Olympic Qualifying U24 Tournament - Guadalajara Mexico - March 18 to 30 2021

1 minute ago, Nate3322 said:

So here are my thoughts

It's not too bad of a roster definitely hurting without the TFC guys.Sturing and Corbeanu going to the senior team maybe?  Our Central midfield is looking weak other than Baldisimo. Not sure who'll be our starting GK.  Our defence is looking pretty solid tbh. 

I like our defence outside the ??? beside Cornelius. The problem is I don't like our midfield, which will put a lot of pressure on the back line.

These are the types of tournaments where careers can get a boost, hopefully someone takes the opportunity to really kick on.

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

A lot will be riding on Dias.

Not an auspicious start Chris Armas as TFC coach from my perspective. Tough to believe that not a single TFC player could be spared given all the youth players they have, even with 3 members of the "delegation" having COVID.

A bit much to ask for one of the youngest players at the tournament, and first time with any of these players.

Sigh....go ahead and shock the community young red. 

Oh yea and f*&# TFC. 

It's not the strongest roster we could have called but there's potential there. A lot of attackers and not many central mids so will be interesting to see what they do.

-------------Bair--------------

Tabla--------Dias--------Buchanan

-------Baldisimo--Norman--------

Bassong--Cornelius--TMG----ZBG

--------------Pantemis------------

It's a solid side with some good pro experience. In my example we would have Brym, Twardek and Raposo as attacking options off the bench, which is nice. Tabla and Buchanan has the potential to be the best pair of wide players in the tournament. Bassong and ZBG could also be the best fullbacks. 

I would have never expected Norman to be a potential starter on the U23 team but he does have some good experience. 

Interesting selection. Agree with a lot of the comments so far.

Guiterrez and St. Clair jump out as probable senior call ups. 

Happy for Tabla and Raposo to get a chance. Interested to see how Daniels will do. Metcalfe, Norman and TMG are surprising, but good chance for all 3 to get some international experience. Metcalfe in particular should relish this chance, as I believe he has never been capped at any level.

I think the defense is actually pretty strong, and still surprised to see Cornelius here rather than with the Senior team given the shortages at CB right now. A back four of ZBG-Cornelius-Montgomery-Bassong should do nicely.

I'm assuming a 4-3-3 with Baldisimo and Metcalfe as pivots behind someone like Dias, Buchanan and Tabla (or Twardek/Raposo) on the wings. Where we are lacking is at the #9 position - just Bair and Brym by the looks of it.

1 minute ago, Dominic94 said:

Check out wheelers Twitter, we got fucked hard.

between Covid, travel restrictions and injury wasn’t much that could be done.

Harry Paton was called but not released, Shome is injured and every TFC player had to quarantine for 2 weeks.

Waste of listing him....he was never going to be released.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

A bit much to ask for one of the youngest players at the tournament, and first time with any of these players.

Agreed, but other than Tabla, not sure who else can really play that AM position they have him pegged for. Maybe Raposo, but none of the Whitecaps (past or present) on the roster are suitable for that spot. Its the position that we've put ourselves in (well, us and Chris Arm-ass).

Tbh this is a very good squad as is and yes the Center of the pitch would look better with Paton and or Shome, but let’s not forget almost every TFC player was eligible for next cycle, and some will be there.

the biggest loser in all of this is right now is Liam Fraser. I can’t underemphasize just how horrible his luck has been.

he would of been here last year and shone, he would played this year and shone, gets buried behind Bradley, supposed to get his shot time and time again and man has covid fucked him. The poor guy and I mean that. 

TBH on the wings we’re probably the best in the tourney and teams are going to throw fucking fits against us, depth isn’t shabby and let’s be real we’re missing 3 wingers who would start for us and here we are talking about how we’re throwing fits lol. Relish the moment we have depth.

Raposo can be a 10 btw, but Dias and the boys on the wing should be a pain for most teams, Bair is a big guy and I believe Brym is aswell, I think offensively we will thrive, plenty of creators.

In the center Baldisimo starts then idk who, no sexy names and it’s really up for grabs, this is where Baldisimo really needs to step up big time. 

defence is going to be fine, surprised not sturing but like strong. It’s clear TFC’s covid issues changed the roster big time.

Goalkeeping is fine, I’m not really worried. Sucks to not have Hasal and St Clair but the trio is good.

big tourney for Ballou, no excuses he needs to be big for us now.

Just now, reggietfc said:

Coach Mauro Biello said TFC players would likely have missed first 2 games of qualifier. #TFCLive

I would be gutted to be a TFC player right now. I know safety and all, but being a healthy scratch must absolutely suck for these young men. I feel particularly bad for the likes of Nelson and Fraser, two players who could of had a real impact in this tournament. They now miss a real important development opportunity.

Osorio and Laryea likely out for senior camp as well, which is unfortunate. 

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Agreed, but other than Tabla, not sure who else can really play that AM position they have him pegged for.

Anybody else feel like this is a kind of "last chance" opportunity for Tabla to truly prove his quality? We have seen him do some great things in AM; we just need him to return to his best form.