Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Macksam

People are forgetting:  in the 2018 CCL, he was named on the best XI of the tournament and tied for the golden boot with Giovinco.   As a U20, i recall a key game whereby he came on as a sub and after that there were several comments wondering he didnt start.  

I maintain,  the reason that there isnt a greater appreciation is because he plays for TFC.  This is a national forum.  There are people from all over the country here and who support other Canadian MLS clubs.  As i said before,   Soccer is a sport that if you are rating a player with the mindset to search for negatives,  you will always find negatives.   He is a victim of the emergence club soccer and club soccer rivalrises in canada because when people rate him, they see him as a TFC player.

He was at his peak and played his best soccer at a time when he wasnt named to the MNT which was around the time of the last round of WCQ.  Thats in itself speaks to the incompetance of Benito Floro.  Because if you look at one of the things that have been missing with our MNT for ages, its been that link up ability in midfield.  And that ability to control the ball and dribble in tight spaces and high traffic would have been invaluable in 2018.   But, unlike someone like Arfield today, you would seldom here a peep here about his exclusion for the MNT in 2018 WCQ.  

Today, our MNT is deadly down the flanks and stacked with players who are lethal on the wings.   So he would not be as critical to our success as he would have been in 2018 because he plays more in the middle.  In short, he is a victim of soccer club rivalrises.  if he would have played for another Canadian team, he would have been much more appreciated on this forum. 

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

To be fair he was a very different player during the Floro era. Oso upped his work rate and commitment to the defensive side of the game. He's added a leadership role to boot. We don't have another player like him on our squad.

Sorry. but I dont agree at all.  He was at his best during the Floro era.   Barely one or two years after that he was getting awards for his play in the CCL.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

He's pretty old to be making the move. He's in a good spot with TFC and on good wages. I doubt he goes anywhere else at this stage

It was strictly the way he talked about Azteca that made me think he might be interested. Mexican teams aren't afraid to buy players in, or past, their prime though. They're out there to win, not to just to profit on player development

44 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Sorry. but I dont agree at all.  He was at his best during the Floro era.   Barely one or two years after that he was getting awards for his play in the CCL.

We were done with 2018 WCQ a long time before 2018. We didn't make it to the Hex.  Oso always had the skill  but he rounded out his game and work ethic while developing a mental toughness that was lacking. He did not have that at the start of Floro's era. I'm not here to defend Floro lol...

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Osorio is one of those barometer players -- you can tell a lot about how trustworthy someone's opinion on soccer is based on their opinion of Osorio

It would really piss me off at TFC matches hearing all of the grumblings about Osorio, not that he didn't make mistakes but he became the latest Canadian to hate on from all of these soccer experts who were new to the game and spent a good part of the match on their phone! We had a viewing party here in Hamilton for I believe the French Guiana match and we welcomed an out of town guy in TFC gear to our table, he was into about his 3rd season watching the sport, first bad pass and he was into the "Oso sucks" which I had heard all too often at BMO, I had some rather stern words with him about supporting all of our Canadian players including one who is a target of TFC fans!

On 10/8/2021 at 9:57 AM, El Diego said:

Osorio is one of those barometer players -- you can tell a lot about how trustworthy someone's opinion on soccer is based on their opinion of Osorio

I think he has some really good traits and they are shining through with the team right now but I have always seen him as a key supporting cast guy and not the focal point of your midfield.  He has thrived because he knows his niche and plays to those strengths as a linkman who can pop some timely goals and assists but put in the defensive work. 

Not sure if that opinion puts me in the circle of trust(worthy), but that's my two bits.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

Hockey reference incoming and depending on your age……

he is the Ken Linseman or Brad Marchand of our team

Player you would prefer to have on your team versus playing against 

How about a Glenn Anderson??  Not Gretzky or a sniper like Kuri, not as tough nosed as Messier, not a slick defender like Coffee, but still someone who does almost everything well, bags you 40 goals a season, shows up big in big games and in the end is a hall of famer??  

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

How about a Glenn Anderson??  Not Gretzky or a sniper like Kuri, not as tough nosed as Messier, not a slick defender like Coffee, but still someone who does almost everything well, bags you 40 goals a season, shows up big in big games and in the end is a hall of famer??  

Not wrong!

13 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Seriously classless "question" on her part. Oso's response was about what it deserved. I don't expect he or any TFC players will be accepting interviews from her in the future.

I thought it was a good tough question to ask.

We complain about the media not doing their job and when they finally do we still shit on them.

I have heard from others covering the team that they do indeed have locker room issues. But you will never see the flaccid journos who do cover TFC go down this same line of questions

5 minutes ago, narduch said:

I thought it was a good tough question to ask.

We complain about the media not doing their job and when they finally do we still shit on them.

I have heard from others covering the team that they do indeed have locker room issues. But you will never see the flaccid journos who do cover TFC go down this same line of questions

Agreed - the rumour has been going around awhile. It's a totally fair question.