Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty

shamrock

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Okay, cool.  Sounds great.  So, who's to blame then that he's not playing "with the kind of confidence befitting his stature as one of the top teenagers in MLS"?  Are we going to put this all on his shoulders?  

My entire point is that it's way too early to judge the club's handling of his development as a failure, as many here are all too eager to do. He's playing more now than he did earlier this season, and will presumably play more next season than he is now.

Even if it's not that linear a progression, it should still trend upward for the foreseeable future. At some point, it will be on his shoulders to make the most of his opportunities, but that's obviously not yet.

Right now he's playing based on potential rather than output, which is normal. If he flames out Tabla style (where multiple coaches and teams come to the same conclusion) then perhaps it'll only be on his shoulders, but if he simply doesn't pan out at this level then the club should absolutely share the blame.

As for why he's not playing with confidence now is anybody's guess, but I'm not sure there has to be anyone to blame. He's certainly not the first teenager to play timidly when stepping up to the first team, but it's something both he and the club will want to figure out.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Case Study #1 - Ralph Priso.  Most say this season was successful up until his injury.  You yourself have mentioned him in the last few posts.  On May 12th, he played 77 minutes in a 2-0 win over Columbus (it was 1-0 when he was subbed out).  Hard to say that he was a liability in a game like this.  However, after that game he's dropped to the bench for the next three games (1 draw, 2 losses) in favour of Auro because TFC just picked up Lawrence.  They preferred playing someone out of position over him after he'd had a month and a half of decent runs in the side.

A case study that fails to mention that he went on to make seven more appearances (four starts) before getting injured is incomplete.

The ill-fated Auro at DM experiment was one of several reasons Chris Armas got canned, but it doesn't really speak to the club's overall use of Priso this season and last.

31 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Case Study #2 - Jacob Shaffelburg.  This one is a little less damning, but worth mentioning all the same: scored his first goal coming on as a substitute to salvage a draw with NYCFC.  Generally that would be considered making the most of the opportunity given.  However, he is relegated to the bench for the next game as TFC decide to go with a front four of Altidore, Soteldo, Osorio and Delgado (who was playing in a forward role to make room for Auro at d-mid).  He does get a substitute cameo to come on for D-mid Auro.  I assume Delgado moved back to that position.  He would then to go on to have spot duty until mid-September where he luckily plays lights out.  However, last night he didn't put the team on his back, so I am betting that he starts on the bench against Miami.  We shall see.

If anything pushes Shaffelburg to the bench in the next game it would be the continued re-integration of Altidore and Pozeulo into the side, not that he "didn't put the team on his back."

As for this specific example, I don't know if scoring a goal as a substitute should automatically mean he should get to start in the next game, but as a Shafell-stan I don't think it would've hurt the team to do so. The team was experimenting with all sorts of crazy ideas under Armas and has gone back to a more conservative approach with Perez at the helm. It is what it is.

Tweet gets posted that says Marshall-Rutty is improving but could be more fearless.

This board: "💙💙💙💙💙"

I post that Marshall-Rutty is improving but could be more fearless.

This board: "HOW DARE YOU?!"

I'm mostly joke-trolling at this point, but I do stand behind what I'm saying. I think many in here are way oversimplifying things.

10 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

In the post-game presser Perez admitted that JMR played "great" in this 30 minutes in the middle of the game and said it was merely a tactical sub because they couldn't use him and Pozuelo on the field at the same time. Or something.

that worked really well...now we are in a battle for the spoon again

4 hours ago, RS said:

Tweet gets posted that says Marshall-Rutty is improving but could be more fearless.

This board: "💙💙💙💙💙"

I post that Marshall-Rutty is improving but could be more fearless.

This board: "HOW DARE YOU?!"

I'm mostly joke-trolling at this point, but I do stand behind what I'm saying. I think many in here are way oversimplifying things.

I agree with you about him being more fearless, but that comes with confidence, and as far as killing confidence goes in the football world, being subbed on and subbed off in 30 minutes might be one of the worst things you can do regardless of whether the sub is planned or unplanned

1 hour ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I agree with you about him being more fearless, but that comes with confidence, and as far as killing confidence goes in the football world, being subbed on and subbed off in 30 minutes might be one of the worst things you can do regardless of whether the sub is planned or unplanned

Exactly this, and Galindo’s highlights suggest to me that he should have played the whole game. Only time you pull off a sub is if he’s brutal and to send him a message…

10 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Agreed, it was an ill-advised move. The coach would've had to make it clear beforehand that the sub was coming, but there were other players he could've pulled first.

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

@Dominic94 I’m sure there is a ton of pressure from above.

Its one thing to be terrible.  It’s even worse to be terrible and not have anything positive to take to the next season regarding player development.

Agreed 100%, and looking to the highlights he may be both a 10 and on the right wing, he hit some good balls.

I thought he was much better in the last game. I was disappointed he was subbed out, but I doubt it was a confidence sapping move (unless something has been said that he didn't know it was coming?). He very likely knew why he was subbed out, probably would have been told at half time if not earlier. It might have even given him more of a spark to make, for example, that big run defensive play. Might as well run hard now since you'll be coming out soon!

I'm happy to hear he'll start the next game though, hopefully he can play a bit better again, and yes hopefully more than 30 minutes this time!

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

He looks noticeably more mature physically, even from the start of this season. Maybe I'm just misremembering. It was nice to see his pace against Atlanta. His mind seems to work like a combiner mores so than a pure winger, so if he has both skill sets available that's encouraging.

No, you’re not wrong. He looked like he was 5’5 130 pounds soaking wet at the start of the year. Not any longer.