Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

38 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I don’t know too much about him.  Is he tied to Canada or does he have the ability to play for another country?  

He's provisionally tied to us as he's played for us at the U17 WC. I believe he is eligible for Jamaica too, but unless his career takes a Tabla-like turn (And doesn't get any caps for the senior team in the meantime) I don't see him playing for anyone else.

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He's provisionally tied to us as he's played for us at the U17 WC. I believe he is eligible for Jamaica too, but unless his career takes a Tabla-like turn (And doesn't get any caps for the senior team in the meantime) I don't see him playing for anyone else.

He also learned to play and started the game here so…

Just now, Dominic94 said:

He also learned to play and started the game here so…

Well yeah. But like I said if he goes full Tabla, or perhaps more accurate is someone like Boakai, and Canada hasn't called him up in years. That's when the "potential" for a switch enters.

I'd like to think though he won't end up like that. I have to hope so lol. I get sad when I think about how Boakai turned out.

1 hour ago, Bdog said:

So, does anyone still want to defend TFC for being awful when it comes to integrating young players into the 1st team? Anybody?

I'm not sure.  Did the move pan out? If it panned out one of the "anything TFC does is great" guys will say that it paid off so its ok.  I was so mad I turned the TV off at that point.  In the first half I was counting, Rutty won a couple nice balls, a couple of nice passes on the positive side.  On the negative side, it was easy to see he gets few minutes, has no flow, no repor with team mates, sort of step behind and a passenger on offense,  but he was starting to click a bit...and then he got yanked.  When it was Oso who looked gassed, Delgado who should have come off if you really wanted a goal, or Bradley could have come off if you want him to be able to contribute mid week.  But no, the 17 year old with fragile confidence came off.  GACK!!  Actually Bradley/delgado prob would have whined so they couldnt have been subbed off, because it seems like no coach will stand up to those 2.  

20 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

In the post-game presser Perez admitted that JMR played "great" in this 30 minutes in the middle of the game and said it was merely a tactical sub because they couldn't use him and Pozuelo on the field at the same time. Or something.

I suppose that's fair. Who would think it's a good idea to have 2 creative, attacking, talented players on the field in a game you are losing. Especially, when the alternative is a couple slow, defensive players or a couple guys that played alot recently and are exhausted. Sounds like a solid decision to me.

10 hours ago, Bdog said:

So, does anyone still want to defend TFC for being awful when it comes to integrating young players into the 1st team? Anybody?

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Conflict of interest. Perez is trying to win the job when the season is lost. Management has to manage.

That's how I saw the disappointing move to sub off JMR.  Which when I think about still doesn't make complete sense.

Just another example of the lack of any direction this team has shown this year. 😞 

Disappointing to see JMR come off instead of, say, a tired Osorio, but asking why Altidore is even playing is pretty clueless. They're paying him $4 million a year. Of course he's going to play whenever he can, especially as there's still a cup game coming up in two weeks' time.

Anyway, JMR still seems extremely timid in his decision-making. He appears risk-averse to a fault, which isn't what you want from an attacking player. There have been (increasing) flashes of good play from him, and his skill on the ball is obvious, but it seems as though he's still way too deferential when in the final third.

Hopefully that changes with more playing time. For all the complaining in here, it's pretty clear that JMR is the kid TFC is trying to blood the most out of the (available) youngsters.

Is it not enough? Maybe. But he's still a 17 year old getting into most games now.

I'd like to see him get a start, preferably at home.

32 minutes ago, RS said:

Disappointing to see JMR come off instead of, say, a tired Osorio, but asking why Altidore is even playing is pretty clueless. They're paying him $4 million a year. Of course he's going to play whenever he can, especially as there's still a cup game coming up in two weeks' time.

Anyway, JMR still seems extremely timid in his decision-making. He appears risk-averse to a fault, which isn't what you want from an attacking player. There have been (increasing) flashes of good play from him, and his skill on the ball is obvious, but it seems as though he's still way too deferential when in the final third.

Hopefully that changes with more playing time. For all the complaining in here, it's pretty clear that JMR is the kid TFC is trying to blood the most out of the (available) youngsters.

Is it not enough? Maybe. But he's still a 17 year old getting into most games now.

I'd like to see him get a start, preferably at home.

It's lose-lose for him.

Play with confidence but potentially make a mistake: you get pulled.

Play safe: you get pulled.

I agree, he's timid, but I don't think he's indecisive.  In the thirty minutes he played yesterday, he maintained possession.  Yes, they were often back passes, but he was playing safe.

And I would disagree that TFC is trying to "blood him the most".  It is clear by what happened that JMR would never have got time on the pitch if it weren't for Achara's injury.  His role yesterday was benchwarmer, but the injury forced Perez's hand.  Not unlike what happened with Endoh.

