Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Macksam

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well last time he was unhappy about his NT minutes he took a little fit on the bench, disrespecting his teammates. 

This is much better and far more mature: I need to play at a higher level, or regularly at a similar level, to ensure my NT minutes.

My personal opinion is that he deserved more minutes in Edmonton, as he compensates a team with three attacking minded players and no one playing behind the striker. But if he is not satisfied, then great to react and seek a better set-up.

Though I would say one of his drawbacks is his salary. He is making good money, and he can't go anywhere for much less. But I would say that if does want to advance his career, he may have to be willing to take a slight drop. Otherwise he won't get bites.

The other is that he had an objectively poor season, as did TFC. Or at least no one can say he played great in spite of the team around him. So that is not a good calling card for a decent transfer: poor club year, not a sure starter for Canada, high-ish salary. 

Since there is not a single viable transfer rumour coming out of Europe, he may just be making these statements to see if he can get a reaction out of Bradley. Or garner a phone call. You'd think Bradley would understand he would normally be in the core 5-7 starters and veterans who have to continue. 

So my conclusion: he won't move, and he'll commit to his new coach at TFC.

He might just be pushing for TFC to pick up his option and/or negotiate an extension 

Highish salary compared to where??  You guys know better than I do....which leagues would he land at, and would it be 750 EUROs??

And isnt he getting minutes with CMNT??  Lets not make a big "arfield" deal about some throw away comment.  And does he really need to move leagues to get more time on the field? Isnt Kaye getting games out of the same league.  Guys like Oso, Piette, Kaye are smart enough to realize that they'll be in and out of the lineup depending on what Herdman is doing that game, yellow cars, injuries or who we are playing.  Kaye and Eustaquio have forged a nice partnership and they would like to keep that going, so prob no starting spot for Oso right now.  Piette has seen his chances drop big time since Eustaquio came in...thats just the way it goes.  Those 2 guys could sharpen up their games and make themselves more of an option in the future.  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Highish salary compared to where??  You guys know better than I do....which leagues would he land at, and would it be 750 EUROs??

And isnt he getting minutes with CMNT??  Lets not make a big "arfield" deal about some throw away comment.  And does he really need to move leagues to get more time on the field? Isnt Kaye getting games out of the same league.  Guys like Oso, Piette, Kaye are smart enough to realize that they'll be in and out of the lineup depending on what Herdman is doing that game, yellow cars, injuries or who we are playing.  Kaye and Eustaquio have forged a nice partnership and they would like to keep that going, so prob no starting spot for Oso right now.  Piette has seen his chances drop big time since Eustaquio came in...thats just the way it goes.  Those 2 guys could sharpen up their games and make themselves more of an option in the future.  

It struck me as odd. Yes the team is in a good place, but it's not as if the other midfielders are transferring out and he's being left behind. Perhaps Herdman is challenging the group as a whole to reach new levels, or maybe even certain players and he's one of them. I recall something similar with Wotherspoon, with Herdman challenging him to jump a level, though I am not sure what the context was. Did he really believe Spoony should leave St. Johnstone at this stage of his career, or did he mean just in terms of play on the field, because David has really stepped up in that regard. 

Either way, his salary is an interesting question. I believe Eustaquio is on 440k at Pacos.

If you take a club like Feyenoord or PSV, his current salary would put him roughly where he is now at Toronto, 5th or 6th highest paid.

PSV actually is very close to Toronto in terms of payroll. The average salary at TFC is $502k/yr to PSV's €487K/yr, and the annual payroll is €13,650,000 to Toronto's $15,566,719

https://capology.com/club/toronto-fc/salaries/2021/

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well last time he was unhappy about his NT minutes he took a little fit on the bench, disrespecting his teammates. 

This is much better and far more mature: I need to play at a higher level, or regularly at a similar level, to ensure my NT minutes.

My personal opinion is that he deserved more minutes in Edmonton, as he compensates a team with three attacking minded players and no one playing behind the striker. But if he is not satisfied, then great to react and seek a better set-up.

Though I would say one of his drawbacks is his salary. He is making good money, and he can't go anywhere for much less. But I would say that if does want to advance his career, he may have to be willing to take a slight drop. Otherwise he won't get bites.

The other is that he had an objectively poor season, as did TFC. Or at least no one can say he played great in spite of the team around him. So that is not a good calling card for a decent transfer: poor club year, not a sure starter for Canada, high-ish salary. 

Since there is not a single viable transfer rumour coming out of Europe, he may just be making these statements to see if he can get a reaction out of Bradley. Or garner a phone call. You'd think Bradley would understand he would normally be in the core 5-7 starters and veterans who have to continue. 

So my conclusion: he won't move, and he'll commit to his new coach at TFC.

I have to agree.  I can't see any team in Europe giving a 29 year old career MLSer coming off a bad year anything close to $850k along with starters minutes.  I mean maybe Liga MX, where he has some notoriety?

I’m a big Osorio fan but I think he has a good thing in Toronto.  I’m not sure that there is a good move for him to Europe that has him better off than his situation at TFC.

Now if there was an off-season loan to Europe, then that’s a completely different situation.  That would be a great experience for him.

Bradley Sr is making an assessment and I suspect that he’s going to want to keep Osorio around as a core member of the club.  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m a big Osorio fan but I think he has a good thing in Toronto.  I’m not sure that there is a good move for him to Europe that has him better off than his situation at TFC.

Now if there was an off-season loan to Europe, then that’s a completely different situation.  That would be a great experience for him.

Bradley Sr is making an assessment and I suspect that he’s going to want to keep Osorio around as a core member of the club.  

He pretty much says that here about Osorio (where he also somewhat rips apart Altidore while feeling pretty confident that Canada will qualify for the World Cup in 2022):

https://www.tsn.ca/video/bradley-on-altidore-i-don-t-think-he-s-been-as-committed-to-the-team-as-he-used-to-be~2329312

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Keep Osorio at TFC