actually thought that he was younger that's all I'm saying.

Edited by TGAA_Star
X

On 10/23/2019 at 1:40 PM, Stouffvillain said:

Exactly he is in his prime he's 27 turning 28 or he's at least nearing his prime. But still even so by the time Qatar 2022 starts up, he will be 30 years old which means he could play in Qatar provided we get there but will he even be able to play in 2026? He will be like what 33/34 by then when the 2026 FIFA World Cup is here at home in Canada-USA-Mexico

• 5 months later...

This thread deserves a serious bump. 

I always support all CMNT players, but I was on him way back in 2015 when he would sometimes be played out wide and look awful. He has turned into quite the exceptional talent and I don't think it is being appreciated enough on here. 

Two recent things for the recognition bump: 

1) rocking the captain armband for TFC who currently sit top of the table in MLS. 

2) How much his defensive ability has improved and how he has looked quite capable in his hybrid Defensive Midfield role. 

The reality is if Canada is going to make a deep WC qualifying run, and say I dream make a world cup, we need our mids to be very well rounded on both sides of the ball.  I'm not calling Osorio our #1 defensive mid by any means but his ability and his defensive improvements have been quite  impressive. 

Here is to hoping he continues his upwards trajectory and form for the rest of 2020 and carries that into  March WCQ for us.💪

*it's Friday and I seem to be in a really good supporter  mood* haha

Edited by apbsmith

I think he really opened a lot of peoples eyes during TFC’s run to the Champions League final . Yes he was a solid contributor in TFC’s incredible 2017 winning season but then upping his game against some of the best teams in Mexico really established him in my eyes. Moreover, I think with all that experience behind him it will hopefully help in in those make or break games Canada will have in the upcoming World Cup qualifying .

• 1 month later...

Aside from his kick out in the 1st half, he was the only good player for Toronto FC today in my opinion.  He's become such a complete player recently.  Had some great tackles tonight too.

I know TransferMarkt isn't the greatest source but they currently rate him the 16th most valuable player in MLS.  With the majority of the players in front of him being foreign designated players.  The only American in front of him is Brenden Aaronson who is heading to Salzburg at the end of the season I believe.

The players ahead of him are Diego Rossi, Carlos Vela, Gonzalo Higuain, Cristian Pavon, Josef Martinez, Ezequiel Barco, Rodolfo Pizarro, Brian Rodriguez, Alan Pulido, Brenden Aaronson, Alejandro Pozuelo, Jurgen Locadia, Matias Pellegrini, Victor Wanyama & Lucas Zelarayan.  I can't confirm for sure but they may all be Designated Players.  Not bad company to be in.

Canadian Market Values in MLS

16th - Osorio

24th - Cavallini

27th - Kaye

51st - Akinola

72nd - Laryea (Market Value has gone up nearly $2 million this year)

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Aside from his kick out in the 1st half, he was the only good player for Toronto FC today in my opinion.  He's become such a complete player recently.  Had some great tackles tonight too.

I know TransferMarkt isn't the greatest source but they currently rate him the 16th most valuable player in MLS.  With the majority of the players in front of him being foreign designated players.  The only American in front of him is Brenden Aaronson who is heading to Salzburg at the end of the season I believe.

The players ahead of him are Diego Rossi, Carlos Vela, Gonzalo Higuain, Cristian Pavon, Josef Martinez, Ezequiel Barco, Rodolfo Pizarro, Brian Rodriguez, Alan Pulido, Brenden Aaronson, Alejandro Pozuelo, Jurgen Locadia, Matias Pellegrini, Victor Wanyama & Lucas Zelarayan.  I can't confirm for sure but they may all be Designated Players.  Not bad company to be in.

Canadian Market Values in MLS

16th - Osorio

24th - Cavallini

27th - Kaye

51st - Akinola

72nd - Laryea (Market Value has gone up nearly $2 million this year)

To add to this.

Laryea currently has the 8th highest market value for defenders in MLS.  There are 6 center backs with higher value than him and he is tied with Anton Tinnerholm for the highest market value of all the outside backs in MLS currently. 

Edited by Corazon