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

And I would disagree that TFC is trying to "blood him the most".  It is clear by what happened that JMR would never have got time on the pitch if it weren't for Achara's injury.  His role yesterday was benchwarmer, but the injury forced Perez's hand.  Not unlike what happened with Endoh.

Exactly this.  If the 60th minute subs were pretty-planned (which apparently was the case) then JMR was just bench filler. 

39 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

It's lose-lose for him.

Play with confidence but potentially make a mistake: you get pulled.

Play safe: you get pulled.

When has he played with the kind of confidence befitting his stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS? He's supremely talented for his age, but he almost doesn't seem to realize that.

I agree, he's timid, but I don't think he's indecisive.  In the thirty minutes he played yesterday, he maintained possession.  Yes, they were often back passes, but he was playing safe.

Playing safe as an attacking player is being timid. They're the same thing.

JMR isn't auditioning for the Delgado position on the team. 

He's the young player getting the most minutes lately, regardless of the situation. People here are too hung up on JMR playing a bench role and getting minutes as a result of injury. That's normal for young players all over the world.

The determining factor is what JMR does with those minutes when he gets them. Priso grabbed the opportunity with both hands before his injury, as did Akinola, whereas JMR and Nelson haven't — yet.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Exactly this.  If the 60th minute subs were pretty-planned (which apparently was the case) then JMR was just bench filler. 

Mullins and DeLeon were also on the bench. Neither of them got into the game, despite this board insisting that they are always preferred over the Canadian youngsters.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Mullins and DeLeon were also on the bench. Neither of them got into the game, despite this board insisting that they are always preferred over the Canadian youngsters.

One exception doesn’t disprove the general point.  

Mullins has 627 minutes.

Deleon has 506 minutes.

JMR has 115 minutes.

The facts indisputably support the idea that they have been strongly preferred to giving minutes to the youngsters.  And prior to last night, JMR was given less than the equivalent of a full game over the course of the first 28 games of this season.  

22 minutes ago, RS said:

I don't know,man. CF MTL's Canadians don't have half the potential that Toronto's Canadians have yet Nancy constantly plays 6 Canucks every game. Maybe it's because MTL's management is too cheap to bring in international players or maybe because they realize by developing local talent is the way to draw in more fans.

And incidentally they can't use the out of the playoffs reason for playing Canucks. They're in the middle of a playoff race,

Edited by Sal333

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

One exception doesn’t disprove the general point.  

Mullins has 627 minutes.

Deleon has 506 minutes.

JMR has 115 minutes.

The facts indisputably support the idea that they have been strongly preferred to giving minutes to the youngsters.  And prior to last night, JMR was given less than the equivalent of a full game over the course of the first 28 games of this season.  

Right, I'm not arguing that JMR has gotten more minutes than two veterans over the course of the season. I'm saying that he is being chosen over them now.

He's gotten into a bunch of games in a row instead of the likes of Mullins and DeLeon. Which is exactly what people on here have been clamouring for.

The trend for JMR is upward, which is also an indisputable fact. I hope it continues to rise, like everyone else on here, but I just want to see more fearlessness when he does take the field.

And I don't buy that he "gets pulled" when he plays with confidence, because he only ever got pulled from a game once (in an obviously pre-planned move to get TFC's two highest-paid players on the field for the first time in months). Even then, I think it was the wrong players being taken off and JMR should've stayed on the field instead of a gassed Osorio.

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know,man. CF MTL's Canadians don't have half the potential that Toronto's Canadians have yet Nancy constantly plays 6 Canucks every game. Maybe it's because MTL's management is too cheap to bring in international players or maybe because they realize by developing local talent is the way to draw in more fans.

I've already pointed out in this thread that all of Montreal's Canadians (and Vancouver's) are older than TFC's high-potential youngsters. Apples to oranges, and to be honest until this season TFC had no problems drawing in fans.

Injuries also come into play here. Akinola likely would have started every game if not for his injury, and Priso was also making a strong case to be a full-time starter. Those two are also younger than any Canadian starting for CFMTL or the Whitecaps.

26 minutes ago, RS said:

When has he played with the kind of confidence befitting his stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS? He's supremely talented for his age, but he almost doesn't seem to realize that.

Playing safe as an attacking player is being timid. They're the same thing.

JMR isn't auditioning for the Delgado position on the team. 

In my experience, when a coach puts on a young player, the number one priority for them is to not make a mistake, play it safe, don't lose possession.  This is exactly what JMR did.  Rarely does a coach put on a young player expecting them to dazzle the opponent and give them free reign.

As for being timid, how does yanking him after 30 minutes improve this situation?  It is clear that the leash is very short for him and other young players.  Doesn't really give them the confidence to express themselves.

