Jonathan Osorio Appreciation Thread

Macksam

He looked upset coming off, but I dont think there was ever a acknowledgment that he was reinjured.  Deleon was warming up and the announcers were talking for a while about when Armas would take him off before he went down.  Sp I would guess 50/50 he wont play next week.  I dont want to see a midfield of Auro and Zavs against the Crew.

10 hours ago, Bison44 said:

He looked upset coming off, but I dont think there was ever a acknowledgment that he was reinjured.  Deleon was warming up and the announcers were talking for a while about when Armas would take him off before he went down.  Sp I would guess 50/50 he wont play next week.  I dont want to see a midfield of Auro and Zavs against the Crew.

We’ll probably see it... Vanney must have passed on at least one piece of advice to Armas - ‘Play the useless older American / non-Canadian out of position before giving the homegrown kid a run of games in his position.’

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Osorio did do well but will that be enough to warrant another start in the 2nd leg

In the Davies thread you admitted to not being able to watch the game, to the point of not knowing if Cavallini played. You then suggested that Cavallini should play (presumably instead of Cyle Larin, who is the guy who scored for us yesterday) and then come to the thread of the guy who set up the goal and question if he should really be starting next game as well. I'm interested to catch up on the other threads to see who else should be benched, or if it is just the guys who created our game winning goal.

I liked how he found another gear after the 60 min mark because I got the feeling that his defensive legs were going (and that's why I thought a fresh 8 like Wotherspoon might help).  His possession maintaining linking play is important.  His experiences in CCL really show through.  He has matured as a player: he knows what he can and can't do, and plays within those capabilities.  

On 6/13/2021 at 8:42 AM, Kent said:

In the Davies thread you admitted to not being able to watch the game, to the point of not knowing if Cavallini played. You then suggested that Cavallini should play (presumably instead of Cyle Larin, who is the guy who scored for us yesterday) and then come to the thread of the guy who set up the goal and question if he should really be starting next game as well. I'm interested to catch up on the other threads to see who else should be benched, or if it is just the guys who created our game winning goal.

He also came up with a great idea that CPL should have a bubble to play their games like NBA and NHL did. Brilliant!

On 6/14/2021 at 10:16 PM, Ruffian said:

He also came up with a great idea that CPL should have a bubble to play their games like NBA and NHL did. Brilliant!

I just assume he's eager to participate and a sincere fan, I don't think he's trolling in fact. It is just enthusiasm, I'd not make too much of it, although I too have seen the same oddities in posts.

I follow a lot of Barça fans from the world over on Twitter, and frankly the level of normal soccer posting is what it is.

• 3 months later...

I'll be honest - I've never been a huge Osorio fan.  Always thought he was a bit overrated playing with TFC (I'm a Whitecaps guy) and those overpowered teams 2017-18.  My sons feel the same way.  But after minute 42, we looked at each other and said, "if that holds up, we will never ever say anything bad about Jonathan Osorio ever again".

So I'm holding up my end of the bargain.  What a sweet goal from a oft-maligned, underappreciated player (at least in my house).  :)  And yes, Azteca is officially his house. 

I remember Osorio from the dreadful U20 qualifying campaign in 2011. He was one of the few players that showed some quality and composure on the ball. I was always bitter that TFC was able to sign him to a homegrown deal even though he spent 2 years in Uruguay and only a few months in their academy. 

As an outsider, it seemed to me like a lot of the haters were actually in Toronto. At a time when big names were being signed, there was a sense of favoritism to this local kid who wasn't at the level of his peers. Of course he wasn't...he was developing as a pro.

But I didn't envision this growth in him as a player. To me, he seemed like a passenger as Toronto developed into a Championship team. It was that CCL run that changed my mind. He was a major contributor, on the same level as his big name peers.

Bravo Jonathan.

I think he is a very good complement to our other players as he has such good close control, can play a good ball, runs into space, and can as we saw keep his head and take his chances. He is also incredibly versatile and can play any midfield position including the wings. He doesn’t have the physical skills of others whether that is strength or pace but he doesn’t need it as we have that elsewhere in spades.  We need the player to complement that who holds the ball, makes clever runs, keeps his head but plays with blood and guts. And he is that 

12 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

This thread needs a bump!

Osorio's performances for the CMNT in the last few years have been a perfect response to his banishment under Floro.

To be fair he was a very different player during the Floro era. Oso upped his work rate and commitment to the defensive side of the game. He's added a leadership role to boot. We don't have another player like him on our squad.