Further to that, his "stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS" was bestowed upon him by TFC brass.  So, either TFC overvalued him or they aren't putting him in a position to succeed.

26 minutes ago, RS said:

He's the young player getting the most minutes lately, regardless of the situation. People here are too hung up on JMR playing a bench role and getting minutes as a result of injury. That's normal for young players all over the world.

The determining factor is what JMR does with those minutes when he gets them. Priso grabbed the opportunity with both hands, whereas JMR and Nelson haven't — yet.

Priso started 2021 with four straight starts.  Last night was the first time all year where either JMR or Nelsen got any sort of playing time in more than two straight games.  It is not like Priso did something that the other kids didn't, he just didn't get yanked as quickly.

Even then, Priso did not start (or even see the pitch) with any regularity once we got into mid-May.  Once again, he only started playing before his injury because he was another first-half injury sub.

25 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Further to that, his "stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS" was bestowed upon him by TFC brass.

Can we stop perpetuating this? JMR was being hyped by many outside of TFC's offices years ago based on his USSDA dominance. A five-second Google search brings up Matt Doyle quoting "people who watch a lot of youth soccer, and a lot of USL" who touted Marshall-Rutty as a Gio Reyna-level talent as a 15-year-old.

Travis Clark (Top Drawer Soccer) has spoken about JMR being a/the top 2004 in NA for years.

Ali Curtis' comments quoted in the Guardian were not in isolation.

Even then, Priso did not start (or even see the pitch) with any regularity once we got into mid-May.  Once again, he only started playing before his injury because he was another first-half injury sub.

Once again, that's extremely normal the world over. Teenagers are almost never simply handed starts or substantial playing time without proving themselves in garbage-time minutes/injury substitutions first.

That's even more true for players who are 17 (in Marshall-Rutty's case, Priso was 18 for most of this season).

As for being timid, how does yanking him after 30 minutes improve this situation?

That's on the coach to clearly communicate that the plan is to bring on Altidore and Pozuelo, regardless of what's happening. If Perez didn't then that's his failing, not JMR's.

Ok you don’t and I repeat you don’t sub a young kid on and then sub him off , unless the young kid is shitting the bed and he was not , he was having a decent game . Moreover, you have fuck all to play for and you do that to the kids confidence, I’m still angry today at what  I witnessed yesterday with that subbing off of JMR . This organization needs to smarten up and quick because right now they can’t draw flies to their games . I’ve been at this along time and it won’t take much more before this team joins the many other teams before it in that grave yard of professional soccer teams where many teams are buried. 

3 hours ago, RS said:

Can we stop perpetuating this? JMR was being hyped by many outside of TFC's offices years ago based on his USSDA dominance. A five-second Google search brings up Matt Doyle quoting "people who watch a lot of youth soccer, and a lot of USL" who touted Marshall-Rutty as a Gio Reyna-level talent as a 15-year-old.

Travis Clark (Top Drawer Soccer) has spoken about JMR being a/the top 2004 in NA for years.

Ali Curtis' comments quoted in the Guardian were not in isolation.

Okay, cool.  Sounds great.  So, who's to blame then that he's not playing "with the kind of confidence befitting his stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS"?  Are we going to put this all on his shoulders?  

3 hours ago, RS said:

Once again, that's extremely normal the world over. Teenagers are almost never simply handed starts or substantial playing time without proving themselves in garbage-time minutes/injury substitutions first.

That's even more true for players who are 17 (in Marshall-Rutty's case, Priso was 18 for most of this season).

Yes, I agree.  I understand that.  However, usually when a teenager does well, he is rewarded with more playing time.  I just don't see this with TFC:

Case Study #1 - Ralph Priso.  Most say this season was successful up until his injury.  You yourself have mentioned him in the last few posts.  On May 12th, he played 77 minutes in a 2-0 win over Columbus (it was 1-0 when he was subbed out).  Hard to say that he was a liability in a game like this.  However, after that game he's dropped to the bench for the next three games (1 draw, 2 losses) in favour of Auro because TFC just picked up Lawrence.  They preferred playing someone out of position over him after he'd had a month and a half of decent runs in the side.

Case Study #2 - Jacob Shaffelburg.  This one is a little less damning, but worth mentioning all the same: scored his first goal coming on as a substitute to salvage a draw with NYCFC.  Generally that would be considered making the most of the opportunity given.  However, he is relegated to the bench for the next game as TFC decide to go with a front four of Altidore, Soteldo, Osorio and Delgado (who was playing in a forward role to make room for Auro at d-mid).  He does get a substitute cameo to come on for D-mid Auro.  I assume Delgado moved back to that position.  He would then to go on to have spot duty until mid-September where he luckily plays lights out.  However, last night he didn't put the team on his back, so I am betting that he starts on the bench against Miami.  We shall see.